Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
id thought id have a quick checkup on the air box and filter after the ducting mod (1.5 months later) and there is loads of rust in the airbox and on the panel filer. see pics.

Posted Image

Posted Image

ignore the wire i have cut it...

please can some one advise me how to clean the panel filter (i have no cleaning kit and i want to get it done today what is the best way i can do it with house hold items)

also please can any one else tell me/check weather this has happened to them?!

please can any one advise on ducing that dont bloody rust!

i was wondering why she hasnt got as much poke as she should this is why no doubt.

thanks allot and merry christmas

myk3

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Bill advised cleaning the filter with biological washing powder followed by a good rinse and dry out.

You could do with lightly reoiling the filter when you get chance though.

Some Green elements have been prone to rust, contact your supplier for
a refund if that's the case, mine certainly isn't as I've been running
the same setup for over 12 months now and haven't seen anything like
that. My airbox is always clean and free from any debris and signs of
contamination.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bill advised cleaning the filter with biological washing powder followed by a good rinse and dry out.

Some Green elements have been prone to rust, contact your supplier for a refund if that's the case, mine certainly isn't as I've been running the same setup for over 12 months now and haven't seen anything like that. My airbox is always clean and free from any debris and signs of contamination.
thanks gary for the reply, it isnt the filter rusting... it is the coils in the ducting that is, and then it is breating it in to the box then up on to the filter, has your ducting got any rust on the coils?

also what does the oil do??

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Wouldn't this cause MAF problems though?

I removed my Green filter yesterday and replaced it with my old OEM paper filter as my car has started to chuck out loads of smoke recently.

The OEM filter and an ECU reset has resolved the smoke issue.

I inspected my Green filter and it doesn't look too bad, certainly not rusty......it's just very black!

Airbox was clean and dry also.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Same happened with my green ducting from Badger5. I will say thought Bill was mega helpful and offered to exchange it for another or the aluminumized version from the dynatwist.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Same happened with my green ducting from Badger5. I will say thought Bill was mega helpful and offered to exchange it for another or the aluminumized version from the dynatwist.
has the same happened to this one?? as i need to get one that will never rust again. so what is the need to the oil on the filter??? cheers

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Cleaning in biological power?

I cant see how if it has a good rinse and light re-oil.

After all it was Bill Brockbanks recommendation which seems like good advice.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Cleaning in biological power?
I cant see how if it has a good rinse and light re-oil.

After all it was Bill Brockbanks recommendation which seems like good advice.
Sorry, I was referring to the oil causing MAF problems, not the biological powder lol!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Sorry, I was referring to the oil causing MAF problems, not the biological powder lol!
LOL, I think the key is to very lightly oil, don't go mad with it.

Use kitchen roll to absorb any excess.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i have cleaned it with washing powder and i took the car for a spin with the maf unpluged and, omg it was soo much more powerful. it pulls really nice now. the cotton air filter is still stained [:mad:] so i may have to buy another at a later stage. i pluged the maf back in and it seems to pull just the same as it did with it off so all should be well. now i need someone to advise me on what ducing to get that dont rust to avoid this prob happeneing again!!! what stuff you guys using and has it rusted atall?

thanks

myk3

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
You must have dried that quickly, give the missus her hairdryer back!!

It was always my intention to clean my 18month old filter which is why I asked Bill for cleaning advice.

Anyway, my Green element is currently sat in what can now not be called
a clean white bath, I can't believe the dirt that's coming off!!

I'm in so much trouble if the bath doesn't end up the way it was at the start of the day[:'(]

Did yours hold so much dirt?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yep used the old hair dryer. i didnt have much dirt as its only been in there for like 2 months if that. but i have loads of rust in it and the cotton is stained [:mad:] so i may have to get another one at one point. what ductng are you using mate as ill prob get the same one as you. let me no, thanks allot.
myk3

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
oh and take her for a spin after you cleand it... let us no how much better it pulls [:D] by the sounds of it yours will gain quite a bit more power back.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Im using a Green Cotton Ducting - G80TW.

Again it has a metal spiral banding for strength which does rust slightly but I havent seen anything at all in the airbox.

Clicky

1 - 20 of 46 Posts