Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just in the process of organising a trial of some 8700's. From what I've read about them they seem a good alternative to the XDA market - which we were looking at going with due to the remote connectivity aspects. We need access via RDC to some systems in work plus email on the move.

Anyone on here using Blackberry devices? Any comments on them, usability, system coverage and problems (if any) etc. ?

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I set up a Blackberry Enterprise Server at our place - running on a Lotus Domino server with 20 devices.

We have a mixture of 7230's, 7100v's, Nokia 9300's and Vodafone v1620's (the last two use Blackberry Connect).

The only problems we've had are the 7230 devices becoming corrupt and needing reflashing with the latest firmware. Other than that, since we upgraded the BES to v4.0 and applied the latest patches it has been very stable.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Sem, forgot to mention we'll be using Exchange as our back end email server. Luckily we potentially only have around 10 devices max that will be used so we can go for the lower priced server option.

How are you finding connectivity, is coverage good around where you are?

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Not using a blackberry but have used an XDa and an Ipaq/Mobile combo for a while.. Obviously they are no match for the balckberry push-mail system.

So I have just upgraded to an Orange SPV C600 and had the Microsoft AGU2 update which allows push email direct from our exchange 2003 server... It is an excelent piece of kit as the phone is the size of a standard Nokia so no one has any objections to it, but as all the software is Microsoft (Phones included) there are no extra licensing issues and costs. For the moment I still carry my Ipaq purely for the terminal services client but this happily connects via GPRS and bluetooth on any phone . The only pre requisites are exchange 2003 service pack 2

I would also suggest having a look at T-Mobile as the Data Carrier as they have just released some very cheap Unlimited GPRS bundles... If thats what there doing for the domestic market there commercial ones must be excelent

As you can see here orange now place the SPV phones alongside the Blackberry so there is definately mileage in comparing the devices
http://www.business.orange.co.uk/servlet/Satellite?pagename=Business/Devices&context=corporate

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Its funny you mention this is as we are currently using the
8700`s on a trial basis, we originally had the old 7230`s which worked quite
well with the occasional firmware flash needed, we held onto these for a while
and decided to upgrade to the 7100`s which were a lot better to use and used predictive
text and also were a lot smaller compared to the bulky 7230`s. We have around
50+ handheld devices throughout <st1:place w:st="on">Europe</st1:place> running
through our main BES server (still on 3.6) connected with our backend exchange
2003 server.

<o:p> </o:p>

I?ve been testing out the 8700`s for the past month now and
have found them a lot faster in terms of browsing though menus and generally a
lot more responsive. It also has a 320 pixel wide display, which comes in handy
viewing pdf`s and word docs.

The battery lasts around a week depending on usage and the
browser seems to have been updated aswell.

I?ve been trying to hide my 8700 from prying eye`s
as most users will most definitely
want to upgrade to the new one, most people here always want the latest
and greatest gadgets, provided I.T has them aswell [;)], but I have been putting it off for now until we
upgrade to BES 4.0 which will probably mean getting all the 7100`s back and
upgrading to the 8700`s ? Cant wait [8-|]

here`s a comparison with all three

Posted Image

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We've been offered a decent rate from Orange if we go with them for Data. Also as we're already with them its less hassle to get no's ported over etc. We've been looking at Organge's SPV M5000 as well. Hopefully should have one to test soon, would be a good side by side comparison to the BB 8700.

Cheers for the info on the Exchange update, wasn't aware of that one. It would strengthen the case for going with a MS based product, especially if its not tied down to licencing costs.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Not using a blackberry but have used an XDa and an Ipaq/Mobile combo for a while.. Obviously they are no match for the balckberry push-mail system.

So I have just upgraded to an Orange SPV C600 and had the Microsoft AGU2 update which allows push email direct from our exchange 2003 server... . The only pre requisites are exchange 2003 service pack 2
Andy, where did you get the AGU2 update from and how easy is it to implement? I have a Palm Treo 700w (the windows based one) and want to synchronise remotely with the work exchange server. My bosses have blackberries but won't give us one and I got a good deal on the Treo so snapped it up (my spv doesn't work out here as we are on CDMA and not GSM)

Cheers

Ian

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
The agu2 update on orange is only available on the spvc600 at the
moment... however have a look at the modaco forums as there are alot of
hacks out there to implement it on different platforms

·
Registered
582 Posts
thanks

I've been reading about the MSFP (messaging and security feature pack) that Microsoft are supposed to be releasing to allow true push email, but the website still says coming second half of 2005! I'll have a look at modaco.

On a side note, have you used xcpuscalar? I downloaded the free version and you can overclock the processor within safe limits. My base spec is 312 but I have been running okay at 520 [:)]

Another useful tool for mobile 5.0 is spb pocket plus as it puts a lot of handy info on the today screen so you don't need to search through the menus

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
The agu2 update on orange is only available on the spvc600 at the
moment... however have a look at the modaco forums as there are alot of
hacks out there to implement it on different platforms
Andy got a link anyway please??? Looking at tweaking my Exchange server here to allow this to happen, and I've had my SPVC600 a few weeks now, so it's ready for some proper playing with [y]

Cheers in advance fella

C

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quick update. Still waiting for the Blackberry's to come in - however after doing some digging it seems theyr're not going to offer what we need in terms of remote connectivity i.e. terminal services access via VPN. The Sonic Admin tools look good but we have no requirement for shell access etc.

We're now looking at the XDA route, in particular the Orange SPV M600 and M5000 - although the M5000 is a tad on the heave side at 285g. Going to pop into an Orange supplier and take a look first hand at the devices anyway. O2's XDA Mini S is also on the hit list.

I know Andy is running the M500 but has any experiene of the M5000?

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
No experience of the m5000 yet... however I still use my PDA (ipaq 2210) for remote administration, vi a bluetooth and GPRS.... there are 2 reasons i havent swapped to an all in one unit is 1 I need the dual memory card interface of my ipaq for file copys and various accessories that are compact flash and wifi and 2 i also dont want to lump a full form factor PDA around the pub on a night out.... often if I am on call I will just carry the phone and leave the PDA hidden in the car so RDP is never far away..

As soon as someone release a PDA/phone with dual memory slots and a serail interface... or even better USB host capabilities i will probably swap to a single unit.

basically I need my phone PDA to do the following
Excel
Word
RDP
Exchange Sync
GPRS
Wifi
SD slot
Serial Cable
Voice
Bluetooth for handsfree
VNC
CF slot or secondary SD slot
WIFI (Via expansion slot)
Speakerphone

Desirable functions would be
USB host
Mini Keyboard

I am not looking for alot really.............. LOL
Inbuilt WIFi

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The phrase... 'The Moon a Stick' springs to mind [:D]

Get what you're saying about the portability aspect, I'm carrying two
phones with me at the moment (6230i and N-Gauge) and its alot. We were
issued with PDA's for remote use and it just got a little silly, combat
pants don't even do it justice.

At the moment the M600 is running in first place, it does most things
we need. The only thing we would like to have is a built in qwerty
keyboard, however thats a little too much to ask and its probably
easier just to use a bluetooth one for the interim until someone
develops a portable Jean Michel Jarre type device [:p]

·
Registered
582 Posts
orange are supposed to be releasing the Treo 700w later this quarter - might be worth waiting and having a look at? It's a pretty good form factor with full qwerty keyboard.
It's also rumoured that the next release will include built in wifi (at the moment you have to use an SD wifi card)

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Had a look at the M2000, its quite old now and still runs mobile 2003 (We can upgrade to Mobile 5 but will it infringe the warranty?). For the size its a good unit though, and the slide out qwerty keypad makes things a little easier.

Also had a good look at the M5000 - big bit of kit, fairly heavy as well but its does everything we want (sods law).

For comprimise the M600 (with Mobile 5) installed is the winner. The only drawback I can see if that it doesn't support 3G.

Bowdie - Had a quick look at the Treo, looks a good pice of kit. No details on a release date yet though.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Tabs, the Treo is an okay bit of kit. At the moment it is only on CDMA not GSM but Orange are supposed to be one of the first networks to have the GSM version when it is released (I'll try and dig out the link to where I read that).
I've had mine for a couple of months and it does have some teething issues, but nothing you can't live with (occasionally hangs for a couple of seconds). Some of the forums are moaning about the fact that it only has 32mb ram and that only 13mb is available for running user programmes, but I haven't had any major problems (although I only have a couple of applications open at any one time). I was going to get a Dell X51v and use that as well as my work phone, but decided to get the Treo instead so that I just had the one device. As I said, I only use a couple of applications at a time (excel, email and maybe the camera when I am on site and updating valuations etc) so it may not be suitable for power users unless they release a newer version with 64mb

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Bowdie, thanks for the link fella, appreciated [y]

Had a look at the M2000, its quite old now and still runs mobile 2003 (We can upgrade to Mobile 5 but will it infringe the warranty?).
Mark, one thing I will say is I've seen people update PDAs and the like from 2003 (v1 and v2) to Windows Mobile 5, and they've never worked as you'd expect. Take care if you investigate this path, could turn into a nightmare! [:|]

C

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cheers for the word of caution Ck - I'm seeing a few horror stories on some forums re. strange issues with XDA's.

Update - We have a new contender in the running. Just been out to look at o2's mini XDA 2, albeit in different guise with Vodafone and T-Mobile. I like the unit, it fits the bill being not too bulky and has all the features we need apart from 3G. It has built in wireless b/g which is a welcome feature.

We're going to look at the tarrifs between o2, T-Mobile and Vodafone. Ideally we need something that mirrors our current deal with Orange plus data.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts