Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Anniversary TDI PD 150 is creating quite a lot of black smoke at the moment and has been for a while and I am concerned. There is only 34k miles on the clock and she was serviced at 29k.

Also the fuel economy has been quite poor, normally 43mpg and as low as 40 last week! I do have a heavy right foot though :?) Beside the black smoke she is running very well, with no dead spots.

I have read all the threads about changing the MAF and am looking into it. Would you think a new MAF and possibly new air filter would solve the smoke issues?

It is quite embarrising as when I really put my foot down I leave the boy racers in a cloud of diesel smoke. I have also had some other motorists flashing me !!

Advice most appreciated!!???

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Use a diesel additive as you may just need to clean your injectors i
know this as we did it too sonnys and it stopped smoking after a few
miles.

Sat

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it recommended to use Injector cleaners in PD engines? Can anyone recommend a good make? Dont like the look of the STP stuff ..... :?)

New MAF, paper air filter????

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Check pipework for the intercooler, Particulalry the joints.

If its seriously bad black smoke I would be looking here first.

Also if the intercooler pipework has fractured I would be looking to upgrade to an aftermarket front mount. The pipework joints on the VW ones are prone to fractures.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A new Turbo and Intercooler was fitted under warranty just before I bought it. I think that was at the 29k mile service (so the previous owner said anyway!).

Is the Intercooler mounted at the front of the engine down low on the passenger side? Think this is the case on the TDI 150 engines??

·
Registered
116 Posts
My anni has the intercooler mounted front and centre, so i would assume yours is the same.

Mine has started to smoke more on start up, but hardly any after that so i will probably have to clean the injectors too. Its just rolled past the 100,000mile marker on all original equipment (except breaks, tyres and the bloody fans!) so i'd get it checked if ya havin more problems after the injector cleaner has gone through!

Leigh

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
ive got no black smoke but am having trouble with the mpg, down to 38-40mpg today, it does need servicing, which will hopefully help, its only done 16k now.  What is a MAF sensor guys?  sorry moved from a pug 306, to an anniversary tdi, so few things im yet unsure about

·
Registered
5 Posts
I take it you haven't ran it on cheap (red even?) diesel and you haven't had her chipped or a tuning box installed or anything?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
It is safe to run fuel system cleaner through a Pd, I use BG 44K, forgot the complete name but it comes in a silver can, about ?20 max, very good stuff as long as you run it through right.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Certainly not!

Run on standard diesel all the time. Engine is also all standard, no remap/tuning box etc etc.

I got a bottle of Redex Advanced from Halfords today. So am going to give that a go when I fill up next time.

Will keep you posted and let you know how I get on.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Never used redex, not what id go for personally, anyway theres probably instructions with it but make sure you dont just put it in and razz your car about everywhere, that way you`ll notice no differance. You need steady driving, and vary the styles etc...preferably around town driving.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I looked at the various makes in Halfords and this looked like the best stuff. There was some other cheaper alternatives.

I have not been able to find out if putting an injector cleaner in a PD engine is recommended. As above can anyone please advise before I potentially feck my engine.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I would take it out for a drive, let it warm up and nail the throttle it should pick up cleanly and rev right to the redline. Loads of black soot should clear through the exhaust after a few runs at high revs - very little soot should remain. If this happens thn your car is fine. Always let the turbo 'rest' after a hard run before turning off.

If thhe soot does not clear then I think your car is running rich. The most common reason for that is a faulty MAF or leaking boost either of these means not enough air. My turbo hose split nr the rhs of my engine block, black smoke and about 2 BHP.

I really don't think u need to use injector cleaner on your engine, I
don't think thats the problem. But if u want to use one I would
recommend Comma Diesel Magic (orange bottle 7 Quid) or Millers Diesel
power Plus - (not used this stuff, but its a long term additive). Or u
could use BP ultimate. BTW - standard diesel does smoke more than Ulimate or diesel extra, I'm guessing because it burns less cleanly.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I suggest if you want to cure the problem then get rid of your diesel and buy a petrol - lol

Sorry - someone had to say it
Would that be a 1.8T then? Hmmm, remind me which is faster the 1.8T or the 1.9 Tractor?[;)]

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Right I finally got a resolution to the Black Smoke!

I started off by replacing the Paper Air filter a few weeks back, the current one was so dirty, black in fact! I then added the above Advanced Diesel Redex treatment. This did not improve things too much.

Then at the weekend I decided to do an oil change. I got some Castrol Edge 5W-40 (Short Service Interval oil), oil filter and new fuel filter.

I jacked up the car on both sides and put stands under her for safety. The engine under tray was handing down in one place and I also noticed that the passenger arch liner had been worn away by the tyre. From closer inspection it looks like the bl**dy stealer (who last serviced the car before I purchansed it) did not put it back propeerly.

I took off the engine cover and inspected the bottom of the engine. There was quite a bit of oil on the inside of the understay, probably from the dealer changing the filter without removing it or just someone being very lazy! I cleaned this with degreaser.

I then spotted that a large pipe coming from the intercooler (front of engine on the TDI 150) was not connected properly! When it comes out of the intercooler and goes to the Turbo, there is a connector down by the bottom of the Rad. I took off the clip and pushed the two sections back together correctly.

I know from the service history that a new turbo and intercooler was fitted at 29k before I bough the Anni and I have a feeling the stealer did a shoody job.

Anyway, I drained the oil, replaced the oil filter and fuel filter and repaired the undertray with some gutter bolts. Cleaned around the bottom of the engine bay and got it nice a clean.

I took her for a run and she is running like a dream! No smoke at all, only a little when I really put my foot down. So the damn turbo was sucking in hot and dirty air directly into the Turbo and causing all the smoke. No wonder!

I drove up from home last night and I must say I am really impressed with the Castol Edge oil. The trip read as high as 58.1 average MPG. It never read that high!

Very pleased that I now have it sorted.

Freeglide

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Glad u got it sorted.

I had a similar problem with my intercooler pipe but mine had cracked so the clip just kept on slipping off. Just to let u know that my new one is different. VW appear to have modded the design at either end of the pipe has different pastic fitting (less brittle feeling). Its a shame that the return pipe was not changed as well.

My lower cover is also covered in drips of oil too!! Apparently its oil from the turbo which gets into the intercooler pipes and forced out under pressure - its normal.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
"Check pipework for the intercooler, Particulalry the joints.

If its seriously bad black smoke I would be looking here first.

Also if the intercooler pipework has fractured I would be looking to upgrade to an aftermarket front mount. The pipework joints on the VW ones are prone to fractures. "

I was correct, only cos I had it happen to me :p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.