Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hiya guys..im havin difficulty with my nice Golf TDI 90hp in reachin 100mph .... its not that i want to reach that speed [;)] i just want to know why i cant acheive it?? ... now for the cars history....

i bought it in march this year..had a massive lack of power so i replaced the MAF (but bought the pattened version cos it was cheaper)...i did not have smoke at all before this??..... i got carried away and then took away the pipe from the air filter to the radiator-ish area and after noticing the smoke i replaced it imediately.... and i still have the smoke but only when the TURBO kicks in?? so u can imagine the friends i make on the road...

ive had the VAG machine attached and had no faults at all showing... so has any 1 got some answers pls cos im sick of looking out of my back window to see the bloody smoke!! and i would like to know if any1 can help on the speed restriction..

thanxx soo much guys

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
disconest the battery for 15 minutes to resete the ECu then the ECU will re-learn what the ne MAF is giving it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice 1 m8y..i appreaciate all the help i can get.. ive just this minute took off the battery connector and will give it a blast in a short while ..and will let u know asap if that idea has changed anything at all.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Nice 1 m8y..i appreaciate
all the help i can get.. ive just this minute took off the battery
connector and will give it a blast in a short while ..and will let u
know asap if that idea has changed anything at all.
That post was a long time ago, you don't think he's broken down somewhere do you!?

·
Registered
198 Posts
i would tend to think the pattern maf you bought might not be right.

The way to confirm would be to do some loggin with VAG COM for the requested vs actual air flow figures.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Also check your air filter ain't blocked - always try the basics first.

Think you should get at least 110mph out of them

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Also check your air filter ain't blocked - always try the basics first.

Think you should get at least 110mph out of them
Yep my mums 90bhp tdi does about 110mph i remember when the car wasnt
driven for a few weeks or so the car reacted as it had no power at all
so we disconnected the maf and cleaned it and replaced the paper
filter with a new one, once this was done and everthing was refitted we
disconnected the battery for 15 mins, and put it back on and the car
felt and sounded like a completely different car, and the turbo just
kept of whistling.

As said above try the basics first before asuming its anything big.

Sat

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hiya guys....and thanx for all of you'r mail.. and no i havnt managed to break down just yet althoug i did take the battery connection off and let the ECU reset its self but unfortunately it has'nt made any changes as i took it on the M1 today and WOW..... it sloooowed down on a slight hill and let a bloody YARIS over take me!!! gr8 lol lol....

so not much of a change their plus the thing is still smoking more than me!!... it probably sounds like Europarts have had my pants down regarding the MAF sensor so i'll check on the air filter 1st but it appears ok...so would u replace it with a K&N??

im kind of stuck here into spending money on something that should be simple enough to fix.... so ill have to start with the air filter then another sensor?? i just dont get the lack of power and its really [:mad:].....

thanx again guys i do appreaciate all the help

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Got your e-mail, sorry I've not replied but my suggestions would be...

1, The new MAF is faulty

2, Your MAP sensor is faulty (manifold absolute pressure) mounted on the top of the intercooler (i think, not sure on your car)

3, You have a temp sensor faulty could be either Water or Fuel or Inlet (note, the inlet temp sensor might be a duel sensor paired up with the MAP, it is on the PD's)

By the sounds of it, your over fuelling which is giving the black smoke and my guess is that you have a temp sensor out.

Also it may not be the sensor(s) at all, you have been 'monkying' around and may have knocked off or forgotten to re-connect one.

Good luck.

PS have you had it read for faults / had the measuring blocks looked at for the engine ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Morning m8y... now then i think you may have a point their some where but its how i go about it now.

I did have the car hooked up to the computer and the engineer drove the car urbanly and said everything was fine but keep an eye on the fuel consumption as the temp reading may be faulty so it could be burning too much fuel..... i.e. the car still thinks the engines cold-->i think??

So im expectin the worst now am i??... also very recently and im not sure why but the car dosn't warm up very well with the heater..i noticed that the car has a small leak but nothing bad and not obvious as iv'e looked around....dont think its anything immediate as the vag would of picked it up but its strange how the heater only gets luke warm on numer 3 even after 2hours driving..

Sorry if this confuses you more m8y but i just want my car to run to its potential and i really am gettin pissed with all the smoke...its kinda embarrasing but gr8 to keep racer boys at bay as they chew on my dirty smoke fumes lol lol....they see side skirts and wanna race ya

·
Registered
990 Posts
The EGR (exhaust gas re-circulation) valve on the turbo may be clogged up. I know of a 90bhp mk4 which had a similar problem to yours. The maf was replaced twice, but the problem was still there, with no faults were showing on the diagnostic tool. I suggested they remove the turbo and check it.

It was sent off to turbo dynamics and they were told that the valve was completely covered in gunk.

Don't fit a K&N filter, they're a waste of time, and the oil is likely to destroy the maf after a while.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts