Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just had my care serviced at VW doing an intermedary service or I presume yearly service using normal oil not long life.

After a day the oil is black? is that right? TBH I'm unsure as I've never bothered to check before after services.

Thanks

Si

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
As above, it's normal.

Diesel engines are so sooty inside it's unreal.

The other side to that is, they probably changed the oil whilst it was cold too (cause the car's been parked up for a while) so it also has less chance to drain out fully.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, the colour isn't something you can do much about - it's just the way diesels are!

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
I change the oil in my Bora every 5k miles. I also do an engine flush every change. (My personal preference, others may differ) The oil that comes out is completely black. If it was a petrol car I'd be worried....it's not,it's a diesel and expected!

·
Registered
119 Posts
yup perfectly normal that 30 seconds later its black, My girlfriends 05 plate micra 1.2 is amazing i change the oil every 9k and the oil comes out as clean as the oil i put in, never known a engine like it, if your worried dip your finger in then rub it on some paper it should be a dark golden colour if changed recent and not jet black, but on the stick it will look black

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Phew,

Again never really checked with the bora but with the car before a 200sx oil was always clean and clear but as you say diesel. lol

·
Registered
569 Posts
Thats how diesel oils work, they absorb the sooty build ups.

Have had several customers (at a Merc dealers) threaten to take court action with oil samples as the van has just had an oil change yet its black a few days later!

They just won't beleive that a dealership may actually have a clue about what they are doing! To quick to place judgement, the local indies don't always know best!

MArk.

·
Like A Bawwsss
25,247 Posts
Thats how diesel oils work, they absorb the sooty build ups.

Have had several customers (at a Merc dealers) threaten to take court action with oil samples as the van has just had an oil change yet its black a few days later!

They just won't beleive that a dealership may actually have a clue about what they are doing! To quick to place judgement, the local indies don't always know best!

MArk.
See where they coming from. but ive seen a nice fair share of dodgy dealer work....and they meant to be manufacturer trained specific mechanics.......hmmmmm....

·
Registered
649 Posts
what i done when i recently serviced my diesel was to buy a cheap oil and a better oil . drained old oil out , put right amount of cheap oil in then ran engine for 5 mins to mix the rest of the old oil left inside the engine then drain that out , put new oil in then this helps to clean it a little bit . at least shows clean on the dipstick

1 - 14 of 14 Posts