Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had this grey auto mirror from the V6 i dismantled and wanted to retro fit it to my car and today was the day to start modding AGAIN! lol

After a few coats of plastic primer and then a good dusting with matt black and to be honest i was quit impresed with the end result

Here is a pic of it still in bits

Posted Image

once it is back together i will do some more

Andy

·
Registered
621 Posts
Thats just what I'm after doing, well sort of, I just want a black rear view mirror.

Looks good, was it easy to take apart???

What black did you use?? and how does the black colour compare to the OEM black trim ( I currently have wood and will be spraying it black at sometime) in the car?? from the pics it looks a close match??

Thanks

Carl

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got the colour from my local motor factors and it is caled

Auto chem

MATT BLACK

phone number from the company 0161 7645981

i used some soap and water to clean the case and then a few light coats of white primer and then a good dose of black and put them on top of the fire for 20 min and presto DONE![;)]

i have taken both mirror´s apart with a butter knife[:D] was the best tool i found for that, just sliped it in the gap and prised it apart EASY LOL

Andy

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have not got grey interior trim but always disliked the grey mirror when you looked throught the front window all you could see was this grey thing lol

Tetrosyl LTD

Bury, Lancashire

BL9 6RE

·
Registered
553 Posts
quick question.

What have you done with the stork, is that still grey or have you painted that too.

if you have paint that have got problems with painting the ball joint and keeping the paint on as it rolls about

Rb

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used the original one that had the rain sensor and modded it with great dificulty[:S] that has taken me all day[:mad:]

this one has a sort of cover on it and i painted that and just left the ball grey and you realy have to have a good look to see that it is grey

i will find the pic and post it

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BEWARE!! my one is not fitted yet and i am stil not sure how it will hold LOL

I had to cut off the gold clip that held the original stub on and then drill the other stub and use a big self tap screw to fix the clip onand the shorten the plastic suronds and when in place that holds the stub quite firm in placeLOL

Not sure if that makes sense but it was a sort of trial and erroe so if it went wrong i would be at the dealer in the morning ordering a new mirror LOL

·
Registered
553 Posts
thanks for the warning

I just twisted the stark round and it poped off no hassle. its connected the same

by the looks of things but I dont have the two pices of casing, like in your shots

The whole thing has stayed together and looks pretty solid. may be the non dimmer

is slightly differentm are the casing made of metal or plastic.

Rb

oh yeah its now sprayed back and drying in the kitchen. found some old paint in the shed

its a can of 3 year old plasticote satin black, not quite as mat as yours probably not as good either but im cheap and it was sitting there

" I can just see Cookiemonster sat at the PC with a can of sella shaking his haed and tutting his disaproval" [:p]

·
Registered
553 Posts
checky sod.................... I brought the beers that night.[;)]

yep tuesday off, gave the car the good news as well.

Wash, auto glym pre wax paint sealer stuff and then maquires tech wax. finished off with some tyre black and treated the black plastic trim.

Rb

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think it is only the dimming ones that have this case around them and they are made of quite hard plastic.

The non dimming one is made of a cast alloy and if you can get that casing off the you best give me a call[:p]

·
Registered
553 Posts
oopps, broken.

I have broken the bit at the back of the mirror where the ball sits in, basicly I had trouble pressing

the ball into the socket, and its gone snap.[:$]

trying the super glue thing now but it looks like its a new mirror job.

Rb

1 - 20 of 29 Posts