Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have looked over the car of the month competition, and realise that the same people cant win every month, but it appears all the cars are the usual, bbs - anni kitted golfs with a remap and oem touches (very sweeping, but kinda true)....now I love this as much as the next vw sheep on this site, if i had the money and time my golf would be sporting the same look, so im not out to judge this.

But the competition simply appears to be an award to who has recently splashed the most cash on their car, and do they really need the tat from gadget shop if they can afford ?1500 BBS wheels! Maybe the competition is intended to award those people and if so, then rightfully the winners are getting the attention they deserve, although it seems to exclude the other people who have not got the money or time to spend on there car, or simply arent into it all that much..

All im saying is it would be better to get everyone on the site involved by possibly creating a variation on the car of month competition each month....e.g most original mod, best photography, best D.IY mod etc etc...giving everyone a chance at the glory.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
It was run that way last year and changed in respose to user feedback. I presume your scathing title was aimed to get you attention, in which case it worked congratulations. However I don't think it's a fair reflection on the time and effort all of the winners have put into their cars.

On a more serious note I will be asking for feedback and suggestions on how to run the competition soon, as interest seems to be waning again.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Well. Don't hold back lol. I sorta agree. Il never be able to afford more than one decent mod every couple of months so no one will really notice a massive change in my car over a month but I'm not expecting to win any awards for it either. I think the awards should go to the best up and coming golfs and i think thats the way its going. If you wanna win a COTM award then go get a loan lol.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
i think its great how it is. makes you proud if you win and gives you something to try for. there is no need for every tom,dick and harry to get an award.just like a feature in a vw mag you aint gona get in with a standard car with the odd nice touch to it.plus the reason its all the same sort of cars is cus thats whats in at the time the golf looks best like that.do your car to them standards bit a diff few touches and you will be there too.id be pissed if the awards go back to how they were.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
I think the prize is a gesture...Bear in mind that there are more than 15000 members of the forum - with no membership fee. So what is gonna be offered every month ? 4 x BBS CHs ? Hardly - come on, be realistic. I think that people join the forum as a community and the very fact that fellow members have voted them COTM is a good thing[Y]

I must admit though, as a mk5 owner, that you are kinda ignored unless you have a GTi. I have posted in members rides and ( not that I'm bitter and twisted [:p] ) am lucky to get 2 comments. OK - so my car isn't highly modified but its not standard either. Owners of standard GTis and R32s get more comments / feedback which to my mind is bizarre.

Hey Ho.....

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the scathing title was a bit tongue in cheek and if the decision was changed last year due to popular dsemand then obviously that is how it is best run. I was aslo only joking about the prizes..they arent that terrible.

It wasnt a ploy to get my car noticed for COTM, as i have neither the money, time or inclination to attempt to get it to the standard that would demand an award. Im just saying that a person could put a lot of effort into an alternative mod or something similar and get overlooked because a BBS'd Anni is more attractive in general.

I hope the moderators and the way the site is run is not suddenly beyond question??? Maybe take topic titles a little less serious and chill'ax man

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
In retort to the last paragraph - I doubt it. The site is constantly changing and taking advice from its members. I must admit that reading the topic title, I would only take it that you are unhappy and not that you are tongue-in-cheek

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
I think the topic title needs a smiley for it to be taken a little less seriously [;)]

As far I can see the competition isn't run as you describe. Sure the cars that win each month are sometimes heavily modded and do represent the current style across the VW scene, but thats not to say others aren't in with a chance. It's totally open to member voting and is as fair we can make it. You will notice each month we have a seperate thread which encourages a theme and is intended to give everyone, and not just the 'big boys' a shot at displaying their car - this was intended to steer each months s election and provide a bit of friendly inspiration. As noted by Cat, we did use categories last year and got roasted for it. People complained about it being too 'samey' and some months it would actually mean some members not being eligible (Bora's only etc.)

Of course this site isn't run beyond question - your having your say and we're responding [Y] As Cat states we'll be asking for feedback on how next years competition could be structured.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
il get my sister to write my topics then...she knows all about the smiley faces and how many kisses I should put!

and cheers for the advice...guy with pic whose name i forgot.....im just on my way to natwest to sort my overdraft out, I know what was missing from my life and that was a COTM award.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
I think the topic title needs a smiley for it to be taken a little less seriously [;)]

As noted by Cat, we did use categories last year and got roasted for it. People complained about it being too 'samey' and some months it would actually mean some members not being eligible (Bora's only etc.)
Not to mention I just plum ran out of ideas for categories - about 10 was the limit, then they start to overlap with a previous month. It sounded like a good idea at the time but didn't work out too well. And by the time you have finished sorting one months its time to start next months...quite a bit of work involved.?
I think it would be impossible to ignore the fact that any car thats had alot of work done to it recently and has been posted alot is more likely to win the award?

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Eye there was Mike, I remember the deliberations you had over categories and which month should have what etc. !

I think it would be impossible to ignore the fact that any car thats
had alot of work done to it recently and has been posted alot is more
likely to win the award?
I think you've hit the nail on the head here. Maybe if there were a way, as Golf Kid states, to promote more to a wider audience then the competition could be open to more entries?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Il think of 12 categories, and then suggest it when the poll on and Q and A session on COTM is held [:)][:D][:O][;)][:S][:-*] lub ya xxxxxxxx

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
I remember talking about this in another recent thread on this subject. i.e having more categories and was informed (by Cat) I think that it had been tried and that there was simply not enough interest.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Shut up colin nobody is interested in your opinion old man [:p]

golf kid - I appreciate it is difficult but at your young age premature ejaculation is common dont worry about it too much it gets better over time and just take deeps breaths to calm yourself down [;)]

On the car of the month theme I have to admit the same old candidates do seem to come up it does feel a bit cliqee (sp) to me, I have myself without shame promoted my car but got bored.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
golf kid - I appreciate it is difficult but at your young age premature ejaculation is common dont worry about it too much it gets better over time and just take deeps breaths to calm yourself down [;)]
PMSL [:D]

·
Registered
742 Posts
PMSL [:D]
[:p] Like said before you can't please everyone but this year i think there has been a good mixture of cars but if you really want to win / be nominated for COTM pay me a ?5 and i'll nominate your car!

you can only do what the people want and this is what the people wanted and i think it works well to help get exposure get behind the forum and get on the stands at shows so you can get to know different people off the forum!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Golf kid - I appreciate it is difficult but at your young age premature ejaculation is common dont worry about it too much it gets better over time and just take deeps breaths to calm yourself down [;)]????

"get behind the forum and get on the stands at shows so you can get to know different people off the forum! "

Your both sick.....one of you turns a post about COTM into C*ck Operating To Much and the other wants me to go behind the stand and get to know you guys!

No thanks you sick freaks!

uummm.....but if you wana vote for my car, I could really do with cuflinks that I could keep in my wallet............maybe it would stop my off the cough remarks.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
sonnys car was nominated more than once and that was budget motor... diy sprayed valances... diy monitors in headrests...

even wheel diy refurbs... definetly a budget car and excelent howto's too...

also a long time back oxfords was voted in.. that was standard with just damn good howtos on howto keep a high mileage car looking great....

don't seem to remember ONLY bbs ANNI kitted cars getting voted for???

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.