Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
are you actually allowed to do that....i mean its a great big part of the back end.....cut-n-shut style.   I would be so wary.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Whats iffy is that somebody is going to repair that and sell it on.

Either way I think he's dreaming if he thinks he'll get ?3K for it.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Whats iffy is that somebody is going to repair that and sell it on.

Either way I think he's dreaming if he thinks he'll get ?3K for it.
If someone buys that and does a botch job and sells that on he could cause the new owner to have a accident in my eyes.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
If someone buys that and does a botch job and sells that on he could cause the new owner to have a accident in my eyes.
Done properly it won't just fall off!!

I think the new owner will need to have an accident first before the rear end potentially comes away.

·
Registered
658 Posts
That is ridiculous. I cant beleive people are even considering repairing something like that. I feel for anybody who bought that down the line if it was repaired.

Im sure that could never be cost effective to repair something like that could it?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Done properly it won't just fall off!!

I think the new owner will need to have an accident first before the rear end potentially comes away.
I get where your coming from, but what sort of people buy these cars to do a job properly??

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The thing that got me is if the rear shunt was that bad, surely it would have side effects on the chassis...just doing that and bolting the two together will surely have side effects on the whole balance of the car!?

The alloys have gone (got steels on it) so what else has gone?! No V5 would have steels on when it comes from the factory! So not only would the balance be out, but the tyre width to small for the car.

·
Registered
924 Posts
isn't it classified as a cut and shut??? and now it against the law to sell such vehicle,once it been welded back together

·
Registered
104 Posts
surely it would come under cat b or even cat a so wouldnt be allowed back on the road. Its suffered extensive structural damage. Someone should report it because it could end up bodged and sold on.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
That to me looks like it must be illegal !!!!!! Just think next time you accelerate off a roundabout and the front goes on way whille the back goes the other, lol

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
If welded properly it will actualy be stronger there than normal so if it was hit from the rear again it wouldnt crumple like the way VW designed it to

but to be honest that realy does worry me ALOT

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Unfortunately its legal to do this, so long as the parts arent stolen
etc, and no the car cannot be classifed as cat b or c or d, as no one
has claimed on the insurncae for it, these classification are only
given to cars that are disposed of by insurance Cos.

the damage isnt to bad to the car, and if a butcher hadnt taken the
shortcut to fix it it wouldnt have been a problem to fix it, IE new
boot floor, a good seession on the jig, and Special welding equipment
that doesnt weaken the metal, even using second hand parts like he has
done would have been OK so long as the parts were cut and removed along
the original factory welds, and Not mid panel such as the rear quarters.

If anyone has ever had any body repair, done especially at the rear,
you would be surprised to see what they do to your car IE removing the
floor boot floors and whole sides thats why you can get bits like this
from stealers,
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-GOLF-MK4-PASSENGER-SIDE-REPAIR-PANEL-INC-1-4-PANEL_W0QQitemZ4567947213QQcategoryZ9889QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

1 - 20 of 30 Posts