Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
firslty ordered a clay bar from alex & sp top man, it was my first try with a bar and i dont think i used it properly but was im pressed main concern is a bird left its mark and there is still a stain that wont come out left on rear panel iv tried everything and thougth the clay bar would do it, any suggestions, also is the claybar what i need to remove bugs etc from the bodywork u know all that crap that gets imbedded on  a long drive in summer

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
From the sounds of it, i don't think clay bar will help.

The problem is the bird poo has eaten into the paint itself, leaving a
ghost mark. U can try using wax to feed the paint,
and hope that this will remove the mark.

U could also try using a light polish to cut away the mark.

Both options are possible

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
The acid in the poo will have etched in to the paint work/top coat

If your lucking it will only really have eaten in to the top clear coat, & should be able to be "cut out" with the correct materials.

Take a look on the Meguiars site for suitable materials, they have a paint prescription you can fill in & it will give you their suggested materials to use.

·
Registered
11 Posts
While scratch-X hasn't worked on any scratches on my A3's hard audi paint, it has never failed me when it came to bird crap. Had a nasty etching on my bonnet and a few applications of scratch-X and some elbowgrease made it disappear.

·
Registered
423 Posts
What can you do to prevent bird poo from spoiling your paintwork? I live on a tree lined street & always get fresh poo off straight away (neighbours think i'm neurotic!) I'm getting my new car in December so my compulsive disorder will probably get worse! Any ideas on what I can use to prevent Bird Poo acid from spoiling my Christmas?

·
Registered
521 Posts
a plastic membrane...

seriously you won't stop it happening but only slow the process down, and the best way to do this is multiple layers of wax

all the diamond brites/sealant stuff that the dealers will sell you with the new car won't stop it either, even though they claim to. They still say that you have to wash the bird lime off ASAP, or your warrantly will be invalidated...

·
Registered
685 Posts
What can you do to prevent bird poo from spoiling your paintwork? I live on a tree lined street & always get fresh poo off straight away (neighbours think i'm neurotic!) I'm getting my new car in December so my compulsive disorder will probably get worse! Any ideas on what I can use to prevent Bird Poo acid from spoiling my Christmas?
Get a car cover mate! May be the best idea!

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
Hey all,

Ive heard you go on about claybar before, what actually is it, how does it work and what can it be used on?? [*-)]

·
Registered
521 Posts
Suggest that you do a search for Clay bar/Paint rubber as all the info is on the forum and can't be bothered to type it all out again...

·
Registered
118 Posts
hi,when i got my car the panels were all ruff like they were covered in overspray. i used claybar and the panels are now like glass .amazing

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
hi,when i got my car the panels were all ruff like they were covered in overspray. i used claybar and the panels are now like glass .amazing
Yeah.. claybars are superb for that deep down cleansing action if you really need to clean up. I used a new bar on the gf's stepmums new mgf last saturday. It was only about a year old, but it got the bonnet feeling like glass. I showed her dad, got him to do the fingertips across the surface test and he was amazed. It only lightly cleaned it too, but you could feel the difference on the surface.

·
Registered
518 Posts
how does it work? Is it a type of compound? will it leave my coat of paint that little bit thinner?
Claybar effectively works by 'grabbing' foreign particles (such as Overspray, Brake dust and various other types of minute pollution) and pulls them out of the clear coat layer on top of your paint.

If you run the back of your hand over the paintwork and it doesn't feel completely smooth (like glass), you will be able to physically feel the contaminants lodged in the clear coat layer.

Thus after barring, the paint will have a super smooth feel to it, as all the crud will be removed.

It will not leave the paint or clear coat layer any thinner at all.

You should note, that although clay does seem to work miracles, it will not remove any kind of damage to the clear coat layer - i.e scratches & swirls - thats a completely different kettle of fish.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
When I first read about clay bars, I believe it was a web page that showed some posh lady with her Range Rover cleaning her car in the countryside, and I thought it was a bit esoteric - how long can it last before it gets caked in crud? The truth is, they last ages because you can fold them over, and they are only really for removing the stuff you can feel but not see, as opposed to great chunks of crud. For ?11.99 for the Meg's Quik Clay kit, it's rather good value and I've bought another one to stock up. Works good for cleaning glass as well (especially the front, to keep the wipers wiping smoothly), makes it feel like, er, glass! Few things feel as nice as smooth, glass-like paintwork on a car. Can't even put my polishing cloths and pads on the bonnet without the slightest wind causing them to slide off [:D]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts