Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm no expert but apparently over time it will clog your injectors, oh and your car will smell like a chip shop [:D]

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
I think the problem is with it rotting the seals.

On the older 8v PD's and 110's, 90's etc It's safe as long as you go every 4th tank on normal derv so I believe.

I'd love to use this stuff and have even thought of having a go at making my own. Can't buy it where I live however some Tescos sell B95 which is 95% normal derv and 5% bio, but again not around here.

Quite amazing stuff if you use it pure, it is said to clean injectors and the engine internally very very well.

In 10-20 years I think it'll be routinely available.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yep, it rots the seals.  I design diesel engine installations for a living, and Bosch do not recommend using biodiesel at all in their fuel injection systems. Some manufacturers (Stanadyne) will allow 1 to 9% mixture to standard diesel but this has to meet a certain DIN rating so reused cooking oil is a no-no.   In other words - don't bother.

·
Registered
164 Posts
There is nothing wrong with Bio-Diesel. The stuff some garages are now selling is 95/5 ie 5% reconstituted oils and fats which is fine. Agricultural grade is not fine ie anything over 5%. In 5 years there will be no more diesel as Bio is for the environment pure and simple. I have been running it in my PD 150 for 3 months now - it improves MPG and it doesn't blow out black smoke either. It also burns with a pleasant smell so whoever thinks it smells like a chipshop must be using dodgy chip shops!

Do a google search on the FACTS behind the Bio Diesel. At 84.9p/litre its a snip....It used to be 80.9 but it too has crept up in line with all the other fuels.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tim, have you added anything to the fuel to ensure it keeps injectors from blocking or prevents seals from rotting etc? I'm entrigued, coz although VW say NOT to use it some members swear by it! BP even claim it's better for your engine & returns HIGHER performance results!!! I'm tempted but don't want long term pain in order to enjoy short term gain.. 85p a litre is a whole 10p per litre cheaper than the current stuff i use!

·
Registered
164 Posts
No I haven't added any thing to the Bio - I did a lot of research on the stuff on the web and there's no need. The reason VW are saying no is because they can't stand over it with warranty's just yet if it messes up the engine or any other engine part.  They better sort that out soon because standard diesel is going out in the next 5 years.  They use nothing but Bio in France and Spain and it is very quickly making its way through Europe.  Yes at 85p it is worth it.  I still use normal DERV every 4 fills but only because I'm ususally not near the garage that sells the Bio.....Good luck whatever you decide!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Bio Diesel.... whats the problem? WHO SAID THERE WAS A PROBLEM?????

Diesel from, crude oil is the biggest problem as its dirty, and therfore needs hundreds of additives to clean it up for use.

Bio diesel on the other hand is CLEAN, SELF LUBRICATING, giving you better life of engine components, and is MUCH BETTER FOR THE ENVIRONMENT WITH UPTO 20x less CO2 EMMISIONS!!!!!

My addvice is use bio diesel as its better than synthetic diesel, if your car breaks down its not cos of the biodiesel, anyway VW wont know any different!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I prefer the red diesel myself. Such a pretty colour and so much more economical due to the low cost - long may this continue.[:D]

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I'm thinking about making my own bio diesel at some point in 2006. Going to start out with a blender and make a small amount to see it goes.

Anyone here currently making it? Obviously would be nice to have some advice,

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I'm thinking about making my own bio diesel at some point in 2006. Going to start out with a blender and make a small amount to see it goes.

Anyone here currently making it? Obviously would be nice to have some advice, tips,

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Richy.. VW say NOT to use it & according to other members (above) it inflicts damage to the seals etc... Are you saying this is not true?

·
Registered
1 Posts
From the look of this forum not many people seem to know what biodiesel is!

1.NO, BIODIESEL IS NOT COOKING OIL OR WASTE VEGETALE OIL, WHICH WILL CLOG YOUR FILTERS AND INJECTORS!

2.YES BIODIESEL IS MADE FROM COOKING OILS/FATS/USED VEGETABLE OILS DOESNT MATTER WHICH BECAUSE THE CHEMICAL MAKE UP OF THE RAW INGERDIENT IS EXACTLY THE SAME!

3.THE RAW INGREDIENT (COOKING OIL) IS SPLIT, FORMING 2 CHEMICALS FROM THE COOKING OIL BIODIESEL (NICE AND THIN), AND GLYCERINE (DISCARDED TO MAKE SOAPS COS ITS ORRIBLE AND THICK)

4.BECAUSE THE BIODIESEL IS MADE IN SUCH A WAY IT, ie. NOT DISTILLED FROM SHITE 5 MILES UNDERGROUND, IT IS 99.9% PURE, UNLIKE CRUDE OIL DIESIESEL THEREFORE IS BETTER FOR YOUR ENGINE.

5. BECAUSE BIODIESEL IS MADE FROM OIL IT IS NATURALLY LUBRICATING THERFORE ENGINE WEAR IS MINIMISED.

6.BECAUSE BIODIESEL IS MADE FROM NATURAL RESCOURCES IT PRODUCES LOWER HARMFUL EMMISIONS (PERFECT FOR ANYONE WHO HAS JUST FAILED THERE EMMISIONS TESTS)!

ANYONE WHO SAYS BIODIESEL ROTS THE SEALS IS ABOUT 30 YEARS OUT OF DATE, ALL CAR MANUFACTURERS UPDATED THEIR SEALS 30 YEARS AGO TO COPE WITH EUROPEAN LEGASLATIVE PRESSURE TO BRING BIOSIESEL IN AS A MAINSTREAM FUEL.

DID SOMEONE SAY VW ONLY ALLOW BIODIESEL MADE FROM RAPESEED OIL?

WHAT A LOAD OF RUBBISH. THE CHEMICAL MAKE UP OF ALL OILS/FATS IS THE SAME. THEY ARE ALL TRI-GLYCERIDES, THERFORE THE PROCESS TO MAKE BIODIESEL IS THE SAME, AND THE BIODIESEL IS THE SAME.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Welcome to the forum Malcs, its great to have someone post here with such an in-depth knowledge on this subject.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, Welcome Malcs..

I would really love to use BioDiesel.. The BP stuff has a much higher cetane level than normal diesel (so performance will not be lagging!) & it is better for the environment. It's also cheaper!

But I'm worried about the little sticker on the inside of my filler flap which says in about 3 different languages NO BIODIESEL.

That's the only thing which concerns me.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
From the Health & Safety Executive website:

Biodiesel is a relatively new synthetic fuel made from vegetable oils, and its domestic production raises serious health and safety concerns.

The information below describes some of the hazards and contains advice from HSE that biodiesel should not be produced at home.

Biodiesel is produced commercially and can be bought from some petrol stations. However there are 'recipes' available on the internet for the domestic production of biodiesel. These usually involve mixing methanol with sodium hydroxide (also known as caustic soda or lye), and pouring the resulting mixture into vegetable oil.

Such home production raises serious health and safety concerns, as it involves hazardous chemicals and the risk of fire and explosion.

Making biodiesel is a potentially hazardous process that should only be carried out in controlled conditions by people with the proper training and experience.

At the very least a poorly made product could seriously damage a vehicle engine.

Hazardous chemicals

The individual chemicals needed for the process are hazardous.

Sodium hydroxide is extremely corrosive. It can cause burning to unprotected skin and is particularly damaging to the eyes. Stirring the liquid can often produce a fine mist of liquid droplets. If this mist is inhaled, severe irritation of the respiratory tract and breathlessness can occur. Accidental swallowing can cause major damage to the throat lining and digestive system.

Methanol is a toxic chemical. It can enter the body through breathing in the vapour, direct skin contact or by accidental swallowing. It can cause nausea, dizziness and visual disturbances that can result in blindness. Swallowing small quantities could pose a significant health threat to the central nervous system and could also affect other vital organs. It is a cumulative poison and repeated exposure to relatively low concentrations could cause harm in the longer term.

Risk of fire and explosion

There is a serious risk of fire and explosion because methanol is highly flammable and there are many potential sources of ignition in most homes such as:

• normal electrical equipment, for example kitchen appliances, plugs and switches;
  • open flames, for example gas burners; and
  • smoking materials.

It is also possible that a violent chemical reaction could occur by

• making a mistake with the recipe, for example getting the quantities wrong or adding the chemicals in the wrong order;
  • poor mixing; or
  • making too much at once.

Any of these could result in the mixture splashing or boiling over, causing serious burns.

HSE advises against home production

Because of these serious health and safety risks, HSE advises against the home manufacture of biodiesel using domestic or other unsuitable facilities and by people who are not trained in handling dangerous substances.

Further information

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Yeh right,

The HSE in cahoots with the inland renenue.

The real reason no doubt is that excise duty would be a little tricky to collect wouldn't it and given that so much money (70% ?) is made on fuel.

Granted it may be a little tricky but like so many things to do with maintaining your car, if your careful you should be ok.

Why is it that there are warnings against using this, I'd heard / read that it would rot the fuel system seals but it would appear that's rubbish ?

I'd love to use it and would if it were available where I live.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts