Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After learning about my badly worn wishbones today I figure the chances are my shocks are probably pretty worn too. And as I'm fitting some Eibach 30mm lowering springs with a neuspeed antiroll bar next week I figure it might be an idea to uprate the dampers at the same time to save having to do them at a later date....

I want to retain as much ride comfort as possible while improving handling and I've read a lot of the related posts so I decide I'll probably go for some Bilstein OE shocks front and rear - the questions are:

1) Will these match with the eibach springs or could there be problems?

2) Is anyone running with this combination? And if so what's the verdict?

·
Registered
809 Posts
If you've got standard shocks and Eibach springs on at the moment, all the Billy Originals will do is take out any oscialations that your worn original shocks can't cope with. They won't make the ride any harder as they aren't that much uprated over stock, they will just be a little more taut; and well worth their money.

Let us know how you get on though.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote: posted by BeezerDiesel on 09/03/2005 17:38:26

If you've got standard shocks and Eibach springs on at the moment, all the Billy Originals will do is take out any oscialations that your worn original shocks can't cope with. They won't make the ride any harder as they aren't that much uprated over stock, they will just be a little more taut; and well worth their money.

Let us know how you get on though.

This sounds exactly what I'm after - I haven't actaully fitted the springs yet but I suspect the dampers are close to the end of their useful life and I figure it would be better to get the billies in when I'm fitting the springs rather than fit the springs and discover in a few weeks that I need to do the dampers as well...

anyone know best place to pick up OE billies?? I know motorsport world do them at approx ?35 each.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Euro Car Parts are the 'UK' distributor/importer but I suppose that doesn't cover Eire. Don't know if they have a branch in N.Ire. You could try and find out who is the Irish official dealer and see if you can get them at a discount.

When I was looking to get a set recently Motorsport World seemed to be about the cheapest all in though, or you could try google searching or German ebay to see if you can get a set sent over, bound to be cheaper in mainland Europe!

Sorry I'm not much help really!

·
Registered
266 Posts
This too is what I am thinking of doing.

I have the Eibachs on my GT TDI and feel the shocks on the way out. I can not decide if I should get the OE Billies (10% uprated) or the Venmom Motorsport shocks which are made by GMax (30% uprated)............both shock kits come to about ?160 delivered.

I am very tempted by the OE Billies though!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if I should get the OE Billies (10% uprated) or the Venmom Motorsport shocks which are made by GMax (30% uprated)............both shock kits come to about ?160 delivered.

I am very tempted by the OE Billies though!

Personally I'd steer clear of Gmax - the old saying, you get what you pay for and the Gmax's are supposed to be in the same arena as the likes of koni red's and yellow's for performance.... but at that price I'd be very skeptical and suspect the ride will suffer accordingly.

I'm going for the Billies - the only problem is there's a 2-3 week delay on delivery for the VW sports suspension relacements [:(] - but if you have standard VW suspension then you could get them right now [:D]

·
Registered
266 Posts
Always was leaning towards the Billies and it would also be the sports suspension version too.

How much are you paying in total then?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote: posted by umrelt on 11/03/2005 11:00:41

Always was leaning towards the Billies and it would also be the sports suspension version too.

How much are you paying in total then?

Motorsport world quoted me ?44.10 each for fronts and ?39.62 each for the rears. ?167.44 all in - prices include VAT but I dunno about delivery (that's ?25.00 to ireland though).

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote: posted by umrelt on 11/03/2005 11:49:05

Thanks,

Did you try eurocarparts as they sell them too!

yea but they quoted ?113!!!! for each front shock - dunno what's happening here but the guy couldn't tell me anything other than what was on the computer screen in front of him - i reckon i'll go with motorsport world - just need to confirm nothing else needs doing first.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I expect the ECP guy was quoting you for Bilstein Sport shocks at that price!

You could always try the Sachs Gas shocks from GSF which should give similar performance to the Bilstein OEs. Same sort of price too.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
from GSF which should give similar performance to the Bilstein OEs. Same sort of price too.

stupid question coming - what's GSF?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Fitted Bilstein all round with the springs that come with their kit, very nice ride, bit bumpy, I think I am just noticing it more, and handles well. Trip to Scotland planned so the borders roads will be the ultimate test. the standard set up was a bit boing boing and made the GF feel sea sick! ARBs will be the next step after the 312mm fronts are fitted.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote: posted by Richard W on 15/03/2005 09:15:54

To find the different part nos for each model and whether they're OE or sport spec have a look here: http://katalog.bilstein.de/ then you can quote exact part number when ordering.

I ordered a set of Billie B4 gas shockers from Awesome yesterday - gonna fit them with -30mm eibach springs and neuspeed arb

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
shane how much did you pay for the Bilstein shocks from Awesome? I asked Ade & he said he could only do them as part of the Streetline kit or whatever you call it

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote: posted by Cat1.4 on 15/03/2005 11:43:20

shane how much did you pay for the Bilstein shocks from Awesome? I asked Ade & he said he could only do them as part of the Streetline kit or whatever you call it

160 + VAT. I just rang yesterday, told them what I was after (Bilstein OE Gas replacements) and they went off, made some calls and rang me back 10 minutes later to take my order. They're the Bilstein B4 gas (OE) shocks and they said I should have them in a day or 2.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote: posted by umrelt on 21/03/2005 08:06:07

any update?

According to DHL shocks, springs and arb will be delivered today. After that I just need to decide if I'll have a got at fitting myself or wait another week to have my mech fit them....

1 - 20 of 61 Posts