Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding to work for a month now and i've been riding my late grandfathers bike (pretty good, not a typical grandad bike)

I'm keen on riding to work and gonna start arranging some longer distances at the weekend with my mates

so i'm thinking about getting a decent road bike

however i like the idea of a bit of off roading too, maybe moving up to full mountian biking

what kind of bike should i look at for a lot of road riding but testing the water off-road?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
It's abit like buying a Formula 1 car and trying to follow tanks off-road . the two will never go together , I have ( and do alot on them) 1 road bike, 1 full sus and 1full rigid mountain bike, I used to be a pure mountain biker but fancied a crack at road and i now love it so much as it is a harder disipline to master and i am a hell of alot fitter than when i was riding just knoblies, You could look at getting a soft tail with a lockout fork and then just swap tyres around suit your needs I.e skinny slicks for road and fat knoblies for dirt( but there is alot of hastle involved in this and you dont get the best posture for road riding ). If you are serious about racking up the miles on the tarmac then definatley go for the road bike you won't regret it.

Jay

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i see what you're saying and for the most part i already inderstand that.

perhaps i should concentrate on just road and buy something more specific if i move off road, but i wanted to try it a little before i lay down extra cash on a second bike

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Are there any outdoor activity centres near to you ?? You might be able to hire a " decent " bike for a day and see how you go on, I still love off road very much but i spend more

time on the tarmac at the moment ( ~ 6000 miles/year) .

Jay

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i don't think there anything like that close, but i could be wrong

i think i will concentrate on road riding for now as thats my journey to work and the most accessible for free time riding.

so i'm looking for a decent road bike but i don't really want an all out racer

·
Registered
1,586 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I went the second hand route to "test the water"

I bought a mint Mongoose mountain bike for £150 or so.

That way I havent wasted too much money if I dont use it!!

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
good idea

as for my curent choices, i have been doing some reading and think i wnat a road sports bike as i'm not keen on a full racer

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm looking at the Carrera Subway 2, it has disc brakes, trigger shifters, road tires, normal handlebars and its compatible with full mud guards and rear rack

my only concern is that its only got 16 gears, and apparently they still have 3 clicks on the front shifter.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Three click's on the shifter make's no difference to the overall performance, you can adjust the cable so it only uses two of those 'clicks'. Only having 8 sprockets on the rear is not a problem but it does depend on the tooth count between each of them.. I use 11-23 ( 10 speed ) and there is only a 1 or 2 tooth difference between each sprocket.. But it depends on what terrain you ride on and the level you ride at that will have a bigger influance on the gearing choice.

Is it worth asking them to put a tripple Chainset on so you get more options when out

Jay

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
oh right ok, so maybe the subway 1 would be a better idea, just v-brakes but only 14 gears

my mate has one and reckons that 14 gears are plenty

i know that people say disc brakes are mostly not worth the money/weight but they do look damn cool!

so can the twin chainset be upgraded to a triple to go to 21/24 gears?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
The subway 2 is better than Subway 1 and the extra gears will give you more options whilst out but dont buy it for the Bling factor of disc brakes
You could upgrade the chainset to a tripple if you wanted to but unless you had a tripple shifter fitted you would need to replace this too.

Jay

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i believe they both have triple shifters so both could be potentially upgraded

i've been msging my mate and he said he can easily get up a seriously steep hill round here but also top gear is fast enough for the straights

i will have to have a further look at them down halfords

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
If your prepared to spend hard cash i would hope you could test ride them.. If not vote with your feet and get off to Decathlon.

Jay

1 - 20 of 21 Posts