Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi

i am currently running a stock 1.6 alternator and wanted to know which powerful version alternator can i upgrade to which will have the same fitting type. also will the r32 alternator fit the same as mine because when i have my sound system playing there is hugh voltage drops, the max voltage going to the amp is 11.85 volts when the sound system is running, i have already got a optium yellow top battery in the boot and stock battery upfront?

thanks

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Forget about the yellow top for now as it's almost certainly making matters worse....

HOW TO GET THE BEST FROM YOUR CAR'S CHARGING SYSTEM
hi chris thanks for the link just read all of it some very good information.

just wanted to know will any alternator from the mk4 model fit?

also do you know of any other car VAG model that might have the same fixing points that would be powerful?

thanks

·
Super Moderator
50,244 Posts
120 Amps for some 4 MOs,some Sharans and Annis,some Jettas and Passats had 140 Amps and their marine V6s had 180 Amps,all will bolt straight on but might need a longer drive belt.

Chris.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
120 Amps for some 4 MOs,some Sharans and Annis,some Jettas and Passats had 140 Amps and their marine V6s had 180 Amps,all will bolt straight on but might need a longer drive belt.

Chris.
thanks for the info chris

just wanted to know if a alternator from the a 2008 passat 2.0tdi would fit, the details of it are 180A vw ag valeo
14v 021903026L
?

thanks

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
yeah i read them posts, the reason why i said the 180amp is because i rang the place mentioned in a post by fullcracked grove auto's or something in london, and asked what alternator is best to put in a golf 1.6 and the only one he come out with was a 180amp alternator...

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah i read them posts, the reason why i said the 180amp is because i rang the place mentioned in a post by fullcracked grove auto's or something in london, and asked what alternator is best to put in a golf 1.6 and the only one he come out with was a 180amp alternator...

·
Super Moderator
50,244 Posts
Sounds like one of those places that only want to sell you the most expensive parts in that case[:(].As I already mentioned there's a VERY good engineering reason why small petrol engines never have very big alternators fitted to them.

Chris.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
probably is that then, because i go to him on the phone will it cause any problems like stalling or anything and he goes no will be perfectly fine, people on talkaudio have recommended them for alternators thats why i contacted them. so what would you say is the best alternator to put in? 140amp?

and also is it easy to change the alternators over yourself or is it a mechanics job?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
probably is that then, because i go to him on the phone will it cause any problems like stalling or anything and he goes no will be perfectly fine, people on talkaudio have recommended them for alternators thats why i contacted them. so what would you say is the best alternator to put in? 140amp?

and also is it easy to change the alternators over yourself or is it a mechanics job?

·
Super Moderator
50,244 Posts
I'm not guaranteeing it will make the engine stall,but there's a very real chance it will quite noticeably affect low speed driving.When I have my air con switched on I can feel how much more effort it needs to pull away than if it isn't switched on.

120 amps should be fine,but if you can get 140 or 150 then ever bettter.I saw the man at my local scrappie today that got me my 150 amp Laguna alternator and asked him to let me know if he gets one of these 180 ampers there's so much fuss about at the moment,,would be interesting to see what one will do.

Chris.

·
Super Moderator
50,244 Posts
where do You get the longer belt from
Halfords or any motor factors.The part number will have the length in mm and will be something like GDB1350,so get the next one up which will probably be 1360mm long.It MIGHT not need it so don't buy until you know it will.

Chris.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts