Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides the new turbo, injectors, manifold, intercooler & map, what else would be needed to run a bigger turbo successfully?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
on engine side

a good intake that wont collapes under high boost
3 inch MAF housing (optional but worth while if you have the car mapped to use it)
change all gaskets if they dont come with the kit
Fuel pump may be needed depending on what power you are going to put out and if the standard pump can haldle the request for that ammount of petrol
3" Down pipe, 100cel sports cat or decat
rods (optional)

then you will need to uprate the suspention brakes etc is a must

what turbo are you going to go for??

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
on engine side

3 inch MAF housing (optional but worth while if you have the car mapped to use it)
Fuel pump may be needed depending on what power you are going to put out and if the standard pump can haldle the request for that ammount of petrol
rods (optional)

By the time I get round to it (Next year) I should have the suspesion and brakes done. The manifold, fuel pump & de-cat will be down by the end of this year. To be honest, it feels like I need to upgrade the brakes already at Stage 1!! lol They seem to over heat in under 5 mins?! Not sure if I have dodgey brakes?? lol

I'm thinking of the Garret GT28RS turbo, it's a beast! I'm comfortable with the spending the money on the turbo etc, but how much will it cost to uprate the conrods etc? I'm guessing I would also need to uprate the clutch and/or gearbox as 350-400bhp can't be to healthy for stock transmisson!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
on engine side

rods (optional)

By the time I get round to it (Next year) I should have the suspesion and brakes done. The manifold, fuel pump & de-cat will be down by the end of this year. To be honest, it feels like I need to upgrade the brakes already at Stage 1!! lol They seem to over heat in under 5 mins?! Not sure if I have dodgey brakes?? lol

I'm thinking of the Garret GT28RS turbo, it's a beast! I'm comfortable with the spending the money on the turbo etc, but how much will it cost to uprate the conrods etc? I'm guessing I would also need to uprate the clutch and/or gearbox as 350-400bhp can't be to healthy for stock transmisson!
are you going for the eliminator or a proper gt28rs jobbie? i think the transmition should be ok for 350 or more. rods cost shed leads for labour which i would never bother doing myself. you looking at a big invoice for that turbo. it will be a better setup if you can try to fit a proper gt28rs rather than the eliminator you will get allot more power this way but allot more money! as you have a RHD car it sucks!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
on engine side

rods (optional)

are you going for the eliminator or a proper gt28rs jobbie? i think the transmition should be ok for 350 or more. rods cost shed leads for labour which i would never bother doing myself. you looking at a big invoice for that turbo. it will be a better setup if you can try to fit a proper gt28rs rather than the eliminator you will get allot more power this way but allot more money! as you have a RHD car it sucks!
What's the difference in power between the Eliminator and the proper GT28RS? Ideally I want to go around 300-350 bhp, as i can't see FWD being able to deliver man! Really, is the transmission that good? Cool ! lol

I heard stock interals are only good (Well, reliable) for 250-300bhp. Last thing I want is an unreliable car! Do you think reliability will be an issue??

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
300 - 350 should be ok as long as you have a good tyre and suspension setup. internals *should* be ok as there are loads of yanks with more power and standard internals for yrs. but who knows when a rod may snap or bend, its unpredictable [:(]

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Badger 5 have a tubular manifold in the works that looks absolutely amazing. Get that and a GT2871!!
if that mani works with a RHD and the turbo, and a custom downpipe dont get in the way then go for that! will be a great setup! not sure on the cost mind. you will need a custom remap.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Badger 5 have a tubular manifold in the works that looks absolutely amazing. Get that and a GT2871!!
if that mani works with a RHD and the turbo, and a custom downpipe dont get in the way then go for that! will be a great setup! not sure on the cost mind. you will need a custom remap.
Would Revo stage 3 map not be suitable then ? I wanna stick with Revo really.

What kind of power would that damn fine set up offer?

I'm think 300+bhp from FWD is going to be a bit of a death trap though! lol. I imagine its going to be like how my car is now in the wet!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

I'm think 300+bhp from FWD is going to be a bit of a death trap though! lol. I imagine its going to be like how my car is now in the wet!
get some goodyear F1 tyres! they will keep the power down. revo might be able to make a map for that setup if badger5 does release that mani. and also revo do/will soon have a map for the gt28 turbo. ill let you no once i finish mine, mid sept is the deadline i hope

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

get some goodyear F1 tyres! they will keep the power down. revo might be able to make a map for that setup if badger5 does release that mani. and also revo do/will soon have a map for the gt28 turbo. ill let you no once i finish mine, mid sept is the deadline i hope
Keep me posted on price, difficulties etc etc. I'm aiming for around this time next year.

All the best mate [:D]

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

Keep me posted on price, difficulties etc etc. I'm aiming for around this time next year.

will do! keep an eye on my thread and website [y]

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

will do! keep an eye on my thread and website [y]
This is no longer happening....

I'm getting a ZX6R now instead! Still keeping the golf though :)

·
Registered
680 Posts
RHD friendly... its in my seat ibiza currently with the turbo shown and so far is producing 485bhp

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
great setup! i seen it and know it! but how much would that set back the average joe?

and would it be availble to buy and fit yourself?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts