Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just had XP reinstalled as something got corrupted on sunday and the computer refused to reboot.
However, while i'm up and running now i am 'locked out' of my documents file. If i try and open it is says 'Access Denied'. Everything is in there as the space has been taken up on my hard drive but i just can't get in there!!

It's nothing to do with my log in, there are no admin passwords and i've tried changing the properties to see if it'll let me in but to no avail.
Does anyone know how i can get my files back?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Take it these files are in 'my documents' under your old username?

Go into user accounts and make sure your a computer administrator, not something else. Thats my first suggestion anyway! Otherwise, see if you can copy the files and paste them somewhere else, make a new folder or something and try opening them from there.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope done that and it won't let me copy or paste!

[:(]

Would it be anything to do with partitioning? If so, how can i check and change whats allowed here. It was just something i was reading on the microsoft.com website about 'access denied' when doing a search. NTFS partioning?

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Have you partitioned your drives? Did you have your drives partitioned when you re-installed XP?

If you have partitioned drives are ALL files on that drive denied?

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Which XP, Home or Pro??

In essence, what needs to happen is you need to "Take Ownership" of some files as an administrator, and then re-give said files/folders new permissions for your new user.

I know the Pro off the top of my head, I'll dig out some Home instructions if I can shortly (and nobody else beats me).

Technoscheiser: Just because your userid is the same as your old one, doesn't mean it's literally the same. The MS GUID you get at creation time is always different and based on all sorts of junk. COMPUTER_OLDINSTALL\user's GUID will not match COMPUTER_REINSTALLED\user's GUID.

C

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
OK, logon as Administrator preferably - if not him, as you and make sure you've got full ding-dang-doo administrative rights on your user.

Nip into Windows Explorer, and find the files you can't access.

Right click and hit Properties. Nip along to Security and click on that.

You shuold get a list of names/groups/etc. If you don't get names, bu tthings like 2-98712-71264-127378734-81237 - they're GUIDs (so users/groups mentioned above, in raw form!) that your computer no longer recognises. One of them will be "the old" you.

Click on the Advanced button. Then on the Ownership tab.

It will tell you the current owner - either name or unkonwn GUID thingy. Then underneath it, a list of people who can be the new owners. You'll generally find this is the user you are logged on as, and the group called Administrators.

Click on either one of those, tick the box at the bottom that says Replace Owner on Subcontainers and Objects, and click OK.

Assuming you are logged on with enough dingdangdoo, it'll go round and fix the ownerships. If the user/group you s elected as the new owner doesn't have much permission currently, it will assigned then Full Control - so that they can do anything.

Once this is done, you can go back and pee-pee around with the permissions til your heart's content, and still be able to read them.

As an aside - don't ever encrypt your data unless you can guarantee to get your userid back complete with GUID (normally this is a work-only kinda thing). Unlike this permissions issue, if you ever encrypt your files, and lose your userid, it's impossible (apparently) to get back into them.

Good luck - let me know how it goes!

C

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, logon as Administrator preferably - if not him, as you and make sure you've got full ding-dang-doo administrative rights on your user.

Nip into Windows Explorer, and find the files you can't access.

Right click and hit Properties. Nip along to Security and click on that.
I can get to here! There is no security tab on the folder properties?!? All there is is 'general' 'sharing' and 'customize'.
Worryingly, it also says the folder is empty although there is 17 gig taken up somewhere on the system. The folder that is 'missing' is full of mp3's videos and all my pics and documents.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Bugg*r arse and bollocks.

Sounds like you're in the simpler XP mode, which I detest, don't use, and can't remember how it looks. And my spare PC I could bung another copy onto is at a mate's.

Have a look at the Sharing options - there's a way I think in there so that you can either keep all your documents private, or share them with everyone else on the computer. See if you can find the latter and if that solves anything. I shall go mooch about MS.com and see if I can find what we need [:)]

C

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Sorry to jump on your balloon here CKB, though you could be VERY right as for some reason I'm always doing this on profiles on servers, I was under the impression that Rich could see all the files, but not access them. With the above, he wouldnt be able to see the folders, only the directory structure and nothing beyond that.

Also, does this only work on XP Serv 2? Cus it dont work on my PC thats for sure, and yes I'm an admin and I havent bothered with the serv pack 2. Or am I just being silly?

Anyway, I hope it works!

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Cute - it changed the a-word for my rear-end to bum.

OK, here's the Microsoft Article that you need to follow:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421/en-us

This will give you everything you need, including how to get the security tab, to regain access to your files. Probably a bit more detailed than mine above too.

Follow that - and you should be sorted!

C

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When ticking the box to allow the file to be opened across the network - 'An error occured while trying the share rich, access is denied' [:(]

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Also, does this only work on XP Serv 2? Cus it dont work on my PC thats for sure, and yes I'm an admin and I havent bothered with the serv pack 2. Or am I just being silly?
Jump away Graham, you've been well right before now. However, I'm hoping I've got you for a change [;)]

As for XP2 - no, what I suspect is the case is that you're not on a Domain or Active Directory. XP Pro defaults to "Simple File Sharing" which is a load of poo, and hides the Security tab. It works on all copies of XP (Home, Pro, SP-irrespective). The MS article above explains how to get round this.

XP home is a pain - requires safe mode and all sorts.

C

EDIT: fairly confident this is the issue btw, as I've done this to myself before Active Directory, it's the usual cause after a re-install anyway [:)]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
hehehe, sorry, couldnt resist!

Anyway, is it just the ONE folder rich? Can you see files and use them on any other directory in that drive?

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
When ticking the box to allow the file to be opened across the network - 'An error occured while trying the share rich, access is denied' [:(]
My bad - sorry mate.

See the URL I gave about 3 posts up - which I'll put here again actually as this clicky.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Easy son, people will talk. It's bad enough when we agree so often (you've taken Craig_C's mantle - must give him a kick and find out when he's coming back actually!), so you on your knees, well that'll create all SORTS of rumours.

Gotcha (for once tho) [;)]

C

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mate, if you were closer i'd come and kiss you! You just saved me a shedload of work (all my college work was on there! I know, BACKUP!!).

Graham, yeah it was 1 folder that had loads of sub-folders. It's now being burnt off [:D]

Thanks again guys [:)] [}]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Hey, you just came first! [:D]

I was still fiddling, I would have got there [:p]

Anyway, you havent officially come up with the result yet as we don't know if it's gonna work or not, because my small head says that it should happen on all folders on that partition, unless of course he made this himself, under a certain name with limited permissions or something.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts