Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys.

in the summer this year im getting a bigger turbo so need to get some big brakes before that. was looking at the porsche boxer calipers with some matching discs and pads front and rear. well that will be around ?1000 and cant find any used calipers and cariers.

would the leon cupraR brembos fit on my car with the cupraR carriers? i have some ace 132 wheels with ET 35 i think they are.

also what discs and pads do you lot recommend?

cheers for any info

gray

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Take a look at my pic under my reply and you will see they fit like a dream

all you will need is the 4pot calipers and cariers from a leon aling with the discs and pads

i got my ones from a scrappy called HILLS MOTORS for 400 quid compleat with hubs but you will not need the hubs

be warned the 323mm discs are hard to get elsewhere apart from seat and be ready with you flexy friend as it hurts LOL

2 discs set me back 212 quid[:O]

but i have found a company that do them drilled for 270

the pads i use are really cheep ones for about 30 quid and weare really quick but that means the discs last 10 times longer

P.S you will need 10mm spacers with ET35

Andy

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
I got the calipers and painted them ENZO RED and hade porsche stickers made and fitted them before i put the clear coat on

these are my old ones lol

looked like a CD behind 18"

Posted Image

And this is them now[H]

Posted Image

it really is worth the money

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Well you have quite a few choices in front of you...

Basic principles are that a rigid (monoblock) 4 pot caliper will ALWAYS be more efficient than a single or 2 pot slider with bigger disks.

1. LCR Brembo setup - uses 323mm disks - requires at least 5mm spacers and longer bolts to suit - considered great bang for buck and DO come up on ebay fairly regularly, there is a set on there at the moment - bolts straight on to GTi hubs, non GTi cars will require hub changes
  2. R32 setup - uses 334mm disks and 2 pot calipers - does not require spacers and bolts straight on to GTi hubs, non GTi cars will require hub changes. The Audi TT 3.2 V6 uses the same setup. I consider this to be EXCELLENT value for money as the parts can be sourced from breakers yards very cheaply (circa ?300) and I have had no problems in 2 years of useage with lots of track use.
  3. 312mm conversion kit - Uses Audi TT/S3, 4-motion or Anni caliper carriers and disks (calipers are thought to be identical to GTi items)
  4. Aftermarket package - Neuspeed Porsche Boxter set up - uses Boxter rear calipers and 312mm grooved disks - pricey at nearly ?800 from Awesome
  5. Aftermarket package - Tarox six pot setups, priced from ?1200 to over ?2000 supplied by Awesome
  6. Aftermarket package - ECS Stage 3/4/5 - Utilising 996TT or Big reds (GT3 6 pots) with disk sizes from 312mm up to 356mm! Prices again vary from ?1200 roughly to over ?2000 for the Stage 5 setup - check out jbrperformance.co.uk for details.

BEWARE when going big caliper, your master cylinder may not be up to the job of big calipers as it just may not be able to push the amount of fluid for the extra piston diameter. The result is reduced pedal feel (sponginess).

There is a bit of information to start you off from my experiences, check out audi-sport.net in the A3(8L) section for loads more info and discussion.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
What clear coat did you use to withstand the heat of braking?? Need to paint mine soon, and would like to put a little emblem on - but was worried about it coming off and looking tacky! However if you can clear-coat calipers with something that would solve the problem [:D]

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wicked info guys thanks. i deffo want these brembo brakes i think. will i need braded brake hoses or use my standard ones or the LCR ones? will my servo be ok with these 4 pots? andy hows your brake pedal feel?

not 100% sure on my ET but the wheel cant have 10mm spacers on as they will stick out. can only get away with 5mm

gray

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
I used a normal 2 pac clear coat and it is fine

All i will say is when doing any work on the brakes like taking wheels off the paint can chip very easy so i will be having them powdercoated this year some time

about the brakes becoming a little spongy

Tha is the case and with the 4 pot calipers it is not as bad as the 6pot ones and you still have a fairly solid brake pedal an i a running them off a 1.6 master cylinder[H] could be the same one throught the range up to the V6

Andy

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
wicked info guys thanks. i deffo want these brembo brakes i think. will i need braded brake hoses or use my standard ones or the LCR ones? will my servo be ok with these 4 pots? andy hows your brake pedal feel?

not 100% sure on my ET but the wheel cant have 10mm spacers on as they will stick out. can only get away with 5mm

gray
It could be because of the way my spokes curve in at the top and hence the 10mm spacer

the brake pedal is fine mate but i think if you or i went six pot then it could be a problem

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
do they still feel responcive? so you painted them using what? and then laquered them just using paint laquer?

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Well you have quite a few choices in front of you...

Basic principles are that a rigid (monoblock) 4 pot caliper will ALWAYS be more efficient than a single or 2 pot slider with bigger disks.

1. LCR Brembo setup - uses 323mm disks - requires at least 5mm spacers and longer bolts to suit - considered great bang for buck and DO come up on ebay fairly regularly, there is a set on there at the moment - bolts straight on to GTi hubs, non GTi cars will require hub changes
  2. R32 setup - uses 334mm disks and 2 pot calipers - does not require spacers and bolts straight on to GTi hubs, non GTi cars will require hub changes. The Audi TT 3.2 V6 uses the same setup. I consider this to be EXCELLENT value for money as the parts can be sourced from breakers yards very cheaply (circa ?300) and I have had no problems in 2 years of useage with lots of track use.
  3. 312mm conversion kit - Uses Audi TT/S3, 4-motion or Anni caliper carriers and disks (calipers are thought to be identical to GTi items)
  4. Aftermarket package - Neuspeed Porsche Boxter set up - uses Boxter rear calipers and 312mm grooved disks - pricey at nearly ?800 from Awesome
  5. Aftermarket package - Tarox six pot setups, priced from ?1200 to over ?2000 supplied by Awesome
  6. Aftermarket package - ECS Stage 3/4/5 - Utilising 996TT or Big reds (GT3 6 pots) with disk sizes from 312mm up to 356mm! Prices again vary from ?1200 roughly to over ?2000 for the Stage 5 setup - check out jbrperformance.co.uk for details.

BEWARE when going big caliper, your master cylinder may not be up to the job of big calipers as it just may not be able to push the amount of fluid for the extra piston diameter. The result is reduced pedal feel (sponginess).

There is a bit of information to start you off from my experiences, check out audi-sport.net in the A3(8L) section for loads more info and discussion.
What about using an LCR master cylinder ??

would that be an option??

good bit of info there mate[Y]

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I used a normal 2 pac clear coat and it is fine

All i will say is when doing any work on the brakes like taking wheels off the paint can chip very easy so i will be having them powdercoated this year some time

about the brakes becoming a little spongy

Tha is the case and with the 4 pot calipers it is not as bad as the 6pot ones and you still have a fairly solid brake pedal an i a running them off a 1.6 master cylinder[H] could be the same one throught the range up to the V6

Andy
Yeah I'm not sure of MC bore on the range but I suspect the R32 has a bigger (well, more pressure) cylinder as both on my GTi and S3 I noticed a loss of feel despite spending nights and days bleeding the systems (could write a book on that subject as well lol).

The rough rule of thumb is to measure the piston diameter of your standard caliper then to NOT exceed the total piston diameter of the new calipers. Well, dont exceed by too much because the amount you exceed the original piston diameter will be relative to loss of pedal feel.

Also, be careful of where you get the powder coating done, if you get them lacquered and baked, some places bake at low temperatures which means you could easily melt the lacquer again.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
would i acieve anything from braded hoses or will i use the LCR ones or my standard?

also if i paint them then laquer them will this be ok or will it all melt?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
What about using an LCR master cylinder ??

would that be an option??

good bit of info there mate[Y]
Was thinking along the same lines myself but I would put money on that the total piston diameter of the LCR is pretty much the same as a GTi. The advantage of the LCR setup is that it's 4pot, simple as - Even pad pressure on both sides of the disk, probably 30% better clamping pressure than a single pot slider.

I'd put money on it (the more i think about it) that the R32 master cylinder is a bigger (in reality it would probably be a smaller bore but with longer travel) unit, the disks are much thicker and bigger than anything else in the A3/Mk4 Golf platform range so would definitely need more clamping pressure to retain a decent pedal feel.

I would like to get my hands on an R32 or 3.2 V6TT MC and compare it side by side with a GTi item and take some measurements...

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
sounds like a plan

i will be doing the powder coating and painting LOL

dont trust anyone[H]

when i firts got them on i sat there for about 3 days thinking why is my peadl shite lol

about 5 gallon of fluid later i sort of got used to it[:^)]

but you only notice how good they are when you spend a day driving a diffrent car and then get back in it and nearly put it up a hedge[:O]

i used NORMAL 2pk paint from SPIES HECKER, ENZO RED and then a normal clear coat on top and it has lasted well over a year and still no problems.

apart from a little IN GROUND brake dust

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
would i acieve anything from braded hoses or will i use the LCR ones or my standard?

The R32 and LCR hoses are the same, well, the same length, if you buy the Brembo GT hoses (which are LCR ones) you just take off one of the ends to fit to an R32 - my memory fails me now, i was sure they were the same but not so sure now.

Well bear in mind that DOT4 fluid can boil anywhere between 190 and 380 degrees celcius (thats the range of wet and dry boiling points and standard and racing fluids) so the paint needs to be able to withstand at least those temperatures.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
i used NORMAL 2pk paint from SPIES HECKER, ENZO RED and then a normal clear coat on top and it has lasted well over a year and still no problems.

apart from a little IN GROUND brake dust
Ah yeah, more specifically, what melts the lacquer is the minute flakes of red hot pad material. I experienced 2 things, the first being brake dust (minute particles of red/white hot pad material) melting the lacquer and becoming 'part' of the finish and on the track the overall temps reached such a level as to crack the lacquer on the wheels!

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so ill keep my standard brake lines yes?

everyone used hamerite paint to paint there calipers is that ok? i was then going to laquer over them with a 2 pac like andy...

would the standard LCR discs and pads stop me good?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts

Standard rubber hoses will be fine in the short term and for fast road use, heat and age 'may' eventually cause the rubber hoses to bulge (therefore reducing pressure) but i would suggest this would only happen under extreme usage (track or mentalist green lane use [:)] )

If you're on a budget, go for rubber and upgrade to stainless braid at a later date.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
so ill keep my standard brake lines yes?

everyone used hamerite paint to paint there calipers is that ok? i was then going to laquer over them with a 2 pac like andy...

would the standard LCR discs and pads stop me good?
Your standard rubber hoses from the inner arch to the caliper WONT fit on the LCR or R32 setup.

OEM R32 or LCR hoses will be cheaper than braided ones.

Whatever paint you use, just make sure they can cope with the temperatures mentioned above.

Standard LCR disks and pads will have you head butting the screen compared to your standard items, they will also NOT fade like your standard ones.

Just to re-iterate, an R32 setup will do the same thing but they are heavier and you may find the steering feels a little heavier due to the heavier unsprung weight. You will probably find an R32 setup is easier to get hold of and a mite cheaper.

1 - 20 of 177 Posts