Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What setups are you running front and rear? Please post pics.

I am considering a big brake kit, and at the minute my heart is saying ECS Version 2 up front and Version 1 at the back, i love the red porsche claipers and drilled/slotted discs. But my head is saying R32 front and back with a possible disc upgrade

. The main factor is the price, the full ECS kit is about ?500 more than i was planning to fork out, considering that by the summer i will still only be at 140 - 150bhp so i don't need mamouth stopping power.

Any help much appreciated[Y]

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Have a little look in the "brakes" section.

You should find a few threads about the different set-ups some of the members have.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have looked and searched for specifics, but most, if not all the topics:

1. the pics have been removed

2. discuss front brakes only

3. threads are dated 2004 - 2005

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I have your ideal setup and can vouch for its effectiveness even after extreme abuse, but I sense that the R32 kit will be more than up to the job for your requirements and wallet. [:)] With the ECS kit you have to budget for replacement discs and these are a lot more than R32 ones too.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers dude, are you running the ECS rears? I can afford the fronts ok, but the rears push it a bit over the top and i think it would look silly having big fronts and tiny rears. Did you get them from ECS or through a source in the UK?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Cheers dude, are you running the ECS rears? I can afford the fronts ok, but the rears push it a bit over the top and i think it would look silly having big fronts and tiny rears. Did you get them from ECS or through a source in the UK?
I have the 2v2's and the Stage 2R vented 308mm rears. I got them from Richard @ www.jbrperformance.co.uk back in 2004.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WOW! you must only have to breathe on the pedal to be able to stop[:O] Do you have any pics of the wheel area?

If i go for Stage 2 up front and Stage 1 in the rear the price is good. Can the stage 1 be fitted to the rear? there is a rear specific stage 1 but id rather have the larger calipers back there.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
LOL yep I have RichardW's and Tabs' teethmarks in my dashboard to prove it[:D]

Recently put some pictures in this thread

There are two rear conversions, for solid 232mm x 9mm discs like yours, and for the vented 256mm x 22mm discs like mine. It is possible to upgrade your rear brakes to the vented - again its a question of "is it necessary?" Both are 308mm diameter which is a lot bigger than your current front discs! Both make use of the current caliper and mount it further away from the hub. Details on www.ecstuning.com - for the vented discs look at the 337 Edition or R32 sections.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
His is actually a 100pd thats listed because there isn't a 100pd highline tag for the side, so it will be the 280s, not sure if its an issue with the ECS brakes though as they come with a complete fitting kit for all cars I assume (or did I read somewhere that the hub on the lower engines were an all in one unit with the carriers?)

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
does look that way.... but with yours being a run out model, perhaps it has the 288mm brakes, best way to check is to look how the caliper carrier joins to the hub.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Just had a look through your golddigger thread, top job you have done there, mate[Y]

Love the black grill, thinking of this myself. Where did you get it from and how much was it?

John

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, i had the whel off and i think they are 280mm[:(], i couldn't get a flat measurement, but with the curve of the hub it was 290, so i guess that an allowance of 10mm would be closer than 2mm. I have part numbers if anyone can verify the size

1J0698151G

1J0615301E

I think top is Disc and the bottom pad but not sure

EDITED for picci-tors, i guess as the cliper looks to be part of the hub, new hubs will be required.

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Thats a shame [:(]

If you do decide to change the lot, I have a set of calipers sat in the garage, but no carriers.

It seems a strange idea tto build them into the hub[:S]

1 - 20 of 56 Posts