Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After teaching a Pug 205GTI with silly bodykit a lesson he wouldn't forget for a while I then had an Astra, possibly GTE 2.0 16v as it was debadged join in.

Now surprisingly he kept right with me up to silly speeds, I then backed off when it got right up there, he then carried on past me.

What kind of power are these running? Anybody know the weight?

Quite impressive really for an older car though I'm sure it would have been a little different lower down the gears and rev range.

·
Registered
798 Posts
156bhp (150 with Cat apparently), but they are quite light, they are a bit faster than a standard 1.8t, but not as quick as a Clio 172

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it was modded and complete with silly exhaust!

It would have been interesting to have a go with it from standing though.

·
Expression Intentionally Blank
1,132 Posts
I remember being followed by one of these GTE thingies when I had my 4mo and I had a hard time shaking him...

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Quote: posted by GaryM on 15/05/2004 22:20:17

Yes it was modded and complete with silly exhaust!

It would have been interesting to have a go with it from standing though.

Can you get traction in 1st and 2nd now Gary? [:p]

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote: posted by Carlos on 16/05/2004 03:49:02

Can you get traction in 1st and 2nd now Gary? [:p]

[:D]

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Quote: posted by GaryM on 15/05/2004 21:48:11

After teaching a Pug 205GTI with silly bodykit a lesson he wouldn't forget for a while I then had an Astra, possibly GTE 2.0 16v as it was debadged join in.

Now surprisingly he kept right with me up to silly speeds, I then backed off when it got right up there, he then carried on past me.

What kind of power are these running? Anybody know the weight?

Quite impressive really for an older car though I'm sure it would have been a little different lower down the gears and rev range.

It's quick and fast. 150bhp as the other poster said, but cars pre 1991 are likely to be without cat as standard. It's also light, the only toys you have are ABS brakes and PAS. No airbags, side airbags, climatronic or even AC for that matter LOL.

Improvements popular were K&N panel air filters or 57i induction kits, improved exhausts (could give 5 - 8 bhp), also transplant of a Calibra turbo engine - 200+ bhp. Can see 135 - 140 mph no problem.

Very serious car in it's day, quite a serious car now if it's been looked after.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote: posted by enigma1992 on 16/05/2004 07:29:29

Can see 135 - 140 mph no problem.

Very serious car in it's day, quite a serious car now if it's been looked after.

Well I can vouch for that!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
The max power people got their hands on a lot and started to kill them IMHO. They started to look like this:

http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD_web/servlet/media?id=78875671

That said, if the car still looks like this

http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD_web/servlet/media?id=74261968

i'd probably give the guy the thumbs up [^]

Quote: posted by GaryM on 16/05/2004 07:31:47

Well I can vouch for that!

Ah I wouldn't worry too much. Old meets new and all that.

(edited as autotrader don't like me stealing their pics!)

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well it didnt look like the standard white on in you link!

No worries at all, it just surprised me by how well it stuck with me and left me wondering of its rough power output.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I used to have a red H reg GTE red top engine and what a car it would leave my Golf 0-60 they are 150bhp standard absolutely brilliant car I sold it as insurance was a nightmare at 18 if I could have found a mint one when i was 21 I would have definately considered buying one. Class wise you can't really compare it to the Golf, best car Vauxahall ever made.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know that one would be Matt on the basis that my car IS quicker than a stock R32 and this Astra GTE stayed with my from 90ish up to around 135ish.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Must have been modded though.

Revo'd "mines faster than yours" talk getting a bit repetitive and tiresome.

You still don't have 4WD, a quick steering rack, uprated brakes, etc, etc.

Faster in a straight line on a dry track, but faster on real life roads? I should think not.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Im pretty certain it was modded as it surprised the hell out of me!

Matt, lets not get into this again.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts