Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm after better braking on my TDI 4motion but don't want to spend a fortune.

What is the best route to go for? Better pads & disks?

Or bigger OEM brakes? Maybe from MK5 new R32 or A3 3.2 quattro. Any idea how much this conversion would cost?

Any help much appreciated.
ACP

·
Registered
380 Posts
ACP

I fitted the 312mm discs a la Golf GTI, I bought the carriers from Shaq, who is a member of the forum and the discs for GSF. Total cost around ?200. The calipers are the same. At present I am using original pads, waiting for Mintex to provide some better pads.

The bigger discs give improved braking and should be good for up to 200 bhp as they are used on the GTI.

regards

Andrew

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ACP

I fitted the 312mm discs a la Golf GTI, I bought the carriers from Shaq, who is a member of the forum and the discs for GSF. Total cost around ?200. The calipers are the same. At present I am using original pads, waiting for Mintex to provide some better pads.

The bigger discs give improved braking and should be good for up to 200 bhp as they are used on the GTI.

regards

Andrew
Thanks for the reply.

Did you find there was much difference between the 312mm discs and the standard 288mm?

·
Registered
380 Posts
ACP

regards

Andrew
Thanks for the reply.

Did you find there was much difference between the 312mm discs and the standard 288mm?
There is not a startling difference, although its difficult to remember exactly how the braking was before now. There is a more reassuring feel when braking from high speed and the pedal certainly feels more solid, also doesn't grab quite as much at low speeds. I would recommend it as an easy upgrade. Let me know how you get on.

regards

Andrew

·
Registered
380 Posts
Milkfloat,

Yes, my car is the Mk5 GT TDI. Started out with 288mm discs, but decided I wanted to improve the braking before I had a remap.

regards

Andrew

·
Registered
21 Posts
Whoever says that the standard brakes on the TDI 4Motion are OK is really not trying. They are just about adequate for a hearse-drivers outing but emergency stops are all spongy pedal and not much happening on the retardation front. A bit of fast road driving finds their limit very quickly and I have heard several new GTI owners saying very much the same sort of thing. Don't forget the extra weight of the TDI 4Motion - GTI brakes are unlikely to produce much improvement. Ordinarily, if you want to upgrade the brakes on a budget, you would fit EBC Redstuff pads at the front and Greenstuff at the rear. I may be wrong but I don't think there are any EBC pads available yet for the Mk.5. The first thing you must do is replace the brake fluid with Ate Racing Blue fluid and replace the hoses with braided ones - this gives a firmer pedal and the synthetic fluid will not boil under sustained hard use

I have had my TDI 4M for around 5 months and 8500 miles now and I can only describe the brakes as rubbish. Even without the planned Revo upgrade, this car is too quick and too heavy for the 288mm discs and 2-pot calipers which it shares with most of the Golf range. With the Revo upgrade, this will be like an R32 with a diesel engine so I am planning to fit the Ate big brake upgrade which has been advertised by Euro Car Parts since last November but the parts have not landed yet. I am planning to fit braided hoses to the rear as well and EBC Redstuff pads but the pads are not available yet

Philip I. Newbold

De-badged, metallic black, 5-door GT TDI 4Motion with climate, cruise, 6-CD, MF wheel, flappy mirrors, badgeless grille, GTI cills and valence, Caractere hatch blend and 19" BBS CH alloys with Toyo T1-R tyres

Coming soon - Revo / Milltek / Ate upgrades - see you at Mallory Park and Croft?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
De-badged, metallic black, 5-door GT TDI 4Motion with climate, cruise, 6-CD, MF wheel, flappy mirrors, badgeless grille, GTI cills and valence, Caractere hatch blend and 19" BBS CH alloys with Toyo T1-R tyres
Sounds nice mate, any pics?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sorry mate, apart from the fact that I have not worked out how to get pictures into these messages, you will have to wait for the May 2006 issue of VW Driver magazine which, if all the bits are available in time, will feature the car and all the upgrades. Car should be at Mallory Park on 25 March and at Croft on 29 April for the Autometrix Track Days

Phil Newbold (Darlington)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry mate, apart from the fact that I have not worked out how to get pictures into these messages, you will have to wait for the May 2006 issue of VW Driver magazine which, if all the bits are available in time, will feature the car and all the upgrades. Car should be at Mallory Park on 25 March and at Croft on 29 April for the Autometrix Track Days

Phil Newbold (Darlington)
Try this thread for info on posting pics:-

http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/480406/ShowPost.aspx

I might be going to Croft mate so will look out for you there.

What have you got planned for the supension etc?

·
Registered
21 Posts
OK here goes - my first attempt at posting a picture of my car

[URL=http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f399/PINPICS/Imgp0840.jpg/]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f399/PINPICS/Imgp0840.jpg/[/URL][img]

Not planning any suspension mods at present - may change my mind later

Phil Newbold

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Foxy has done the research on the compatible VAG parts and it is feasible to change up to the Audi 345mm discs from the A3 3.2 in a similar way to the 312mm referred to - all these variants of car share the same hub and I think caliper (which I imagine is 1-pot not 2-pot as referred to above).

For those with deeper pockets, ECS Stage 5 and AP Racing 5200 worthy of investigation.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Many thanks to ACP for getting my badgeless mug-shot in the frame

I am beginning to think that the logical brake upgrade for my TDI 4M would be to raid the VAG parts bin for all the bits from the new R32 and stick some EBC Redstuff pads in, if they are available. Can anyone think of a good reason for not doing this as ECP have failed, so far, to come up with the Ate big brake kit they have been advertising since last October? I've got the 19" wheels so clearance is not a problem. Do you think anyone at VW would tell me if the bits are interchangable? I would prefer to upgrade the brakes on all four wheels

Good news is that the Revo / Milltek upgrades are booked for 17 March but I am beginning to panic about the brakes - it is only 3 weeks to the Track Day at Mallory Park

Phil Newbold

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I'm certain the parts will be interchangeable but you are going to get hammered on parts prices as you will need to renew everything - if you go for the Audi 345mm discs you can keep the calipers on different carriers and it remains affordable.

If you are going to have to buy all those bits just to end up with 2-pot R32 calipers, you are better off getting the ECS Stage 5 with Cayenne 6-pots as they would do the job properly and look trick behind your 19's.

·
Registered
15 Posts
hi

i have always thought the brakes on my gttdi are way below standard (for my liking anyway), so i know vwspares are offering the 345mm front disks from the a3 3.2 for ?51.30 each, where can i get the carriers from? and how much do they usually cost?

some places are also offering ebc greenstuff pads now for the mk5 golf will they be ok or do i really need the redstuff?

i know neuspeed and autotech sell braided brake lines in the U.S can i purchase these in this country seen as though we have had the mk5 a lot longer?

one last question, i have 18" bbs ch wheels will the disks fit behind these?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
You could ask Shaq (by PM) for a price for the carriers although due to carriage costs you are probably best off sourcing from your dealer at RRP.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>

I wouldn?t use Greenstuff again and think Redstuff are less suitable for road use. Better off using Pagid Fast Road (blue) pads or Mintex and putting up with brake dust <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:stockticker>IMO</st1:stockticker>.

<o:p> </o:p>

The 345 should fit behind the 18? CH no problem ? they clear the Audi 18? S-line/RS6 style and CH?s tend to offer very good clearance. Spacers to be avoided.<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Just by having bigger discs and better pads will not necessarily give u better performance.

BMW for instance keep saying this as bigger discs gives it better cooling properties and preventing fade/warp

However it still gets shown by various magazines that after a few "hard runs" the brakes on M series BMs just can't hack it as they still use a single/dual piston sliding caliper design which just doesn't do the job on a big heavy car.

Solution? You need a multi piston caliper set up really (but it all depends on how you drive as most brakes should suffice for the average driver)

If you intend to up the power and give your car a bit of hard time then you should think about a proper brake setup - like AP Racing 4/6 pot conversions.

Don't skimp on brakes - simple.

But saying that...I would not go near the kits from Tar.Ox and there 8/10/12 piston calipers. Just my opinion.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts