Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I?m the proud owner of my 4th Golf GTi, this time a 2000 W mk4 GTi 1.8t, the previous golf?s I?ve had I?ve been successful in dramatically improving the sloppy mk3 handling with some simple suspension upgrades. But Although the Mk4 is much better as standard is there any cheapish upgrades that will significantly improve the poise and rigidity of the car without compromising ride comfort?

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Morning mate, you could try a decent set of springs for your car, you can get them for less that 150 pounds, and they don't make the ride much harsher. If you put some 18's on your car with low profile tires you will probably feel a big difference in ride comfort though...

Aiden

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
i personally woudlnt leave the standard shock on.. go for good value (low budget, but good brand) koni.. fixed damping and springs.. should be under..?250

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I would say that a rear anti roll bar upgrase offers the best for low'ish cash.
I second that.Biggest improvement than any other suspension mod i fitted to my car..

·
Registered
322 Posts
Been reaing up on this and have found that using Audi S3 strut braces top and bottom on the front end give a good difference and at ?20 for the lower and about ?60+ for the top one a cheap and effective mod!!

Do a search and theres a few topics on it!!

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Been reaing up on this and have found that using Audi S3 strut braces top and bottom on the front end give a good difference and at ?20 for the lower and about ?60+ for the top one a cheap and effective mod!!

The S3 strut braces do make the steering feel more taut when, but the biggest problem the mkiv has is body roll and this is
greatly reduced when the Rear Arb is fitted.If i was to do it all again id do as follows.

Front & rear arbs
Shocks/Springs or Coilovers
S3 Braces

·
Registered
359 Posts
Another vote for an adjustable rear anti roll bar which is a fantastic upgrade for ?130.  Understeer is gone, the front end is much grippier in the wet, and ride comfort is unaffected (well actually it's more comfortable because of reduced body roll).

·
Super Moderator
3,497 Posts
My experience of springs and suspension are greatly improved handling but a much harsher ride. In hindsight I think anti roll bars would be a better choice for my old bones!

Edit: Having said that the lower stance of springs totally transforms the look of the car that I almost think the harsh ride is worth it. Not much help am I?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Green V5....

Is there a difference with an upgraded rear ARB & standard front ARB?

Ta

Lee
That's what I've got. Standard front ARB and Whiteline adjustable rear ARB on medium soft setting. The improvement is remarkable.

Henry

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
My experience of springs and suspension are greatly improved handling but a much harsher ride. In hindsight I think anti roll bars would be a better choice for my old bones!

Edit: Having said that the lower stance of springs totally transforms the look of the car that I almost think the harsh ride is worth it. Not much help am I?
Every car ive had in the past, ive lowered it and the handling had improved greatly,Ride was a bit harsher but car
would handle a dream.Thought it would be the same with the golf so bought a set of coilovers and dropped the car and the
handling was just as bad.Raised the car a bit and handling was improved.

Fitted the Arbs and wow what a difference it made.Turn the wheel progressively and car turns with minimum roll,turn in quicklyand car just sticks to the road and hugs the corners, back end level and in touch.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts

The S3 strut braces do make the steering feel more taut when, but the biggest problem the mkiv has is body roll and this is
greatly reduced when the Rear Arb is fitted.If i was to do it all again id do as follows.

Front & rear arbs
Shocks/Springs or Coilovers
S3 Braces
Forgot to add about the issue with lowereing the car by more than 40mm and the driveshafts fouling the standard arb.
by fitting an aftermarket arb set first(with a bigger loop on the fron arb) you illiminate this issue straight away, so when
you do drop the car you have no issues..

·
Registered
2,263 Posts

Every car ive had in the past, ive lowered it and the handling had improved greatly,Ride was a bit harsher but car
would handle a dream.Thought it would be the same with the golf so bought a set of coilovers and dropped the car and the
handling was just as bad.Raised the car a bit and handling was improved.

Fitted the Arbs and wow what a difference it made.Turn the wheel progressively and car turns with minimum roll,turn in quicklyand car just sticks to the road and hugs the corners, back end level and in touch.
I've got Koni FSD's and Eibach pro kit springs on mine which I thought was a good compromise between compfort and economy (car rides far better over bumps,etc, than with stock VW suspension, with less roll & wallow), but I've obviously got used to it now as I'm feeling body roll again!!!

I'm still to fit a set of ARB's (probably rear ARB only, as this makes most of the difference so I hear), so I'm still impressed to hear that even after fitting uprated springs and dampers, people still find a good improvement through uprated arbs.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Dave I guarantee you will feel a bit difference when the Arb is fitted.The car will feel like a 'go cart' when you give it some on the twisties.
Private track of course [;)]

·
Registered
9 Posts
my exoerience is cheap upgades are cheap for a reason. usually a bit choppy or harsh. I would recomend the ARB upgade for a start. not sure putting the rear only on s too smart an idea. prob best doing both front and rear. Tis a bitch of a job swappping the front, wouldn't do it again!!

I can recomend spax coil overs, mine cost ?500, good value and a good ride quality, not huch harder than my mates S3.

running H&R ARB front and rear, doesn't move at all, stays flat no matter what.

wheels and tyres are also a needed upgrade [:D]

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Dave I guarantee you will feel a bit difference when the Arb is fitted.The car will feel like a 'go cart' when you give it some on the twisties.
Private track of course [;)]
Cheers Mo - looks like I know what I'll be buying next for the car then!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Iv just replaced the shockers and springs on my v reg golf gti turbo with eibach springs (new off ebay ?109) and bilstein b4 shockers (?142 for all four from euro car parts) lowered car by around an inch,ride quality seems much better! Car has done 113000 miles so original suspension well worn,alot less roll in corners aswell,good quality kit for around ?250

1 - 18 of 18 Posts