Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all this is my first post hope some 1 can help[:)]

Looking for best value for money lowering springs, and is it worth going any lower than 35mm?

Only had the golf for 3months and loving every minute of it. Had a type R before, cant wait for the remap to match the power!! thx all

·
Registered
125 Posts
awesome sell the koni springs which are -30 or -35 for about 70 quid. ive got a set havent fitted them though.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
If you are just going for springs, go for the best ones you can afford, most of the cost is in the labour for fitting so another ?20 or so to start with is almost negligible.

Konis do great dampers, I hated their springs on my 18T, just too harsh, sat too high, just felt crude.

I swapped them after only a 1000 miles for some H and R springs, IMO the best springs you can get for the mk4 period. They were ?90 from Motorsport wheels UK i n wednesbury, who are ( or at least were 18 monhts ago) the concessionaires for H and R.

They do a -35mil and a -50 mil version, I went for -35s which I think gives plenty of movement still available on normal roads. I would not go to -50 in stock dampers, as the dampers are soft and non adjustable, there will be little damping available for te reduced movement of the shock on compression, and you will get a nasty ride and poor roadholding.

I can thouroughly recommend the H and R jobs for the 18T, although I have them fitted with Koni dampers of course.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
^ as above really, i`ve got a set of 40mm H&R springs on mine and the handling is just awsome, esp around roundabouts [:p]

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Hi there

I set mine up with a set of H&R?s 35mm lower about 4 years ago and it is a so much better car to drive and from the comfort point ov view it
does not feel any harder than the factory springs but so much better to handle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i bet it is!! ive got a set of 17 rs4 on do u think they will they rub on full lock, and where did u get them Cheeers

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
H&R with Bilsteins here. Coilovers.

If their springs are "only" around the ?100 mark though, does that mean I've got ?600 worth of dampers [:|] Seems disproportionate [:S]

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/vw%20golfmk4/suspension.html

Hi Mate

I have sent you a link to what we can do for you.

We have a few to go at there.

I was lead to believe and so have many others that Eibachs was the ones to go for.

We have a few there to choose from though.

I would say that if you are looking at replacing the springs , keep an eye out for the shockers.

Between 40 and 60k they must be considered to far gone to just pit lowering springs on.

I have seen a few with not much more that 40k on that have got leaks.

So would be worth just checking them before you just settle for springs

Sarah

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/vw%20golfmk4/suspension.html

Hi Mate

I have sent you a link to what we can do for you.

We have a few to go at there.

I was lead to believe and so have many others that Eibachs was the ones to go for.

We have a few there to choose from though.

I would say that if you are looking at replacing the springs , keep an eye out for the shockers.

Between 40 and 60k they must be considered to far gone to just pit lowering springs on.

I have seen a few with not much more that 40k on that have got leaks.

So would be worth just checking them before you just settle for springs

Sarah
I agree that the dampers may be past their best but if you dont go daft with the spring rates and how low you go, it should not be too bad.

But sorry, I have had eibachs on a mk4 too and they are just so harsh, its unreal.

H and Rs are the way to go, especially with standard shocks.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
i just fit a set of koni sport from awesome. lowered 30-35 , adjustable damping at the front

ride is only bad when hitting pot holes and sleeping police men.... other than that.. handling is awesome... can fly around corners...

and all for a decent price.. koni, they are good !

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Well there you have it.

I would say that cars are different as the drivers and it could possibly come down to choice.

Just keep an eye on the shockers.

For that I would have to reccomend the FSD`s as these are proving to be good.

Sarah

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Have had Koni adjustables for ages.  Very happy with them.  Recently went for Eibach springs and they seem to work very well with the Konis.  Surprised more people haven't mentioned Eibach so far because they were a popular choice on here not so long ago.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Have had Koni adjustables for ages. Very happy with them. Recently went for Eibach springs and they seem to work very well with the Konis. Surprised more people haven't mentioned Eibach so far because they were a popular choice on here not so long ago.

This is what I said.

Sarah

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
^ as above really, i`ve got a set of 40mm H&R springs on mine and the handling is just awsome, esp around roundabouts [:p]
CD123,

Do you get any problems with rubbing driveshafts with the 40m H&R springs, I am thinking of getting some with some Koni Sports shocks.

Any handy pics you can post so we can see how it sits?

Cheers

Guy

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Hi Mate

If you go too low you can get problems with it rubbing the driveshaft.

So it would be best not to go too far.

The problem is it is very hard to get something that gives smooth ride with sports handling.

But I think at the moment the Koni FSDdampers have just about reached this.

They are fantastic.

We have sold lots of these and the reports that are coming back are just all good.

Sarah

1 - 17 of 17 Posts