Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in a funny situation! My car is now on 99,000 and I want to continue modding it and keeping it looking nice. However, I drive anything from 1000-3000 miles a month. I need a diesel which is going to be cheap to run, very reliable (don't care about speed) looks ok and under about ?1500. I've come up with the following, please add to the list if you can think of any others. Most of these cars already have high mileage, but I wil simply run it into the ground if I got one. No Rover's please!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
an audi tdi of some description or maybe a bmw deisel these cars can go on forever my old E30 320i had 174k on the clock when i got rid of it and it was mechnical superb no noises nothing and started every day and it was an F reg. It was a 6 clynder beast just ate up mile after mile of motorway.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
How about this?

It's more than ?1500 but with only 80k and it's a TDi....

1998 VOLKSWAGEN Polo CL TDi Turbo

Diesel, S reg. 80000 miles, CL, PAS, EW, EM, FSH, just serviced, 12 months MoT, 6 months tax, Sony flip front stereo, 50+ MPG, immaculate throughout. ?1,995.

Alternatively...

1997 VOLKSWAGEN PASSAT 1.9 Sport TDI 4dr Diesel Saloon,

Diesel, 115,000 miles, . Green. ?1,875 . ono.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Richard excellent find, never thought of a polo to be honest. Seens loads of passats around. Maybe worth keeping an eye out for polos! Cheers! This is why I posted this, to get some ideas, as my head will only let me go for a certain set of cars!

·
Registered
850 Posts
go for a pug 306 TD, i've had one for an year and a half and not a single thing went wrong!!

the only downside will be on a cold start you might wake few people up[:D]

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Quote: posted by Richard W on 31/03/2005 16:52:11

It's the booted version but for an S reg with only 80k you could do much worse..... cough-ROVER-cough....

.... and thats my cue to step in [:D]

I've just picked up a mint 1996 Rover 620DSI (TD intercooled) for ?850, can't recommend it enough for the money. I'm on half at a tank at the moment with 300 miles on the clock! Not bad for a 9 year old car. Comfy on long journeys and big enough to take four passengers with no fuss.

To be honest I tried the VAG range of diesels (sub ?1K) and wasn't impressed, they were big, heavy and felt too cumbersome compared to other cars of the same age in the class.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Had a rover before. 2 Infact. 420 GSi N Reg ended it's life at 82,000 miles and that had the all wonderful K series engine in it. They rust, the interior is horrible, loads of nooks and crannies that you cannot get clean, water coming in through the window seals, etc etc. Spent a fortune on bits for it aswell as I couldnt afford another car back then, then I upgraded to a MKIV 2.0GTI, never looked back.

The other Rover I had was a 216, was ok, but again, had loads of things go wrong on it.

Don't get me wrong, the 420 with the fake leather seats etc was a nice ride and had loads of extra's for a car that didnt cost much money, including cruise control (which also didnt work!!). That's the reason I would never touch a rover again! Never been in a 620, but they must be a bit more reliable as when I was in Cardiff I saw a lot of them as Taxi's.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Quote: posted by Richard W on 31/03/2005 16:36:37

How about this?

It's more than ?1500 but with only 80k and it's a TDi....

1998 VOLKSWAGEN Polo CL TDi Turbo

Diesel, S reg. 80000 miles, CL, PAS, EW, EM, FSH, just serviced, 12 months MoT, 6 months tax, Sony flip front stereo, 50+ MPG, immaculate throughout. ?1,995.

I had one of these for 2 weeks and i have to say it was one of the worst car's i've driven. It was noisy, uncomfortable and not amazingly frugal either.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
The 620 is an excelent car it is basically a honda accord, I even swapped bits of one onto my 2 year old accord type r! they were well ahead of there time and the reason they are so cheap is 1 the badge and 2 the market was samped with company cars versions of them

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Quote: posted by W36 EJO on 31/03/2005 18:25:13

Had a rover before. 2 Infact. 420 GSi N Reg ended it's life at 82,000 miles and that had the all wonderful K series engine in it. They rust, the interior is horrible, loads of nooks and crannies that you cannot get clean, water coming in through the window seals, etc etc. Spent a fortune on bits for it aswell as I couldnt afford another car back then, then I upgraded to a MKIV 2.0GTI, never looked back.

The other Rover I had was a 216, was ok, but again, had loads of things go wrong on it.

Don't get me wrong, the 420 with the fake leather seats etc was a nice ride and had loads of extra's for a car that didnt cost much money, including cruise control (which also didnt work!!). That's the reason I would never touch a rover again! Never been in a 620, but they must be a bit more reliable as when I was in Cardiff I saw a lot of them as Taxi's.

Eye the 400 series are a bit ropey to say the least.

Serioulsy go take a look at a few 620 diesels, they were built and aimed at the executive market and as Andy states they're basically a Honda. Find a decent one with low'ish miles on and you'll be hard pushed to beat it.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Quote: posted by Tabs on 02/04/2005 16:51:54

Quote: posted by W36 EJO on 31/03/2005 18:25:13

Eye the 400 series are a bit ropey to say the least.

Serioulsy go take a look at a few 620 diesels, they were built and aimed at the executive market and as Andy states they're basically a Honda. Find a decent one with low'ish miles on and you'll be hard pushed to beat it.

The 600 series were seen as competetor to the BMW 3 series and were often called the "poor man's BM" They are ok but the petrol ones I borrowed always had short 2nd gear and tall 3rd gear leading to some interesting revving between the 2. [B)]

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Tabs mate, had ours just over 110 this morn on way home, u know how they pull when they hit their power band [:D] well in 5th these seems to happen about 95/100 ish, dunno wot their spose to do top end but still felt like she had more to go [8D]

Another alt that ive been looking at recently, was the Volvo S40 TD, 1.9 90 bhp I believe, but I quite like em, must be better/safer than the 440 TD I was prev thinking about, dont seem to make much ??? either, but ive never driven or been in one, anyone know much about them?!?

btw, u should deffo chip ur 620 mate! [;)]

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I have a Passat TDI Sport on a 1998 R plate with 80 odd thou on the clock.

It is ace. I had to change bushes and arms when I got it, but it just does not miss a beat. It is chipped to 132bhp and 242 ft/lbs torque and still does 40 odd mpg. Big comfy and loads of space. Cannot recommend enough. has the same dash as the Golf too [8D]

I might be selling mine soon but would want a bot more than 2 grand for it!

·
Registered
874 Posts
For the money I'd say get a Pug.

You'll be able to get a newer one than you would if you go for something like an A4/Passat or even a Polo.

In this price range you want something as new as possible so that there is less likelihood of problems. Plus the rate diesels have been advancing for the last 7-8years, a car that is a couple of years newer will likely have a vastly superior engine. Towards the end of the nineties Pug diesel engines were at least as good as the VAG ones.

As an aside, my mate just bought an L-reg 405 1.6 to drive to work instead of his CTR. It's got electric windows and sunroof, remote stereo and locking, only 72k and no obvious rust. It only cost him ?250! Bargain if you ask me!

·
Registered
479 Posts
why not just keep piling the miles on your GTI. TBH, now its over 100k miles, it's value isn't going to tumble that much further if it goes up to 150k...

It's a tool - use it! Let's face it, a gently driven 1.8T produces very respectable MPG figures on the M'Way.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts