Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Best place to get tyres?

Mk4 Golf 
Tags
mk4 golf
23K views 102 replies 76 participants last post by  Cossie boy 
#1 ·
Gonna kill two birds with one stone here!

I need to get two new tyres for my newly aquired 18" rims. Have been to www.mytyres.net and found a set of Avon ZZ1's 235/40/18 for £120.

Anyone got any other tyre suppliers they can recomend? other possible makes of tyre that are maybe better??

And seeing as this thread will probably be littered with useful info I'll make it sticky too!

#5 ·
Recently ordered a pair of F1 GSD3's from 'mytires'.

Cost me £12 a side to have them fitted so in the end it worked out a fair bit more expensive.

The guy who fitted them ( a backstreet outfit, not yer kwicfit ) quoted me £65 fitted when I want the others.

So won't use mytires again

#7 ·
I have used www.tyres-sold-online.co.uk in the past, not the best service, but cheap enuff I reckon. Also Gary at TopGear in Burnley can get Yoko's ultra cheap, he did me 195/50/15 A539s for £29 each fitted about a year ago :) www.topgear.co.uk

m03vc400 I only live 5 miles down't road from you mate, welcome to the forum!

regards, Pat

#8 ·
You need to look in the yellow pages and go to your nearest tyre warehouse, which supplies all the major firms in your area.

They will supply you tyres at cost price and only charge for fitting - which is where they make their money, as you'll be waiting in a long queue !

I've never had a problem with Falkens FK451's, good performance all round esp in dry, not bad in wet either.

£95 for 225/40/18 fitted.

Goodyears and the like are the same price or thereabouts, but I much prefer the Falkens.

Bridgestone and Toyos rule as well. Stay away from Yokos, extremely bad wet weather performance regardless of type. Avons are just plain crap - aweful reviews.

#9 ·
Mark Avon ZZ1s £120.00 To much u can get Avon ZZ3s at £95.00 all in up here at Tyrespot can recommend them all the way may be a little bit soft

Was told to stay clear off Yokos and Falkens as they are a soft rubber compound and ware quickly and would be false economy I would have went for Goodyear's but a bit of my price range when buying my wheels i opted for Avon as they where the next one on the list

If u decide on Avon's goto Halfords that's if u don't mind waiting a week for them you will get them for about £85.00

http://www.avontyres.com/passenger.asp?id=222

http://www.tyrespot.co.uk/branches/gosforth.htm

#11 ·
quote:

Originally posted by GTI TAB

Gonna kill two birds with one stone here!

I need to get two new tyres for my newly aquired 18" rims. Have been to www.mytyres.net and found a set of Avon ZZ1's 235/40/18 for £120.
Tabs,

Just wondered why have you gone for 235/40, as opposed to 225/40's

With 235 section tyres, shouldn't the correct size be 235/35? Just a thought mate- Or are you secretly hatching a plan to get your golf upto 155mph? [;)]

#12 ·
quote:

Tabs,

Just wondered why have you gone for 235/40, as opposed to 225/40's

With 235 section tyres, shouldn't the correct size be 235/35? Just a thought mate- Or are you secretly hatching a plan to get your golf upto 155mph?
Mmm.. well this is the dilema I have tbh. Two of the RC's are fitted with 235/40's and the other two are fitted with 225/40's..

Now I presume that the 235/40 is the correct size for the 8Jx18 rims... is this right? (just before I go and buy four new tyres!)

#13 ·
Ok just worked out the correct tyre is 225/40's!

Having both sets of tyres on makes it strange to look at tbh - the 235's look more substantial, whereas the 225's look a bit on the lean side... You guys with the anni rims have half an inch less than me so the 225's probably suit them more.

Worked out anyway that 235's will give about a +1% difference in speedo reading whereas the 225's will only give +.85% difference....

lol looks like the 155mph is just within my grasp ehh! [:p]

#14 ·
You can fit skinny tyres to a fatter rim.

Its better actually as theres less chance of arch contact.

My 225's are on 8inch rims, and they are fine, but they can also go on 8.5 inch rims as well.

The Golf size is always 225/40, its standard fitment.

Speak with Elite for the best tyre advice, they fit em all day long:

01708 525577

#15 ·
Golfather, have to agree with you on the Avon tyres. After owning a set for about 7 months, I dont think I've been that impressed! They dont seem to have gripped as well as my Fuldas that I had when I bought my alloys. How long are tyres supposed to last as I done roughly about 10-12k in the Avons and they have worn already. What tyres would you recommend? I need to replace 2 right now and will replace the other 2 when they wear down (which may be sooner than I think)

Cheers!

#16 ·
RayBanUK, everyone has their own preference with tyres.

Avons received bad reviews so I didnt get them.

Fuldas, Falkens and Toyos are very grippy and also affordable. Unfortunately you'll find that grippy tyres wear quickly coz of their soft compound.

12k is average for tyres in my opinion ! I change my Falkens around 12-15k too.

It all depends how you drive, take corners etc. I know people who change tyres even at 6-8k.

From experience, I like Falkens and never had a prob with them. If my supplier did Toyo's I would get them instead as I've never heard a bad word against them.

Like I said, speak to Elite, they know their tyres the best.

#18 ·
GTI Tab. Theres a place in liverpool that does part worns VERY cheap. he has 17/18 in all the time. Always by my tyres from him. he imports them from germany, where the legal limit is 5 or 6mm. so theres always some with loads of tread. about £30-40 each.

He advertises in yellow pages. only at the top of upper parliament street.

heres his number.

0151 734 4420

#22 ·
Having spent some time reading through the forums ... I'm still stuck ... not sure what tyres to get, or where to get them from :(

It's a V6 4Motion, with standard wheels (16") and I have previously stuck with Yokohama A520/A539 Tyres which were great on my old TDi, but not sure how they compare these days.

I want a good quality tyre, grip preferred over longevity and preferably a <£100 price per tyre.

Anyone got any sensible advice ? So far I am thinking Yokohama AVS Sport, for about £89/tyre but open to experienced advice :) For reference, my mate has an Impreza Turbo, and has recently swapped Pirelli PZeros for Toyo Proxes ... and reckons they're pretty good - anyone with a Golf care to add to this ?

Cheers,

Jon

#23 ·
quote:

Originally posted by jonnyboy

Anyone got any sensible advice ? So far I am thinking Yokohama AVS Sport, for about £89/tyre but open to experienced advice :) For reference, my mate has an Impreza Turbo, and has recently swapped Pirelli PZeros for Toyo Proxes ... and reckons they're pretty good - anyone with a Golf care to add to this ?
This may or may not be helpful to you, but everyone I know who's switched to Toyo Proxes rates them very highly indeed. Now, this is mostly on Audi's, but it's almost the same, isn't it [;)]

From what I understand, the Toyo's are excellent all round tyres and are being priced low currently so that Toyo can get a toyo-hold in the market place.

Before the Toyo's came along, the Yoko's were rated pretty highly, but I gather that their wet weather performance is nothing special right now, whereas the Toyo's have excellent wet weather grip.

Trev

#25 ·
Cheapest i could find for GSD3 F1's was £98.50 on mytyres.net, but then youve gotta pay for valves fitting balancing disposal etc...

Ive just been on the phone to my local Tyrespot tho (thanks for that Jim!), and theyve given me these quotes, for tyres 225/45/17 all fitted balanced etc...

AVON ZZ3 £225.22

BRIDGESTONE RE040 £231.49

CONTI CSC £238.31

DUNLOP SPT 2000 £221.11

GOODYEAR GSD3 £210.04

HANKOOK £173.59

MICHELIN PILOTE £261.95

PIRELLI P6000PG £224.89

TOYO T1S £230.86

Look at the price of the F1's!! Even getting them mail order, and getting them fitted, i doubt id get as cheap as that. Very impressed....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.