Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could be having a change of uni/career/everything next year, if so id prob deffo get a Beemer 320 or ideally 330D, saying that ive not driven one but have had some 325i's in the past, id deffo be getting it chipped.

Just curious to the best mpg id expect to get, round and town and on the motorays, maybe someone has one/has used one?!?

and do they all have LSD as standard these days?

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Very few if any non-M cars have an LSD. Don't be fooled by people calling their cars an M-Sport version either. It's just a Sport with M badges....

The reasons that they don't fit them any more is that the ASC/DSC type traction/skid control is so good, you can still 'play' with the tail out before the electronic 'nanny' kicks in. They did change the settings/type for the 2003 model - it's much better than the 2001 I had before.

MPG for the 320d is averaging 39 for round town work. I haven't used it on the motorway for a while and if you were using it on longer runs the figure would go up. The 330d tends to give 30-35 dependant on use (don't believe the BMW OBC either - mine says it's doing 46mpg.....)

IMHO they really are the best car in the (real) world - the blend of power, handling, economy, build quality and pace is second to none.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Richard W - how does your 320d SE compare with a Mk IV 150 (if u've
driven one). Is it as fast as a tdi 150? I guess that the BMW will be
quite heavy so I was wondering if it has enough power. I'm sure the
handelling must be much better than the Golf. Also I don't see many 320
cd's. I'm guessing the coupe is the more sporty than the saloon.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
It's funny, due to gearing and power delivery differences even my 115 leaps away from the BMW initially, but as the BMW power comes in it then takes the upper hand. So I would say that whilst the Golf 'feels' faster (all that torque low down and short gearing to give a good shove) the BMW is actually the faster car.

I've never tried a 150 so can't comment as a direct comparison there, but my 115 has been on the RR at 141bhp so it's not far off.

The diesel coupe has only recently been launched (2003?) and I would guess that the weight is not actually that much different. I would also think that the coupe will be slightly stiffer as std. I'm sure Mike will be able to comment from a coupe perspective.

Personally, I'd set a budget and then look for the best 330d manual for the money that I could find (the economy on the auto is not much better than a 330i petrol). The 320d is very very good, but the 330d is just brilliant. Whatever you do make sure you get a post 2001 facelift car (what I call the 'smiley lights' change - look at the indicators, you'll understand) which has the sharper front end and the wishbone bush issue has been sorted.

I've been looking recently and for ?13-14k you can get a good 330d Sport saloon with sensible miles and they are the best bet from a handling/residuals point of view. Some say the sport is too stiff, and the SE is better - for a family car my SE touring is just right, but there are times when I'm on my own that I wished for just a little less compliance. Having tried a couple of Golfs I'd say the SE is sort of Eibachs/Koni adjustables type ride/handling whilst the sport is coilover standard, hence why many BMW owners don't touch the suspension - it's that good as std.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Thanks for that I didn't realise how sporty the SE was - but then again
it is a bmw. I've been in a 330 sport and I was shocked how stiff it
was. I've just been looking at Sports, but there are loads more SE's
available.

·
Registered
690 Posts
The diesel coupe has only recently been launched (2003?) and I would guess that the weight is not actually that much different. I would also think that the coupe will be slightly stiffer as std. I'm sure Mike will be able to comment from a coupe perspective.
I believe the come standard with sport suspension, at least here in Luxembourg.

Whatever you do make sure you get a post 2001 facelift car (what I call the 'smiley lights' change - look at the indicators, you'll understand) which has the sharper front end and the wishbone bush issue has been sorted.
And 14 bhp extra, totaling 150!

My dad used to have a 320d and I drove it quite a lot. It is a brilliant car IMHO, as Rich said it's a perfect blend of performance, handling, economy, build quality and looks. Make sure you double check the turbo, as ours gave up within a year (thank god for the warranty!) and I believe there were more cases like this throughout Europe.

Definitely a league or two above the Golf's. Even though I have never driven a 150PD, the Golf has a much worse handling, lots of squeaking noises and much more little problems (e.g. window regulators etc) than the Beemer.

The 330d is amazingly powerful for a diseaseal and puts to shame many "performance" cars, but in the real world the 320d is perfectly sufficient and the thinking man's choice.

One anecdote about BMW quality: My dad used to have a 1990 520i E34...Well in 11 years and 200.000 miles he NEVER had to change the brake discs, yes they lasted that long! Shame they don't make cars like this anymore...

Oh and he will take delivery of a brand spanking new 330d in little more than a month, so I'll be posting a review if you're interested!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
There were some turbo issues on early 150 cars - don't worry too much 'cos I think if they were going to blow they'd have done it by now. My '01 didn't have any problems in 75k and my '03 feels fine at 33k (touch wood!!).

Sorry I forgot about the extra 14bhp it's a much better engine - at least there aren't any missing torques eh[;)]

AFAIK the coupe come in SE and Sport versions too, so have a look round.

Glad to know I'm not the only one that likes them [:D]

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
if you are gonna get a 320, definately get the diesel. My wife has a 320i sport ( 53 plate ) - and its heavy and slow. I think the book says 0-60 is 8.2s - yeah right !! Doesn't feel like 170 BHP. My wife only does short journeys and so it averages less than 23mpg.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
My choice would be between a Golf mk iv GT TDi which is a much newer
car with more gadgets (auto lights etc). And prob a 320d, I'm guessing
less toys but built from the ground up to handle - I like the sound of
that!!

·
Registered
690 Posts
My father just took delivery of his new 330d today, went with him to pick it up and tried it briefly.

All I can say is...OMG! The car is well built, bar a few plastics bits which are really britlle and wouldn't look out of place in a FIAT. I am a bit concerned it will start rattling in a few years though, The interior is made of good material and packed with nice gadgets, his is quite high spec and it feels quite special.

Driving-wise, I only tried it for 15min but it feels very planted, maybe even slightly more comfortable than his previous Beemer. The brakes are very strong as usual. And the engine - then ENGINE! It pulls like a train! I tried a 50 to 120mph in 6th gear and it really is impressive. You don't get that kick in the back feeling, but the speedo needle keeps climbing and climbing! Economy seemed also very good during that brief drive.

If you can afford it, go for it!

·
Registered
690 Posts
He's not really a boy-racer like me lol, he doesn't really care about how powerful a car is, so he's not gonna chip it or de-restrict it [:(]

I doubt that it will do more than the restricted 155mph, it "only" has 231bhp at the end of the day.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have just moved over to a 320D sport before christmas and it much better than My 150 TDI Golf less rattles smoother ride and the power delivery although slow to pick up from rest compaired to the Golf when it gets going would stay with the Golf no problems then over 100 the BMW would certainly be better. The BMW feels slow compaired to the GOLF and indeed around town and on narrow roads where lots of gear changes are required it is, on Motorways A & B roads the BMW would be the quicker, but one thing is for certain the BMW has superior build quality, less noise, better comfort and better handling as standard.

In summary regarding speed/power each is excellent but in different ways so a head to head comparison is impossible

I choose a 320 over a 330 after being given inaccurate information about the 330 fuel consumption (later told by a friend who has had both that he was disappointed with the 320 as it only gives him 4 - 6 MPG more, although he is an auld Lad) I am still please although a Remap is planned in the near future as apparently this bring 320 performance in line with 330 when the weight advantage is taken into account

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
a Remap is planned in the near future as
apparently this bring 320 performance in line with 330 when the weight
advantage is taken into account
MKIV PD150: 1442KG

320Ci: 1,465KG

330Ci: 1,505KG

60BHP and 40KG lighter, must be a
good remap considering its an NA Petrol! But I know what you mean about
the 330 consumption, some suggested thr 330 was heavy on juice but its
positively economical compared to my old Bora 2.8
- I get 400 miles a tank on the motorway, and at ?49 to fill up its ?5
cheaper than the Bora too (300 miles a tank).

·
Registered
175 Posts
If you read the comment you would see that the cars I was talking about were diesels as mentioned earlier in the post a remapped 320D is not to far from a 330D and the weight difference is 320 (1490kg) versus the 330 at (1595kg), so that is why a remap is planned I realise that the same scenario with petrol versions would produce different results, By the way how do you manage a cheaper fill as my tank all be it in a saloon hold 8 litres more than my Golf

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
If you read the comment you would see that the cars
I was talking about were diesels as mentioned earlier in the post a
remapped 320D is not to far from a 330D
I choose a 320 over a 330 after being given inaccurate information
about the 330 fuel consumption (later told by a friend who has had both
that he was disappointed with the 320 as it only gives him 4 - 6 MPG
more, although he is an auld Lad) I am still please although a Remap is
planned in the near future as apparently this bring 320 performance in
line with 330 when the weight advantage is taken into account
My mistake, wasn't immediately obvious as I read the latter.

·
Banned
774 Posts
320D with 150bhp is nowhere near as quick as a PD150 MKIV. I know I test drove both before buying my ex-Anniversary Pd150 and logged the data.

330D is another story, I was handed my ass on a plate by one of these in the PD150 when it was remapped.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts