Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been trying to perfect my launching technique and get the best 0-60 time possible but am abit unfamiliar as to what i should do off the lights!

Do i leave traction on?

Where do i hold the revs at before i drop the clutch?

When should i shift before losing power on the limiter??

Would be nice to see everyones views, opinions and tricks on this!

Cheers guys YOGi

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Quote: posted by Essex Escy on 04/02/2005 18:25:25

"drop the clutch"?

Swing your foot off it quickly letting it out as fast as possible.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
did you know...

when testers attempt to find the 0-60 times of a particular car, they forget 1st gear, it spins the wheels too much.

they s elect second, bring the revs up and then sidestep the clutch.

sidestep as in just moving their feet sideways so the clutch pedal launches back up. this way, the car either leaves the line with little wheelspin or the clutch/gearbox/engine goes bang and they swap out and try again.

my college lecturer used to work in motorsport and saw this technique destroy numerous ferrari gearboxes and even saw a jaguar bonnet morph into the shape of conrods and cylinder heads as the engine detonated!

·
Registered
76 Posts
dont get a bog standered bora 2.0 & put 225 18" tyres on & rev the bum out of it and dump the clutch cos the tyres grip so much the clutch just slips & burns the bum out of it.[V]

·
Registered
250 Posts
Quote: posted by Blue V5 on 04/02/2005 18:43:13

snip 8< snip 8<

this way, the car either leaves the line with little wheelspin or the clutch/gearbox/engine goes bang and they swap out and try again.

Did you really mean to write that without a smiley of any sort [:O]

I can see the truth in it, but I found it hilarious LOL [:D][:D][:D]

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I find having the traction off, & being in 2nd, 3500 revs relasing the clutch & pressing the gas at a similar rate, she picks up a little slow, then turbo comes in full effect, & wooooosh off you go.

Saying that TDI is a different beast to a 1.8t, short 1st gear [:(].

All I know is it worked yesterday, dint it mr 3series [:D]

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Mine just spins, esp off and it's better otherwise you just loose all power...........

About 2200rpm and quick off the clutch. Works wonders.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Mine just spins, esp off and it's better otherwise you just loose all power...........

About 2200rpm and quick off the clutch. Works wonders.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Do NOT side step!! at all!! you'll blow the trany to poo poo! like the others have said a nice mix of slip and gas to get you rolling..once your off NAIL IT!.. 4WD pah!... LOL! find a suitable testing strip!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts