Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I am no longer in the business of buying laptops, hopefully some of you are as I have lost touch of the latest deals and reps of various laptop manufacturers and their products.

One of my friends has asked me if Fujitsu is a brand worth buying. He has seen a laptop for ?500 in Currys and would like to buy it. It goes against my grain to buy a Fujitsu from previous knowledge just as it does to buy from Currys, but have they both improved themselves and their products/service?

Also, could you recommend a laptop for ?500 other than a Fujitsu?

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Go into staples and pick up an IBM thinkpad, they had a cracking deal the other day on an brand new thinkpad for 399

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Fujitsu Siemens is a heavyweight name, their electronic circuit board manufacturing is among the most high precision seen in the desktop motherboard market, and I've been surprised at the sort of mobile computing hardware they've offered for the money, the playing field is more level these days, ?500 buys a fair bit of kit, just don't expect blistering performance or fantastic screens (last bunch of Fujitsu Siemens machines I bought for ?600 were great, functionally and in terms of the package deal, but the screens were not fantastic by far, and bear in mind that Fujitsu is a major manufacturer of TFT/LCD panels and supplies many other notebook manufacturers with these parts!).

·
Registered
614 Posts
I  have seen TOSHIBA SATALITE PRO  M40 for ?500 or a M70 PRO for ?650 any good for you but you must get broadband with BT

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
?480 - IBM ThinkPad R50e, clicky

Lenovo ThinkPad R50e 1834 - Celeron M 360 1.4 GHz - RAM 256 MB - HD 40
GB - CD-RW / DVD-ROM combo - Mdm - LAN EN, Fast EN - Win XP Home - 15"
TFT XGA (1024 x 768)

worth going for the 512 model or picking up a cheap 256 stick from
ebay, however the R Series isnt the best model from IBM, I would go for
the T series but

with your budget the R50 is what i`d personally go for (number of reasons why), otherwise go for one of these! clicky although prices for the z60 will begin over 1k when released over here [:(]

good luck hunting [:p]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
That thinkpad R50e was the one I was talking about. It was on offer in staples before christmas for ?399. I know because my mate bought one!

·
Registered
195 Posts
DON'T get a Currys coverplan.. complete waste of time, and effort ringing them up. Also I would never buy Packard Bell again.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Its what i have just got for xmas and find it a great laptop it comes with no trial software preinstalled so you dont have to spend 3 hours taking the rubbish off so you can put what you want onto it [:D] Just boot and play. The only thing i did with mine wqas to add some extra memory to take mine from 256 to 768

Hope this helps

·
Registered
676 Posts
Lenovo IBM are still very good quality and much better than most around.

Also Toshiba and Asus are very good in terms of reliability.

One thing is to go for ATI video card if possible as they generate less heat than Nvidia and so suits a laptop better. An Intel HD is also ok

·
Registered
385 Posts
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-series-3-np300e5a-a02dx-15-6-laptop-11296509-pdt.html

Something like this should do!

The sandy bridge Intel Range have just come out so i would aim for i5 or i7!

i3 is just a bit [N] as well as AMD CPU's

Just watch out as there are the old versions of i3 - i5 - i7 out but just look at the intel sticker to tell which version apart!

Don't worrie about ram unless it less than 2 GB. Graphics don't even worrie about it because anything less £1000 and the GPU's are all about the same! For the price range just aim at getting the best CPU.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
lads this post was 2006
[lol-lol]

I was thinking the same thing when reading all the new comments. People should look at the date of the first post and the last post before replying. [facepalm]

I think the days of 512mb RAM have gone, LOL!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts