Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What have people found to be the best upgrade H7 for there car?

I am thinking of going for the Osram Silverstar 50% ones but would like peoples input.

Thanks

Kevin

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I think any of the 50% brighter ones would be much the same, but IIRC this one has a silver "cap" on the bulb, instead of the usual black one, which I think would look a bit cleaner in the Mkv high beam position, where you can see it. Don't know anything about blue bulbs though.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I did have the ones from kool-vw, Phillips BlueVision Bulbs, which were
excellent. They are the only ones I have used though, so can't compare
them to others.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Osram Silver Star are excellent quality bulbs. Note that the +50% (or +any%) does not mean they are 50% brighter, that would be illegal. What it means is there is 50% more light at a given distance (I think 75m) from the source. They have a silver cap and clear glass, and the construction is first-rate.

Some bulbs are tinted blue to make the output more white (halogen bulbs output yellow, xenon outputs white but is expensive) but at the same time decreases the power of the beam slightly (not that you'd notice, probably) and have a tendency to live a shorter life.

I've got a pair of mint Silver Star H7 for sale if you're interested, less than 2,000 miles on them with very little duty. I've upgraded to PIAA Xtreme White Plus. For a comparison of the output between these two, see http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/227221/ShowPost.aspx

At the end of the day you can't go far wrong with any design from a major brand such as Osram or Bosch. If you want significantly better lighting then HID is the way to go.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Unless you've got triple jointed wrists and pliers for fingers......

I usually drop the bumper, I've done it a few times now so it's only a couple of minutes with a Torx driver then take the whole headlight into the kitchen and do it on the table!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I think PIAA are the best by far pure white light with a tint of blue,the nearest thing to HID's without fitting HID's

cheers

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
if people can change the bulbs on a mk4 golf without taking the bumper off then they must have small willys. i found it impossible. bumper off job here.

·
Registered
436 Posts
i wouldnt take the bumper off it takes 2 minutes, its only hard if dont understand how the clips work, if have to get a little mirror and see, but i wouldnt take bumper off.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Unless you've got triple jointed wrists and pliers for fingers......

I usually drop the bumper, I've done it a few times now so it's only a couple of minutes with a Torx driver then take the whole headlight into the kitchen and do it on the table!
Does removing and replacing the whole headlight unit not alter the alignment at all then? or do you then have to fiddle to get the heaight etc. right again?

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
i wouldnt take the bumper off it takes 2 minutes, its only hard if dont understand how the clips work, if have to get a little mirror and see, but i wouldnt take bumper off.
First time I had to change a H7 I had no choice, it was 8pm last November and I fitted it outside my local Halfords in darkness. After slicing my hands and losing much blood I borrowed a torch from a member of staff and eventually worked out how the clips go on, so simple when you know how. Sidelights can do without bumper removal, though on nearside I had to tilt the headlamp forward a bit by undoing the top bolts, but that's it. Had to unbolt and tilt the battery to do the indicator on that side as well, but then those who saw my car on Sunday will know how much empty space is in my engine bay [:)]

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Does removing and replacing the whole headlight unit not alter the alignment at all then? or do you then have to fiddle to get the heaight etc. right again?
No - 4 screws hold each headlight securely and only if you actually turn the adjuster is the alignment affected.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts