Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, technology has moved on a LOT in the last 5 years, but is it for better or worse!?

Basically what I'm asking is whats your best technological advance or gadget that has come out in the last 5 years?

Mine has got to be broadband!! I can now download vids soooo much quicker! [:p]

·
Registered
352 Posts
Bit predictable but I'd have to say the ipod. Taking your entire music collection anywhere in your pocket. And the styling......

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
LOL, remapping isn't 5 years old is it? More like 10.

I'd say it would have to be USB memory sticks. Completely obliterated
the floppy disc on every level, aswell as taking away some of the cd's
burners glory.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
The only thing that has made my jaw drop and my smile wide has been google earth. Amazing and so simple too.

Turns out you can reinvent the wheel

·
Registered
165 Posts
LOL, remapping isn't 5 years old is it? More like 10.
I'd say it would have to be USB memory sticks. Completely obliterated the floppy disc on every level, aswell as taking away some of the cd's burners glory.
Absolutely. Just got a 1Gb flash drive today. Soooooo quick & easy. I remember being at college, what, 5 years ago, and struggling with stacks of floppies. You could just about squeeze a word doc and maybe a couple of pics on them at most.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
satnav for me
Never even thought of sat nav andy!

Funny, I thought someone would have mentioned mobile phones by now!!!
had a mobile 9 years ago.... not really new anymore..... however
another great new piece of technology that not many people use is
Digital Video for CCTV security applications....... really is
good compared to stupid old vhs tapes

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
I consider mobile phones to be a curse of modern life, not an aid to it, suppose you can switch them off where work can't get you.

As for re-mapping, I'm talking about the plug, click, unplug stuff with a laptop, not the 'solder a chip into your ecu' malarky of yesteryear.

Also Sky+ is just too good with having the abilty to watch what and when you want to watch it and being able to avoid adverts.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Sorry breaking the 5 year rule here but I feel the best technological advancement was the Internet! I mean how many of us couldn't be bothered with libraries except for copying their CD collection or when school work left you with no alternative!

The internet has without doubt changed the world forever.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Digital Cameras have revolutionised photography in the last 5 years ago, certainly for me anyways, as that was when i got my first proper Digi SLR for about 3 grand.
Before that they were silly money 12-20k and only the big boys could afford them, now we can all play.

·
Registered
674 Posts
The first technology that really changed the way I looked at computers was Email (all those years ago)...then the internet, then the mobile, then broadband.

But the best for me at the moment is HD TV....you wait till you see it properly......Un Bloody Believable!!!!!

·
Registered
495 Posts
My JVC Everio camcorder. It records onto a 4GB compact-flash microdrive which means I can instantly watch/edit the videos on my laptop or PDA. I always used to think that camcorders and home movies were naff, but since getting this I'm converted [:$].

C

·
Registered
794 Posts
Bband is over 5 years old now for some people.

DVD is over 5 years

The ipod has just been resold , archos had a blue rubber mounted HD with a LCD display years before apple, this was over 5 years ago as well.

All this technology has been out for more than 5 years , just the marketing made better

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Bband is over 5 years old now for some people.

DVD is over 5 years

The ipod has just been resold , archos had a blue rubber mounted HD
with a LCD display years before apple, this was over 5 years ago as
well.

All this technology has been out for more than 5 years , just the marketing made better
This is true but in terms of mass market rather than niche market they do fall into the last 5 years category.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts