Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, can you please tell me which engine oil is the best for my
golf. I have got 2008 1.9 TDI golf 5 GT sport with 77KW, 6 manual transmission.
Engine it is BXE. Now I got in car Shell Helix 5w30. In service book it
says that for my car it is oil with specification VW 507 00, VW 506 01,
or VW 505 01. I also read something about DPF filters. Does 1.9 TDI Golf
5 2007-2008 got that filter?

Wich oil is better Shell, Mobil, Aral...?

Thanks

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
Best specification is VW504/507 and 5w 30. If you use this oil then it ticks all the possible boxes of any service schedule, DPF or not, petrol or diesel. One oil for everything, so nothing to worry about.

Best oil (arguably) would be Mobil 1 ESP which meets the above specification, although other oils are available for less money. Steer clear of the likes of Halfords own brand, Carplan, and stuff sold in motor discount stores with a name you don't recognise. Fuchs, Silkolene, Millers, Gulf, Shell etc. are all good manufacturers and will be no problem as long as it says"Meets or exceeds VW504/507 5w 30" on the bottle. Avoid oils which say "May be used where VW504/507 specification is required" or anything like that, as they're merely implying that their oil has been tested for compliance with that spec.

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
VW504 is a petrol spec oil. VW507 is a diesel spec oil. Most oils meet both VW504 and VW507 and state this on the bottle. An oil that meets only one spec isn't often found, and I'm unsure what benefits it offers over a fully specced oil, other than it being cheap. If cheap is better for you then okay, but I'd prefer a better quality oil myself. After all, the difference might only be £10 over the year in cost, but a quality brand is worth that to me.

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
Sometimes Tesco have quite good offers on the 1 litre packs of Castrol oil that is recommended for VW's and yes I mean the proper stuff. Ive seen it at £11.99 per litre at at times.
You can get 5 ltrs of Mobil 1 ESP for less than £40. No way would I pay £60 (5 x £12) equivalent for Castrol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts