Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm new here. I'm giving some very serious thought to getting a new 2.0 TDI. They are pretty expensive and I know VW dealers are not famous for dealer discounts, so I was wondering what have or are the best deals any of you have had on a new TDI. Anyone think I could knock them down on the list price from ?18700 to ?17000?

Appreciate any help you can give me,

Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
?17000 should be easy for any dealer to beat.

Our car was ?16730 OTR for 12 months before we started adding a few options that took the price up to 17200ish (Armrest, CD Changer, LUX pack 1, Storage Pack, Highline computer).

That was for 1st March Delivery - I would think it should be possible to get the car even cheaper now...

·
Registered
689 Posts
Welcome to the forum,

Have a look at some of the internet broker prices to get a feel for the type of price you can get the car for, then take a couple of them round different dealers and get them to match them or at least get close.

Let us know how you get on

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi redcup, was that from a dealer, and if so could you tell me which one. The chap in the Tunbridge Wells dealer said they would only try and match prices from other dealers and not internet brokers.

If anyone else can let me know of dealers they have had great prices from I'd be chuffed [;)] .

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Quote: posted by redcup on 30/03/2005 21:53:01

?17000 should be easy for any dealer to beat.

Our car was ?16730 OTR for 12 months before we started adding a few options that took the price up to 17200ish (Armrest, CD Changer, LUX pack 1, Storage Pack, Highline computer).

Redcup - well done for getting such an amazing deal but a ?2,000 discount from a main dealer is, I suggest, a very hard target. You may have walked in at just the right moment when you purchased your car. The brokers ar offering up to around ?1,500 off the list price and that is a pretty good target to have in mind. Achieving another ?500, well, hats off to anyone who can and please tell me the name of the dealer and I will order a new car from them too.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was offered a ?2173.70 discount from VW Derby late Feb before VW Guildford got my order with a ?2210.74 discount. Placed my order on 3rd March so it is possible - the dealers are able to discount to these levels, willing is another thing !!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Wow - I thought I was pretty savvy with the discount thing but ?2,000+ off?

Dmonk - when is your new car expected?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Week 16 build so I guess something like Week 19 - w/e 13th May hopefully ! Can't wait as my 3 series has got the "I know I'm being sold" sulks!!

Damian

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I think if thats the way you want it just print off the prices on broker4cars or silimar site and wave that at them.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Cheers Damian, I read your post again. Its quite a spec you have put together there, I add it up to ?22,000 ish on the road! So the bottom line is they knocked off 10%? Pretty good though still.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've mentioned the broker for cars prices to my local dealer and he just shugged and said he didnt know how they did things or came to those prices but that they would only compete with a figure I had got from another main dealer. He was like well if you beleive that (internet broker prices) then you must be daft. Spouted off about lead times bla bla bla...

·
Registered
740 Posts
Quote: posted by kenl on 30/03/2005 22:08:29

Tell your dealer that brokers get their car from normal UK dealers!

This man speaks the truth! [:D]

Brokers get their cars from normal VW dealers, they just have an agreed discount rate. You don't even pay the broker anything, its all done through the VW dealership (they pay the broker.)

I bought mine through UKNewCars and saved 2k, got the car through VW Bury St Edmunds, but they deal with quite a few dealerships up and down the country. Just ask which ever is closest to you.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
The dealer is understandadly trying to protect his prices. Its not good news for them if the general thinking is "if they are not giving me 10% off I will not buy".

However, if you are prepared to shop outside of your local area you will get the deal. You may also have to get in the car and visit a few dealers in person. If you present yourself as ready to order there and then, with the cash for the deposit (?500 tops) but on the condition you get 10% off the bottom line 'on the road' price for your speced car it will not be too long before you get a 'yes'.

A dealer is much less likely to agree to this over the phone. Your precence in their showroom will make the difference but you have to give them the strong signal that if they agree they will get the order at that moment and not just be used as a lever to get 11% off at the next place.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
By the way - try to speak to the dealers that we know already deal with brokers, such as the ones mentioned here. The dealer in Aberdeen definately works with brokers as I have read of quite a few people getting their cars from them through brokers.

·
Registered
40 Posts
VW Guildford initially offered be ?800 discount and that was their

"absolute bottom line", and yes I was sitting infront of him. Then I went to broker4cars who put me in touch with VW Derby for the initial ?2173.70 discount. When I went back to Guildford with Derby's price, they bettered it on the basis that it was a break-even deal but they would make their money from servicing the car.

Mark V - OTR was ?23205.74

Shifty - can PM you copies to "wave" if you wish

Damian

1 - 20 of 22 Posts