Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which are the best products to wash your GTi with?

1/. The best product to clean your paint work with?

2/. The best product to wax the paint work with?

3/. The best product to clean Monza II alloys with?

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Interesting questions, there are a multitude of answers, depending on your paint colour.

The best product to clean your paint work with?
The 1st thing would be a good shampoo, like Meguiars NXT, then depending on the state of the paint, a good quality Claybar, again Meguiars do a value for money pack.

Next, if you have swirls & marring its going to need a session with a PC, IMO Menzerna products remove VAG swirls the easiest.

Now the paint is correct you need to Polish it, for this I would say there are many available to choose from, such as P21S Paint cleanser, or Meguiars Deep Crystal polish #2. My Current favourite is ZYMOL HD-Cleanse.

The best product to wax the paint work with?

The answer cant really be given without knowing the colour, but for most colours you wont go wrong with a synthetic type material, like Meguiars NXT. I've used both Liquid & Paiste versions, currently I'm liking the Paiste for some reason ?

You can top it with a Carnuaba Wax for extra depth/shine, but the life span of Carnuaba is very short, due to it burning off in sunlight (whats that [:S]?) Again there are many to choose from, such as P21S, HARLY, POORBOYS, ZYMOL.

If your not up to waxing much, these carnuaba's arent for you, COLLINITE 476 is ultra long life & will last many months, up to 6 I believe..

The best product to clean Monza II alloys with?

I'd suggest Meguiars Hotrims, its top rate stuff.

The best thing to do is remove the wheels & clean them off the car, getting all the crud off the backs too. Then apply a few coats of wax, like NXT & then seal them with some PoorBoys wheel sealant. The next time you come to clean them, all you'll need is a sponge & shampoo, the crud will fall off.

Dont forget to add some dressing to your tyres too, Meguiars Endurance Tyre gel is the best I've used to date for lasting.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I agree with Jace, for costs, results and effort you can't beat Meguires IMHO.

I've tried Zymol (expensive) and you look a prat waxing just useing your hands.Also very temperature depndent.

I do like Zymols wheel cleaner, as it contains no acid or abrasives.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replys, my GTI is steel gray colour, so I suppose Meguires are the one to go for?

What about autoglym any good?

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Question for u Jace.

After using NXT on my wheels, I don't want to strip it away when I'm doing a 'maintence clean'. I know Megs hot rims is non acidic but surly it's gonna eat through the NXY right or wrong?

·
Registered
178 Posts
As far as wax and Meguiars goes, I have found that the products work better on different colours. Deep Crystal Step 3(Carnuaba sp) seems to works better on light coloured cars, and you can build the layers up pretty quickly without waiting for the wax to cure for very long. NXT on the other hand I find much better on darker coloured cars. With NXT you should leave 24 hrs between layers to allow the wax to cure properly, and ideally not get it wet during this time to allow the polymers to setup. If you try to layer it before about 24 hrs all you do is replace the first layer with the new one, as it has slight cleaning properties and takes the lower layer off if it hasnt set up properly.

also NXT only starts to look realy good after about 2-3 layers. It also doesnt seem that durable either.

Well according to the Megs forum on their website anyhow.........

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Question for u Jace.

After using NXT on my wheels, I don't want to strip it away when I'm doing a 'maintence clean'. I know Megs hot rims is non acidic but surly it's gonna eat through the NXY right or wrong?
Possibly it will, but when you have 2-3 coats of NXT on the rims you shouldnt need any wheel cleaner, just a sponge, hot water & some decent shampoo.

IMO people get the wheel cleaner out to quickly these days, you shouldnt need to use it if you keep on top of things.

2p

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Question for u Jace.

Possibly it will, but when you have 2-3 coats of NXT on the rims you shouldnt need any wheel cleaner, just a sponge, hot water & some decent shampoo.

IMO people get the wheel cleaner out to quickly these days, you shouldnt need to use it if you keep on top of things.

2p

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi All

New here but have been known to a few othere forumss [8-|] ! as for me i swear by Swissol ( its a TT forum thing [:D])

Sorry its a TT may be an MK5 soon !

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Yes I agree - I have my wheels waxed and then give each a wipe over every couple of days, takes about ten minutes but means they constantly look good.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
where do you lot but these maguiar's products?   do they sell all these products in halfords for example, or do you buy them off the website?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thanks b10cker - does anyone know of a uk source for the polisher?
as far as i know there isnt one, besides i was like you and was sceptical of ordering from the u.s. as recomended on detailing world but it was spot on. i ordered on a thurday evening on the autopia website and it was delivered to me on the tuesday morning after. there was no import charge, and if you join detailing world and use the link to the site you also get 15% off , so that and the excelent excanhge rate at the mo you really cant go wrong. you wont be disapointed.[Y]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts