Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its a sad day. My Golf after numerous problems, to many to list has got to go. Im having to make a finanical decision (not on choice I might add), ive spent 100's + 100's of pounds trying to sort out my golf and it's still running crap with a serious intermitant eratic idel problem. Ive just moved in with my missus and I simply can not afford to keep fixing it all the time.

So the way forward...... That where you lot come in.... What to get ?

I should get around ?8K for mine.

So the criteria are...

No more than ?8K.

Not a Golf / Bora (My probs with mine have totally put me off VW now)

Good build quality

Nice looks.

3dr or 5dr.

Newish reg. no older than V plate

Fast'ish but it doesnt have to be.

So what do you all think I should get ? Suggestions please.

·
Registered
581 Posts
A good newish integra type r can be had for that sort of money. they look great, handle brilliantly, bullet proof engine and are very quick as std.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I about one of them, but as they are VAG. Will they have the same issues; Coils, Mafs, Temp Sendors, Window regs ?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote: posted by EddyH on 10/01/2005 11:31:01

Octavia vRS or 4x4 is what I'd go for and you'll get much newer than a V for ?8k.

Id have to convince the missus.. she has wats known as a Badge issue.....

hmmmmmmmm.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote: posted by turbo paul on 10/01/2005 11:31:19

A good newish integra type r can be had for that sort of money. they look great, handle brilliantly, bullet proof engine and are very quick as std.

I just dont seem to like the look of them. [:I]

·
Registered
221 Posts
Quote: posted by turbo_gti on 10/01/2005 11:33:56

Octavia vRS or 4x4 is what I'd go for and you'll get much newer than a V for ?8k.

hmmmmmmmm.

They are a very good car, if you took her out in one she probably would be convinced. Skoda's are brilliant cars now. I will probably never buy a VW again knowing how good Skoda and SEAT are. If you look beyond the badge you see some mighty fine cars:)

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Quote: posted by turbo_gti on 10/01/2005 11:33:56

hmmmmmmmm.

My missus was the same, I wanted a vRS when we got the old Golf, I finally convinced her though when we got the 4x4 and she now thinks it's the best car we've had by quite a margin. I think Skoda also do very well in the JD power survey and the general opinion seems to be that Skoda dealers are much better than VW.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Two good points there guys. Il have to take her for a test drive then and she wat she thinks.

ill have a look on autotrader now and see whats about...

·
Registered
437 Posts
BMW 328i Sport - for you budget you'll get a R/S plate with history and very good spec.

GSF & independents mean that running costs are not prohibitive and you drive round in something that was ?30k new.

You'll really notice the difference in quality compared to a 3/4 year old VW, Skoda, Seat.

Icing on the cake is that the 3 series 'Sports' models in the riht colour are always sought after by enthusiasts.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Quote: posted by turbo_gti on 10/01/2005 11:58:15

Two good points there guys. Il have to take her for a test drive then and she wat she thinks.

ill have a look on autotrader now and see whats about...

You can get a 51 plate vRS from a skoda dealer with a 1yr warranty for your budget.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Accord Type R. More practical than the integra but just as much fun. Be sure to get the 2.2i rather than the 2.2, if you want some more power.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Volvo S60 - lovely cars IMO - should get a 2.0 turbo Y reg 40k miles for that money

+ Massive kit, comfort, refinement and safety, performance

- not a sporty ride, image?

·
Banned
774 Posts
How about an E39 5 series, good build quality and you should be able to get a 523 with FSH, 0-60 in around 8 seconds if that matters to you and a lot of car for the money.

Plus you can avoid VAG group cars as they've failed you this time round.

edited to add here's a couple off autotrader as I was logged in

2000 BMW 523i SE, V reg.

low mileage, metallic silver coachwork, black leather interior, one former keeper, fsh, alloys, alarmed, immobiliser, ABS, airbags, p/s, e/w, multi-functional steering wheel, too much to list, real eye-catcher, priced to sell, p/ex a pleasure, guaranteed finance available. ?7,999. (020) 86860349

2000 W Reg BMW 5 Series 2494 cc 523i SE,

4 Doors, Automatic, SALOON, Petrol, Topaz Blue Metallic, CD Player, ABS Brakes, Air Conditioning, Alloy Wheels, Central Locking, Alarm, Driver's Airbag, Multiple Airbags, Power Steering, Immobiliser, Cruise Control, Electric Windows, Full Service History, Immaculate cond, Unmarked Throughout, Must Be Seen. ?7,999.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ive had a clio. Nice Car but I need something bigger.

Sammyboy, Ive been looking at BMWs also, but im only 24 with two years NCB. The insurance on any BMW seems to kill me. My golf ?900, W plate BMW ?1400.

·
Banned
774 Posts
For some reason BMW's cost a fortune to insure relative to their speed/parts cost.

The insurance on my 540 was ?1400 a year and I lived in a decent postcode, full NCB but over 25.

Perhaps you'll have to look at some VAG group cars, if so my 8K would go into a Skoda Octavia VRS or 1.8T 4X4.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts