Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Winter is starting to take its toll on the old BBS CH's. Regular cleaning is still proving difficult with the amount of salt, mud and slush on the road. Even though the car is cleaned on average twice a week, I find brake dust is becoming a problem and it has started to build up in the corner of the spokes as well as 'spotting' along the spokes themselves.

Can you guys recommend a good alloy wheel cleaner that will get rid of stubborn brake dust? More importantly can you recommend one that is EASY TO FIND and available from most stores?

Ive heard Claybar is good, but no-one sells it locally and I dont really want to be mail ordering cleaning materials.

Suggestions please? Thanks! [:D]

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Speak to "john whittle" with regards to some "MC2" cleaning product...

I have tried it and its very impressive! That along with some clay bar will give your wheels a treat!

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I can vouch for MC2 and a clay bar, followed by some wheel wax.

Look what I managed to do to my Monty II's just using a hose and a little elbow grease [:D]

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
You would get the same results mate... they will have laquer on them also!

Clay bar and MC2..

I also find just the poorboys shampoo (which you have already) and the clay bar will work very well also! - the MC2 has slightly more power tho!

I would suggest using old bits of clay bar on the wheels, pieces you may have dropped and keep the top stuff for the body work.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I have recently come across a product called Virisol available from HERE. It is a real bargain @ ?5.49 for 5 litres. Its not ment for wheels, but does a dam good job using the same guidelines I had for the MC2.

EDIT: Use at own risk to wheels.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
John Whittle is the name I believe.

He is a user here! [:)] Nice guy.

I think a gallon of it is around 30 pounds, however you use it to about 1 to 10 parts water so it stretches for ages. I used mine is a plant sprayer pre mixed for easy application.

·
Registered
102 Posts
i bought the viro-sol stuff too, bargain price and its good stuff. I still find Jif/Cif to be the best for taking heavy dirt off hte wheels. Some people will probably be shocked at me using cif but i've never had any bother with it. Clean with water, then viro-sol then cif then coat with car wax and polish - sorted

cat

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Quote: posted by cat on 24/01/2005 14:20:17

Some people will probably be shocked at me using cif but i've never had any bother with it.

Well it's non-acidic so fine that way, but have you never noticed any wee swirls or scratches from the 'bits' in it? It seems awful grainy to me...

·
Registered
102 Posts
nope never had any hassles with it at all, no swirls on the wheels. It does bring them up like new. Use the Cif bathroom spray or the cif mouse if ur worried about the 'bits'

cat

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I got the same types of marks over time on my alloys since winter - clayed them after using MC2 on Friday and the black spots came off no problem.

You HAVE to get yourself a clay bar.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts