Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a flat screen to replace my aging (but faultless) 19" Hyundai IQ crt

anyone got any ideas for the best flat screen around at the mo

I occasionally play games and want good performance but am generally on the desktop and like high resolutions

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I bought a samsung Syncmaster 930BF, 19" 700:1 brightness and 4 ms refresh. Its their gaming version. I think I bought it for 230 ish online. Imagewise its very good but a little behind the Iiyama version. No dead pixels.

The only thing I'll say against it for games is that at its native res of 1280 x 1024 my geeforce 6600 struggles withe games like Doom 3 so u need a punchy gfx card to get the most of any 19"

here is where I bought it from, shipped from Holland

http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=311134&cks=KRF

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
A friend ordered one of the following from Play.com;

Posted Image

£129.99 delivered for a 19" widescreen, 3 year warranty, 5ms responce time (check Amazon) and Digital and Analog inputs. You can run up to 1440x900 resolution.

You can also get a standard 19" for the same price

Posted Image

The thing I can fault the monitor for are the inbuilt speakers, there pony.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
That panel looks a little suspiciously cheap!!

But it depends on yout budget, images do vary and you pay for quality. BTW, iiyama have an ebay page off thier main site a good place to pick up bargins - they make the best tft screens but cost a bomb!

U might want to hold out for a while as gfx cards are now going from DVI to HDMI. Also read up on iso dead pixel policy.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I'd make sure you get one with DVI input.

Not sure what the response times are on these, but Sony X-Black models are sweet as. Expensive though, but you did say best!

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i can't decide what to do, get a 19" tft which will be nearly 1.5" bigger than my current 19"crt but only handle 1280*1024 res or get a 20" which will be 2.5" bigger and more expensive but handle 1600*1200 res (which is what i use now)

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Your gfx card will need to be mega if its gonna handle that res for thr 20" (that is native res right?) But if your not into games it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I never really considered that, obviously i understand tft have a native res but up till now its been below what i typically use and thats been the issue, not running a lower res for a game which is now the issue.

how bad would it be if i got a 20" with a res of 1600*1200 but didn't run games that high?

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I never really considered that, obviously i understand tft have a native res but up till now its been below what i typically use and thats been the issue, not running a lower res for a game which is now the issue.

how bad would it be if i got a 20" with a res of 1600*1200 but didn't run games that high?
Its just a little blury, I suppose its no big deal but its something to be aware of. I've got a 19" 1280x1024 and I need to run 800x600 in most games (geeforce 6600 256 meg, amd 3,000+ with 1 Gig system ram). Its just not as pin sharp as native.

Also watching movies the need to be about 1024x768 - closest res to wathing dvds on a tv. Question is do u go for a quality 19" or a budget 20"?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Ifyour happy with the Hyundai CRT, why not look at the new 19" Widescreen offering from them - Hyundai N91W.

Its one of the fastest selling 19" widescreens at OCUK and has the all important DVi connection and 5ms response. Do a search for the best price as they are available from lots of big etailers now.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lol i thought you'd be along with a sales pitch at some point.

i did think about a hyundai again but couldn't find any, plus i don't think i want a widescreen

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Its just a little blury, I suppose its no big deal but its something to be aware of. I've got a 19" 1280x1024 and I need to run 800x600 in most games (geeforce 6600 256 meg, amd 3,000+ with 1 Gig system ram). Its just not as pin sharp as native.

Also watching movies the need to be about 1024x768 - closest res to wathing dvds on a tv. Question is do u go for a quality 19" or a budget 20"?
movies isn't a problem cos i run those on my HDTV, i'm not a big gamer but when the next installment of HL2 comes out i want it to look good, as it has before

i really can't decide between the sizes, the money won't make the decision for me, if i decide 20" then i'll get a reasonable one, if i decide 19" then i'll get a reasonable one of those

as i'm mostly on the desktop or running movies/HD programs on my tv, the 20" is calling to me but the 19" will be bigger than i've got, just not the same res that i use

aaaarrgh!!!

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Widescreen is so much nicer, you benefit more from this than faster CPU in many cases. It just looks so much more natural.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i have a 19" widescreen at work

what happens about games then? i guess more modern games support widescreen?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts