Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering whether to get myself a front mounted intercoller but don't really know alot about them.

I understand you don't replace them for bhp increases but was interested to find out exactly what the benefits are. I do plan on getting a turbo back exhaust and stage 2 Revo in the near future and although the fmic is not required as part of the stage 2 alot of people seems to be opting to get one.

Any help would be most appretiated

·
Registered
558 Posts
Intercoolers improve both the efficiency and power of any turbocharged application by rapidly reducing inherent heat levels of the compressed intake air charge before entering the engine - so it will improve bhp as a byproduct - moreso by being front mounted.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Having a front mount intercooler will help prevent you from loosing the bhp you curently have due to heat as the factory side mount heat soaks easily in sustained boost situations and so the ECU will pull back and so you will loose power.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
A FMIC will not increase BHP, it will however stop you losing it.
As heat rises so do does timing which the ECU pulls back for safety thus robbing you of vital power, especially on a warm day.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I like to say that with an FMIC your car in the summer feels like it
does on a cold winters morning... so your not directly getting any more
BHP, your just not losing any that you inherently do when its warm...

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Will a fmic have any adverse effects on the running temps of the engine as i found on my last car?.

Having a big hunk of metal blocking the radiator didnt do me any favours.

id be interested to know

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Yes, coolant temps will rise and the fans will be operating more than they used to.

I have seen my coolant temps rise from 90 degrees to 96 degrees.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Now where can i get a FMIC without costing an arm and a leg?!? Forges one for ?750 seems way too much tbh. Has anyone made there own or modified another, how much am i looking at?

Cheers

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
At some point i will be getting one made up and for the core alone id say it will cost about ?250

the only other bits i will need are the boost pipes from one of
the 1.8t engines that have the ilet of the cooler on the passenger side
and a few bits of samco and some other various metal pipes.

This will not be a full sized cooler as in it will not completely block
the radiator. The grill of the bumper will be filled and the grill
between the headlights will srill flow air to the radiator.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Yes, coolant temps will rise and the fans will be operating more than they used to.

I have seen my coolant temps rise from 90 degrees to 96 degrees.
Can this cause any problems? Or is it designed to be within a safety zone for the coolant temperature?

·
Registered
445 Posts
believe it or not i used scafold tube. not the thick stuff ,they make a light weight tube which is about 2mm thick. and is 2" in diameter so is spot on for the job. the bends i used samco hoses.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
thats what i like to hear.On my last car i used some 60mm aluminium piping from RS and some samco hoses.Did the job a treat too.

Think i may go this route again.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Mo if your after one then give allard a ring thats where i got mine they sell them on ebay aswell. or they will do a custom one for you..

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Mine will cost around ?550, thats with 2' pipework, map bung welded in, ibiza top pipe, 2 x 2.5' to 2' silicone reducers, a few silicone pipe links and precision bar and plate FMIC. Still debating on whether to use aluminium or steel for piping, swaying towards steel as there is a local fabricator to me who is very good.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts