Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the weekend i started colour coding my car. So far ive done the front and rear rub strips and the rear valance. I still need to do the front valance and the door strips (+ maybe the handles and mirrors).

Here are some before pics!

Posted Image

Posted Image

And some after pics (not great pics, but still)

Posted Image

Posted Image

[:D] Im very pleased with the transformation of the front end! When the valance is done i'll be well chuffed! What shall i go for - 4mo front valance or standard? (im replacing as the current one is damaged)

·
Registered
453 Posts
Very nice, makes a big difference. What did you use to paint them with? Spray paint from VW or a Tin of paint from VW or something else..

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
I dont mean to piss on your bonfire, but....

The strips aren't the same colour as the car.
Sorry but i have to agree that the blue looks a tad darker, on the strips, but iirc jazz blue is a hard colour to match.

Sat

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont mean to piss on your bonfire, but....

The strips aren't the same colour as the car.
Sorry but i have to agree that the blue looks a tad darker, on the strips, but iirc jazz blue is a hard colour to match.

Sat
My main concern was the colour match, and yes it does look darker! [:mad:]

I was dreading it being wrong when i stood watching they guy mixing my paint, but what i can i do, its done now ent it! Im hoping it doesnt look that bad, or show too much?!

Im thinking maybe the 4mo is the better option, although colour coding was the idea! Dunno if dare paint anymore! lol Anyone got any more pics of the 4mo?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Looks fine - you can get away with a slight colour difference as its not on the same panel.

If it does concern you, only thing to do is a re-paint. In the past, I have used Halfords for the main paint coat build up and finished the final coat (or 2) with genuine manufacturers paint - this often has a better match.

Got a tin from VW of diamond black (2 tins - one paint and 1 laquer) to repair a tiny scrape on my rear bumper - not cheap at ?12 a time but the match was perfect and thats on pearlescent.

·
Registered
553 Posts
you can still code the 4 mo valance. im getting a price from the stealers. so will let you know.

Edit: just spoke to martin in parts at VW Mac. he does them for ?40.14

but will give a 10% discount to forum members.

Im picking mine up on Sat Front and rear , also picking a set up for a cookiemonster.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Its well done though, and like Sat said, much better than coughing up 100's for a bodyshop to do it!

I always think about doing it but never dare.

Fair play to you mate.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the comments, must admit it did bother me a lot at first, after spending that much time on it and then seeing its not quite right! It stands out a hell of a lot more to me than anybody else lol.

GTIgreen - Thanks for that, im going to go for the 4mo, i cant imagine my local vindis vw will do the same with the discount, but i could ask! What do you mean ' also picking a set up for a cookiemonster.'??

Mantamad - I did think about doing that, i might not bother respraying the parts ive already done, but might get some for the door strips and front 4mo valance.

mattspiers - you should give it a go mate, just take your time, you cant really go wrong! (apart from getting a decent colour match of course! lol)

·
Registered
553 Posts
Thats made me laugh a bit, it should read picking a set up for

cookiemonster who is a forum member. Not a cookiemonster. LOL.

the V6 4 motion rear valance lips out and looks sweet. it does however have a cut out for a twin 80mm miltek.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LOL! I did wonder! I think im going to order the front valance tomorrow. I guess im just asking for the mkiv V6 4motion front valance? Or do i need to know the part number? Also the previous owner had managed to give the front nearside wheel arch liner a bit of a battering! I might as well order one of them while im at it!

Cheers for your help mate

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just rang the vw vindis near me, that place is useless! They never seem to want to help me! They said i need to come in to order 'special order' parts like that! He said bring it in and we will check that it fits!? I said i know it will, but he didnt want any of that. And i have to pay before they order the parts so i cant decline them if they're wrong. I wanted a replacement wheel arch liner for the front nearside too, but i couldnt order that either.

He wouldnt even order a can of paint for me! So i think im going to try again later and tell them i will pay over the phone for them.

I dont think he liked the idea because i said i didnt actually have a 4mo, but am sure it will fit my car.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Elliot

If thats their attitude dont waste your time and DONT give them your business. also open a thread in the dealers and servicing section to warn other forum members.

I can only say that VW Mac have been really helpful and martain from parts has responded to all my posts within 1 day and always been happy to help.

like I said he is sorting me out with a couple of sets of the 4 mo valances and he knocked 10% of them. I have also booked in the Mrs polo for its 20K service at the same time..

If you contact him he may be able to post them out or have them shipped direct to you.. worth a try

http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/thread/543561.aspx

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I spend most of today feeling frustrated about this, at first i wasnt going to bother buying from them, but when i got home i decided to try again, i got a different bloke from the parts department. I explained that i called earlier and that the bloke i spoke to seemed as though he simply didnt want to help me. I explained how he said i would have to come in to order the parts and how i had to pay first. He seemed a bit miffed. I said 'i dont see why i should have to come in twice just to order some parts, all i wanted to do was order some parts for my car, and i cant come in today'.

This bloke just asked me what i wanted, and was very helpful, he understood what i was saying about not owning a 4mo, but wanting the valance, etc. I ordered the 4mo front valance, the nearside wheel arch liner i wanter and a can of paint. He said i can pick them up on saturday morning!

The bloke i spoke to this morning really was useless, rude and unhelpful. When i first bought my car, the stereo was dead. I phoned vindis to ask them about removing it (to check the fuse) and getting the code, i got some idiot on the phone, after finding out that i didnt buy the car from them he just didnt want to help me. He said i would have to book the car in for a hour do they could remove the stereo, and they could not get the code for me bacause 'they've never seen the car before'!?

Eventually i got hold of a friend of my mum, who works in the sales department, i explained what had happened and he was a but shocked, he said ' dont worry mate, i'll bring you a couple of sets of key for the stereo', and sure enough, the very next day he turned up and gave me two sets of keys to remove my stereo! So simple! Why couldnt they have done that in the first place!

Today was the second time ive had to contact my local vw dealer, and the second time ive been completely frustrated by the fact they made such a meal out of a simple request!

But anyway, im pretty pleased i have the 4mo valance on the way, looking forward to painting it and fitting it. Should look pretty sweet!

Sorry for the lenghty post....

....and cheers for the help GTIgreen

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Over the weekend i collected and colour coded my front 4motion valance. Today i put it on my car, here are some pictures....

before....

Posted Image

After.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

1 - 20 of 23 Posts