Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all really, but I've always been a fan but not ever driven one. Obviously its based on the MK4 but I still think it has retained its character for its age.

Just wondered if anyone has owned one and can give me some tips about buying one. I know the range started off only with the 2 litres and then came the TDI, 1.8T and V5. Do they more or less drive like a MK4 Golf? i.e. you'll have to sort out the suspension!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nah, not worth it for the LHD, RHD ones are relatively cheap now (although only 2.0 of course) so was thinking of one of them. That way, I get to keep Porsche Alloys as well (given they were originally from a VW Beetle anyway).

·
Registered
813 Posts
I Have been thinking of getting a demo car for my Dads business (Car Audio etc) The beetle has been an idea for a wile now as its unique!

Porsche Alloys and brakes would look a treat aswell. (Nice choice Rayban)

Any pics of some nice ones done up? I will search....

·
Registered
646 Posts
Drove one of the first LHD ones my company was helping the american guy move to the UK. Was quite nice, but not fantastic. Still dont get the flower vase [;)]

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I remember this one from Edition 38, the owner was selling the wheels for ?1500 and the brakes for a ?1000.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, deffo remember that one from Inters. Was it a V5 by any chance as it looks like one. The owner spent so much on it as all the parcel shelf and roofline was in leather. Gorgeous car. Not a fan on the blue underdash though.

Im looking at getting a normal 2.0 due to me only having about 8K to spend. Now what colour do I get? I kinda want black but know it be a pain to keep clean. Yellow may be a bit loud but on a beetle I think it works surprisingly well given its character. Not keen on Silver, electric and that baby blue but the green is quite nice.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
As it happens there is a yellow one I see for sale on the way to work each morning - shall I get details??

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Quote: posted by RayBanUK on 12/10/2004 09:44:21

Yep, deffo remember that one from Inters. Was it a V5 by any chance as it looks like one. The owner spent so much on it as all the parcel shelf and roofline was in leather. Gorgeous car. Not a fan on the blue underdash though.

Im looking at getting a normal 2.0 due to me only having about 8K to spend. Now what colour do I get? I kinda want black but know it be a pain to keep clean. Yellow may be a bit loud but on a beetle I think it works surprisingly well given its character. Not keen on Silver, electric and that baby blue but the green is quite nice.

IIRC It is a 1.8T engine tuned to 250+bhp. Go for a Black Beetle.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mark, its OK, got a small matter of a wedding/honeymoon to get out of the way next month before Im selling the car and hunting for the next, but thanks anyway.

Nick, Want black, but if I cant even look after Dark Blue, my chances of looking after black is very slim. Have to give it serious consideration. But it justs looks soooooo mean. Mean Bug!

·
Registered
473 Posts
I love the new beetle, when they first came out I test drove a LHD 2.0, was pretty fast and great to drive at the time tho it was just too expensive.

But I just don't think guys suit driving them, I think they are too girly [:I]

The only reason I didn't get one when I bought the golf, as I was thinking about resale, although technically its a golf with a different body they aren't keeping their value to well, hence why I bought the golf.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts