Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all really, but I've always been a fan but not ever driven one. Obviously its based on the MK4 but I still think it has retained its character for its age.

Just wondered if anyone has owned one and can give me some tips about buying one. I know the range started off only with the 2 litres and then came the TDI, 1.8T and V5. Do they more or less drive like a MK4 Golf? i.e. you'll have to sort out the suspension!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nah, not worth it for the LHD, RHD ones are relatively cheap now (although only 2.0 of course) so was thinking of one of them. That way, I get to keep Porsche Alloys as well (given they were originally from a VW Beetle anyway).

·
Registered
813 Posts
I Have been thinking of getting a demo car for my Dads business (Car Audio etc) The beetle has been an idea for a wile now as its unique!

Porsche Alloys and brakes would look a treat aswell. (Nice choice Rayban)

Any pics of some nice ones done up? I will search....

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, deffo remember that one from Inters. Was it a V5 by any chance as it looks like one. The owner spent so much on it as all the parcel shelf and roofline was in leather. Gorgeous car. Not a fan on the blue underdash though.

Im looking at getting a normal 2.0 due to me only having about 8K to spend. Now what colour do I get? I kinda want black but know it be a pain to keep clean. Yellow may be a bit loud but on a beetle I think it works surprisingly well given its character. Not keen on Silver, electric and that baby blue but the green is quite nice.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Quote: posted by RayBanUK on 12/10/2004 09:44:21

Yep, deffo remember that one from Inters. Was it a V5 by any chance as it looks like one. The owner spent so much on it as all the parcel shelf and roofline was in leather. Gorgeous car. Not a fan on the blue underdash though.

Im looking at getting a normal 2.0 due to me only having about 8K to spend. Now what colour do I get? I kinda want black but know it be a pain to keep clean. Yellow may be a bit loud but on a beetle I think it works surprisingly well given its character. Not keen on Silver, electric and that baby blue but the green is quite nice.

IIRC It is a 1.8T engine tuned to 250+bhp. Go for a Black Beetle.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mark, its OK, got a small matter of a wedding/honeymoon to get out of the way next month before Im selling the car and hunting for the next, but thanks anyway.

Nick, Want black, but if I cant even look after Dark Blue, my chances of looking after black is very slim. Have to give it serious consideration. But it justs looks soooooo mean. Mean Bug!

·
Registered
473 Posts
I love the new beetle, when they first came out I test drove a LHD 2.0, was pretty fast and great to drive at the time tho it was just too expensive.

But I just don't think guys suit driving them, I think they are too girly [:I]

The only reason I didn't get one when I bought the golf, as I was thinking about resale, although technically its a golf with a different body they aren't keeping their value to well, hence why I bought the golf.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts