Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone owned got any tips on what to look for with these?

Going to see a red colour concept tomorrow for the wife just need a few pointers on what to look out for.

Any advice greatfully recived [:)]

Chris

·
Banned
774 Posts
My friend had one, I drove it and disliked it compared to the Anniversary PD150 I owned at the time for various reasons not just because it felt slow.

The interior felt cheap to me, the driver seat squeeked like it was going to collapse with even his 9 stone wife in it. The dealer told him this was common, as was active rear spoiler failure.

Other than that it's going to be normal MKIV problems- don't know about window drop on these though. Also the doors are very, very wide so take that into consideration if you plan to park in tight spaces/garage.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
the 2 that I have driven ( including 1 cab ) were both pants IMO, Chris. I know from when we met that your wife likes 'em but I personally wouldn't touch it with a bargepole - its akin to the 1-series, a name for a names-sake[N]

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
My mate's wife has one. She seems to like it, but it is very rattly and squeaky compared to a MkIV. Also it doesn't seem as quick, but then I haven't driven it.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers for the advice guys but the wife has got her heart set on one so trying to get her to look at other cars just isn't going to happen.

Is there anything i should be looking for with the 1.8 T engine any noises i should listern out for anything i should check?

Chris

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well we are now officially a totaly VW house hold the wife is the proud owner of this [:)] Full two tone red black leather, heated seats, parking sensors 6 cd changer full VW service history and only 26k on the clock and i have to disagree with the posts above there are no rattles and the power delivery is good [:)] and best of all she wants to mod it so lowered, remap, 19" here we come!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Chris

·
Banned
774 Posts
The seats are totally different than those in the normal 1.8T. Brash and bold but I like it.

Glad it drives better than my mates 03 car.

Remap it and have fun annoying the hell out of other drivers as you leave 'em for dead. Would leave the 19's well alone though. Stealth is better.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow just checked the Revo site it remaps to 207bhp very impressive [Y]

Any other hidden mod's worth doing to the 1.8?

Chris

·
Banned
774 Posts
Look into a brake upgrade if you go for the remap. Pads might be enough but I'd go for bigger disks as well (think 17" alloys will allow enough clearance) Many MKIV owners on here have done TT conversion, I presume this would be possible on the beetle. Maybe someone else will know for sure.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've had my Beetle 1.8T for 4 years or so now. Its been great. Only thing I don't like about it is the plasticy interior. And mine has a mass of grey horrid plastic, so that red car above is much nicer.
Handling is pretty scary at high speeds. But I put some Koni FSD shocks in, and that sorted the handling a treat without having to lower it.
Jabba Remapped it, and got a healthy 228bhp out of it, so it really does go well now. These Bugs have enormous sleeper potential! The little pop up spoiler is funky too.
Bug has been 100% reliable during the time I have had it too. Its a very fun car ;) Enjoy!

PS, you might want to look at the New Beetle UK forums. Although its a bit clicky at times.. http://newbeetle.org.uk/justbuggin/index.php

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Paul

The wife goes on that forum allot [:)] We will be hunting for bits at Ultimate Dubs this weekend [:)]

Chris

·
Registered
70 Posts
Those seats are great - I find the normal ones too unsupportive but the sport ones stop you sliding round.

They look like the colour concept seats, the only way of getting sports leather in a Beetle at the time.

As for mods... the world is your oyster!! Only tip is don't fit an additional boot spoiler, when the electric pop-up spoiler deploys at 86mph (140k's) it causes instability if another fixed spoiler is fitted.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the tip about the spoiler.

The electric pop up spoiler on the car is a US spec spoiler it comes up at 50mpg and goes down at 5mph like Porsche [H]

Chris

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
312mm brakes will fit under 16" wheels so I'd do that first along with the suspension before getting it chipped.
No point going fast if you can't use it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Richard, I have to admit, My brakes are bog standard on the Bug. And to be honest, I don't find them bad. 288mm I think? Same as GTi's etc.
I doubt they would stand much track day style abuse. But for road use, i've really had no problems with the stock brakes in over 3 years of chipped driving. The car is 4 years old now, and still has its original discs and pads!

But sure, upgrade if you like. It can only help.. Im hoping to go IHI this year, and then my brakes will get beefed up as well.

Going on past experience, i'd say its more important to sort out the handling 1st than the brakes. As in standard trim, Bugs handle pretty terribly in my experience, particularly at speed. I found lowering wasn't required though, just decent shocks. Better still, do both! It doesn't cost much really..

At least Bugs are easy to get tuning parts for. Its all exactly the same stuff MKIV Golfs etc use.

All the best!
Paul

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
You're quite right there Paul, the brakes aren't a necessary upgrade until you get more grunt and then sometimes just a pad change is enough to cope. The suspension is essential though, not coil-overs, just a decent set of dampers to control the wallow.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well we brought our first mods for the bug at ultimate dums managed to get a set of eibach springs and a forge recirculating dump valve [:)]

I had a chat with Midland VW who are walking distance from our house which is handy they recon ?200 for a set of drilled and grooved discs and a set of sports pads fitted which i thought was a good price so there probably next [:)]

Chris

oh and the latest photo's

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

1 - 17 of 17 Posts