Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Mokeylock
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, the wait's finally over. 3 Months ago VW destroyed my front bumper (the only one of its kind in the country) but yesterday i picked my baby up with her new face lift. This one i've been told is also the only one in the country, if this is incorrect i'd like to know.

I prefer it over the older one but in my openion i'll have to change the side skirts as they no loger really flow with the front. I'm also thinking of adding black mesh instead of the silver one on it at the moment (thought i'll try out the all silver look for a while).

Let me know your comments, good or bad (well, not the really bad ones). Before anyone tells me... i know i got to repaint the sideskirts but like i said i'm thinking of changing them so might not touch them for a while (the last paint job on it was very bad)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Planning to do some work on the bonnet and i got to find a place to put the front numberplate. Any suggestions? I was thinking a sticker of the number plate somewhere on the front... if anyone's got an idea please let me know.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Personally, I'm not too keen on it. The lines are a little too busy and straight edged which dont really suit the simple curved lines of the golf.

But everyone has their own taste, and the most important thing is whether you like it or not.

Thumbs up to you for trying to be a little different though

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Personally, I'm not too keen on it. The lines are a little too busy and straight edged which dont really suit the simple curved lines of the golf.

But everyone has their own taste, and the most important thing is whether you like it or not.

x2

·
Registered
621 Posts

Ditto.[:#]

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I can see what they are trying to do - the centre section has similar lines to the current VW Audi front end, a la the passat, golf 5, etc.

The strakes at the side make it seem a bit too angular for me - the golf 4 has always tended to a rounder look.

If you can tidy the bonnet edge to remove the VW badge cutout that will help neaten the line a bit.

(Note guys - constructive criticsm!)

Plate, hm, how about a square one, offest like the mitsi evo range? Don't fancy stickers much.

·
Registered
621 Posts
sorry guys, cheers also ;-)
Don't be sorry mate, it's your motor, at the end of the day if you like it then nail (but threaded) what other people think. Yeah it's nice for people to say they like it etc... but everyones taste/opinions are different.

Carl

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Dont like this Bumper at all ,I personally think the R32 bumper is much better than this one.
I suspect Mokey did look at the R32 bumper but wanted something different. Now someone has pointed out the similarities to the current VW styling range I can see where he's headed with the look.

I wonder if anyone has produced some MK5 look side skirts - with a raised section toward the rear arch?? They might make it work better.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
not a bad bumper overall im just not a big fan of it on the golf. It would better suit a Bora to be honest because its more angular.

I think its the main grill section thats most distracting.Maybe if there was a grill to match the bumper it would suit more.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
like other members have said......... the bumper is too angular for the overall shape of the golf......looks a tad odd.....

but at least its different to the norm[:)]

·
Mokeylock
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanx for the constructive criticisms guys. Wanted to add i'm actually not sorry for making my car look like this, i'm sorry people had to see it on a golf cause i know how many of you love the same ol smooth look. Yeah, i am trying to go for something different and my plan doesn't stop here, by the time i'm done (fingers crossed) not much of the car will resemble the original golf. I dont know if you've noticed but i HATE vw dealerships and anything to do with vw apart from their machines, because of that i'm not much of a fan of sticking to original styling and i dont want my car to have any VW logos when i'm done. That might explain why i've done what i've done.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

If you love VWs and Golfs you would hate my car (i always say that to vw lovers) but if you love modifying you might see it through my eyes. Max power can pull off good things, so can people modifying on VW Forums (i,e. classic looks) but i'm not comparing myself to anyone, just me and my baby and what i've wanted to do to her before even knowing about VW Forums or Max Power. Some might call it a crime, some will say it's 'a must' either way it's differently the only one around ;-)<o:p></o:p>

·
Mokeylock
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I can see what they are trying to do - the centre section has similar lines to the current VW Audi front end, a la the passat, golf 5, etc.

The strakes at the side make it seem a bit too angular for me - the golf 4 has always tended to a rounder look.

If you can tidy the bonnet edge to remove the VW badge cutout that will help neaten the line a bit.

(Note guys - constructive criticsm!)

Plate, hm, how about a square one, offest like the mitsi evo range? Don't fancy stickers much.
yo shtu, thanx for the plate idea... for some reason i never thought of that ;-)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts