Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im having a mare trying to get my centre caps off my anni wheels...is there an after market tool u can buy? the plastic BBS one is rubbish! [8o|]

·
Registered
555 Posts
I HAD THAT PROBLEM,I PUT SOME BLUTAC AROUND EDGES OF THE BBS TOOL AND IT GRIPPED IT BETTER,AFTER I WAS FING AND BLINDING FOR HALF AN HOUR[8o|]

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi there,

I had trouble getting my caps off too. To the extent that I had mostly rounded off the corners of the plastic removal tool.

What happens is the plastic thread of the back of the caps siezes and gets stuck. My bro came up with the solution to get them off with NO BBS removal tool !!

You can give the caps a wack with a mallet (I know this sounds excessive but it works!). Once you give then a hit they pop a bit and you can just screw them off. What I use is a piece of rectangular softboard. I just place this on the outside of the cap and give it a whack with my fist. The cap just pops and screws off.

Give it a try and let me know if it works!

Freeglide :¬)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi miln01782

I got my hood cover from the US from 1stVWParts.com. I only paid $32 plus a small fee for P&P. They only ship to US addresses. I ordered 2 of them, one for my sister in laws Anni too. I got them shipped to the Washington office of my company and got one of the guys to bring it back over with him.

I think it looks quite cool and it seems to draw a LOT of attention. I have also got no end of slagging in work from people who just cannot understand what its for !! Idiots....

I just tell them its a 'Bra', my women wear bras so why shouldnt my Golf have one. That seems to shut them up! :¬)

Freeglide

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am selling an aftermarket tool at the moment that enables you to tighten the centre caps safely so they cannot be stolen. Check out the link [link removed - see forum rules re advertising] and let me know what you think.

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
[:(] Just tried to remove the centre cap on my 18" RCs...what am I going to do? I don't fancy whacking it, and the removal tool sounds like a POS so how can I remove it? Any advice much appreciated thanks

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
You can slacken them by gently tapping them anticlockwise with a block of wood and a hammer.

I had a custom BBS tool made from nylon plastic a couple of years ago using CAD. Looks like someone else has cashed in on the idea!

·
Registered
10 Posts
its been patented. It is a thousand times better than the old tool. Now you can tighten them so they cant get stolen without damaging your centre caps.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
For that price i'd be expecting something a little less 'raw'. There appears to be no accuracy to the star shape - it looks like it has been cut out by hand with a jigsaw and the bubbled plastic suggests it has been subject to a lot of heat! [:O]

Please do not post links to sale items within the main forums, we have the classifieds for that. Please read the forum rules re: advertising.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You are entitled to your opinion but i think this tool is excellent. The bbs tool is flawed and this spanner is a 1000 times better. The reason for the price is it is made from the same plastic that riot shields are constructed from. I would rather pay ?19.99 for a tool that does the job and can prevent my centre caps from being stolen than ?16.50 from the dealers for a piece of crap that flexes and rounds off. alex[:D]

·
Registered
188 Posts
Im having a mare trying to get my centre caps off my anni wheels...is there an after market tool u can buy? the plastic BBS one is rubbish! [8o|]
I had the same problem with the BBS tool but just put some masking tape on it for extra grip! it worked an absolute treat [<:eek:)]

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
when i had my RC's, i found the best tool to use on them to tighten up the centrecap, as well as untighten it was a strap wrench used for removing oil filters . it's made of plastic, so won't scrath the rim, and the strap itself is a piece of cambelt so it's plenty up to the job, and all you do is tighten it up on the cam, push, or pull on the handle and off it comes! simple! i think they do a two piece, (small, and large strap wrench), for ?9.99 at good old Halfrauds

1 - 20 of 42 Posts