Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just posting to see what you guys think of these. I am talking to the US supplier exploring a possible deal for UK MKIVs members - if you like them. They are not available in the UK, which I quite like.

Essentially its a fake BBS LM, but the best I have seen and a pretty good quality wheel in its own right. Its made by a company called ALT wheels.

Details

Brand: ALT

Model: AT279

Quality: Midrange - Better than a TSW, but not a BBS

Weight: 10.8KG per 18x8 wheel (is this good or bad?)

Pictures

These are ALT wheels with fake centre caps. I wouldn't do that myself, but as you can see the quality looks pretty damn good.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Costs

BBS LMs in 18" will cost you, roughly, ?468 per wheel in the UK - plus tyres. So with some good tyres you are looking at ?2,300 easy. For me thats just not worth it, but I like the look. For these you would be looking at:

?695 including UPS shipping from the US for the wheels 18x8

?420 for tyres (buy locally)

?100 taxes (based on 17.5% of wheel value)

?1215

Is this somthing anyone would be interested in? Post your thoughts please [;)]

·
Registered
194 Posts
As far as I know, the LM is supposed to have very poor caliper clearance, so keep it in mind if you have Brembo's or are planning on going that route.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Be vaery careful with the import duties, it is not always a straight 17.5 tax, most of the time you pay duty (which can be anything between 2-80%) AND the tax at 17.5. Call the Customs and Excise and they will give you a guide on what to pay on alloy wheels. UPS will also charge you a fee for doing the inport duty.

I know nothing about wheels, but they look nice to me.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sir Blades: I have pretty much gone off them because after shipping they are closing in on BBS CH money...but I have posted them up to spread knowledge. Peopl always assume my psots are about purchases, most of them are just to share info...

I will say though there is no way Id spend ?2,500 on the real thing for a car like this. If I drove a Porsche GT2 or a Ferrari then maybe, but a Volkswagen? NEVER! Unless they were on german Ebay for ?1k that is.

Sem: As I say, the badges are not compulsary.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've been looking into this for a while and have found a supplier in Germany which will do a set of replica lm's which are actually approved by bbs, including budget tyres in 18 x 8 with 225/40/18 including postage for around the ?770 mark if anyones interested. Might even be able to do some kind of group buy as they do loads of different wheels, possibly take over a van or something if it's cheaper and theres enough people??

Food for thought.....

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Matt, thats considerably cheaper mate and thus completely negates any reason to get these US ones! Can you give us more info on these? Pictures, supplier etc? Thats ?500 cheaper

·
Registered
157 Posts
i can email pics to someone who wouldn't mind hosting them? the wheels are actually stamped "licenced by bbs" so they won't be rubbish quality and at the cost of a van hire and ferry crossing, lots to be saved on the postage!!!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Here are a few pics of the wheels, cheers for Mike for hosting them. Not quite the same as the bbs but along the same lines. I think they are around 600 Euro for 4 x 8 x 18 wheels and 400 Euro for the budget tyres.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Opinions?

·
Registered
740 Posts
This thread needs to rise from the dead.... come on guys we're talking about cheap LM's here [;)]

OK, ALT Wheels makes the wheel as seen in Mikedev's first post on this thread, but there's also a company called Rennsport Dynamics Ltd who are selling "BBS LM Style Aluminum Rims 18x8.5" for US$570 on eBay. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7914459349)

Between one of these two sources we should try to organise a group buy.

I've been looking into getting real LM's, and it'd be great, but knowing me I'd NEVER use them outside a show; too scared of damaging/kerbing them in the real world or some idiot nicking 'em!

Replica's would make a good alternative; esp at these prices

·
Registered
214 Posts
Quote: posted by Thos on 02/04/2004 10:56:29

As far as I know, the LM is supposed to have very poor caliper clearance, so keep it in mind if you have Brembo's or are planning on going that route.

Yeah, this is the case as I found out.....[:(]

I bought a set of 19" (Chromed) from Germany for my TT but due to having a 996 brake kit fitted the buggers don't fit due to clearance.... well slightly intoxicated off. Still sitting in their boxes in the loft.

The wife was trying her best to get me to fit them onto her Golf. [:O]

Not a chance....[:D]

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
bbs lms will not clear 4 pot calipers i know dani at rsd spent 3 day trying to get brembos on to my bbs lm wearing ttr am not sure they will fit over the r32 caliper so look out if you have or want these calipers you cannot have lms [:(]how ever the problem is they are a 25 off set so when you space them out to clear the caliper the wheel is out side the arch if these wheels are a different off set say 35 you may getaway with it

·
Registered
279 Posts
I really like the look of these wheels that you have on show here.

Whats the offset that these wheels come in?

If they come in a 35 offset then I am very intrested.

Cheers

Keith

1 - 19 of 19 Posts