I have just spoken to my Brother, who lives in Germany (not far from
Wolfsburg!), and he has spoken to BBS Germany for me, who confirmed
they no longer machine the CH to fit the Golf, and as before, only
supply them for the TT now.

So where does that leave us? Well for starters im no longer selling my
18" CH rims (probably a smart idea as 19" tyre prices are stupid!), but
this will now have a knock on effect for alot of us. These are possible
effects that I have thought of:

1. Already have Ch's? Its going to be very difficult obtaining a new Rim if you smack one and damage it.

2. The talk of BBS Ch's becoming common will certainly change, as the
majority of people wont purchase them anymore (except the diehard
people who will be prepared to modify thier arches).

3. The second hand values whould hold nicley on those who were lucky
enough to have a machined set from the UK's initial batches.

What I find interesting is that 2 threads (Foxys BBS Group Buy, and
"Where to get Cheap BBS Wheels"), are still promoting the sell and
supply of CH's. Indeed one of the threads shows at least 2 forum
members who have placed an order for BBS CHs recently at Halfords. Were
they told this information or were they lucky enough to get some of the
last sets in the UK?

Can anyone confirm this, or have I just been told a load of rubbish
from Halfords, Motor Sport Wheels and BBS Germany? The chances of 3
companies, including the manufactuer getting the facts wrong, I fear
are very slim.

Im just glad I already have them in 18'', as they are a damn good looking wheel.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hi Mate......

Think you may have just ruined my day...[:(]...I placed my order for my 19" CH`s nearly two weeks ago now......got told by Halfords that the reason for the delay was that they were awaiting a delivery at motorsport wheels...so this would slow things up a little.....There was no mention of the possible 4 week wait......My main concern though is when I finally do get them they will not fit correctly.....I was always under the impression an ET30 offset rim would fit the golf without arch mods....just sitting level with the arch both at the front and the rear??????? Maybe this why Martyn had probs with his R32 rubbing????? He only got his set about a month ago?????

I never knew that BBS machined the offset of a standard wheel just to fit the MK4.....just that an ET30 would go on...but only just??

If you are right.....and I think you more than likely are.....i`m either the luckiest person out there with one of the last sets of machined CH`s on there way to me....or i`m in the you know what....[:mad:][:mad:][:mad:]

Can anyone else please shed any light this matter......I`m in great need of some answers fast.......

Nick

·
Registered
305 Posts
any decent engineering workshop could machine your rims down for you - would be quite easy (without tyres fitted to set them up on a milling machine - clock the face in square and mill 5mm off for you.

I wouldn't recommend turning them down on a lathe - they'd need special fixtures to hold them in the lathe chuck square, without bending and buckling the wheels.

you'll probs invalidate your warranty but if you want the nice wheels to fit properly you can do it!

you're probably looking at around ?20 an hour labour and I'd say 2-3 hours max.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Cheers Lee...maybe not all is lost then......as said above I didn`t realise BBS had done this mod for the MK4 market.....just thought everyone fitted a "Standard ET30" rim due to the fact a ET35 has never been available....Didn`t think for one second they would do the retro fit sort of thing......I can`t be the only one that didn`t know this??????????????

Nick

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I bought my 18 CHs from Halfrauds not 8 weeks ago. Was never informed they were the incorrect offset although i was told what the offset was. I had a slight delay for the wheels but not for stock reasons.

To be honest et30 may be wrong for the mkivs but i does elliminate the need for spacers. I have a small rubbing issue on full lock but due to the inner arch cover now being worn away the rubbibg has now stopped.

Although they are a nice fit in 18s i can see the 19s being a totally different issue. Also take a look at this thread for more rubbing queries http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/236393/ShowPost.aspx

Can anyone tell me if BBS CHs ever came with an et35 offset?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think you may have been luck Zeke, from the way the guy at Motor Sport Wheels was talking, it sounded like a recent change. I think you may have got some of the last UK machined stock as your purchase was 2 months ago!

·
No more Mods....Yeah right !
1,444 Posts
Thats interesting --- I bought a 5th BBS CH (and stuck my kerbed one in the boot as a spare) --- and it took an absolute age to get the thing delivered from Motorsport due to a supply issue. Ordered on 17th May and finally got it delivered about 4 weeks later.

Looks like that kerbed alloy was not such a bad thing after all.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I always thought machining wheels was a bit dodgy, after all just 1-2 mm difference in diameter on an anti-roll bar is enough to significantly change its stiffness, imagine the stresses wheels must withstand, and then to shave off 5 mm from under the bolt head? That must change the distribution of force around the lug hole quite drastically [:S] Any mech. engineers on here confirm that?

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
AAARRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!

I was just going to buy a set this weekend! It was a toss up between
these and Rials, but due to quality issues I went BBS, so can someone
confirm will the et 35's fit, though with possible rubbing issues (in
18 of course)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hey Zeke......

Well mate....think trouble is brewing my end....after you started....then I seconded..... "Getting BBS`s Cheap" Halfrauds seem to be on there way to letting the side down.....(for me anyhow [:(] )

Been waiting for my wheels now for 2 weeks....was told last Tues that "Motorsport Wheels" didn`t have any stock of a CH in 8.5x19" with an ET30 offset.....they were expecting them on the Thurs though......

I called H/Fords this morning they said I should have them Wed/Thurs this week..........(Nice one I thought)........Then I read the above post....and as you can amagine was a bit gutted at what I read????????

Now then....here is the update........I went down to see the guy at the store.....he then rang M/wheels for me......and he confirmed my wheels have been sent out....so as stated I should have them this week..........

Whilst he was on the phone I mentioned to him about the post on here.....M/Wheels confirmed they have 19" CH `s in stock in a Mk4 fit.....There has never been an ET35 in the CH rim......so people are advised to use the Audi TT offfset (ET30)....wheel....however are told that they will sit flush with the arches both at the front and rear but DO NOT require arch mods......

My wheels that are on the way are def 100% marked up as Golf Mk4 Fit......now it seems one or two things could happen when they finally turn up..........

1...They fit a treat with no probs....(as they should...and as loads of other peoples have)

2...or they stick out too far and rub like hell when driving....(as Martyns did????????)

I still can`t understand how/why nobody has ever realised/noticed the machining issue before......if BBS do actually machine down an Audi TT rim with an ET30 offset to fit a MK4 golf...then surely its no longer an ET30 wheel???????? (It would then be listed by them as the correct ET35 offset) [*-)][*-)]

Does anyone know if this rumour that CH production is coming to an end is def true???????

Somebody..... please..... please...... please shed some light on this massive confusion......

Nick

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
The CH's have only ever been available in ET30 for MKIV fitment (8.5X18"), i have a friend who is the manager at a MSWUK branch and i got Sem a deal on some 18's last April for his old Golf, even then they were only available in ET30 when, presumably, there was ample stock in the country

The ET30's do sit flush with the outside edge of the arch (maybe proud by a few mm if that), but certainly not a safety/ rubbing problem and they sit no further than my 17's with 15mm spacers fitted [:)]

I'm sure Sem will be able to put your mind at rest if he see's this thread or if you PM him, his Golf looked the absolute nuts with the CH's imo....

I'll try and see my mate tomorrow and get proper confirmation on stock levels etc and report back.....

HTH, Steve [:D]

·
Registered
398 Posts
Nice one Steve.......a man that has some answers......

Yeah any other info from your mate would be wicked.........need confirmation on current stock levels of 8.5x19" (mine may even turn up tomorrow).....also if he knows anything about the so called "Machining" BBS do to the CH for the MK4 [*-)].......and if he knows if BBS are gonna discontinue the CH rim in the future???????

Fingers Crossed mate......(still convinced we are 100% correct...and have been all along [*-)] )

Nick

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
The CH's have only ever been available in ET30 for MKIV fitment (8.5X18"), i have a friend who is the manager at a MSWUK branch and i got Sem a deal on some 18's last April for his old Golf, even then they were only available in ET30 when, presumably, there was ample stock in the country

The ET30's do sit flush with the outside edge of the arch (maybe proud by a few mm if that), but certainly not a safety/ rubbing problem and they sit no further than my 17's with 15mm spacers fitted [:)]

I'm sure Sem will be able to put your mind at rest if he see's this thread or if you PM him, his Golf looked the absolute nuts with the CH's imo....

I'll try and see my mate tomorrow and get proper confirmation on stock levels etc and report back.....

HTH, Steve [:D]
Yep, absolutely correct. I really don't know what all this fuss is about [:p]

CH has only ever been available in ET30 and they fill the arches perfectly - saves you buying spacers.

Yes, you can machine them down to ET35 but what's the point? they would just look lost under those massive arches!

pics, not the best but you get the idea:

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
398 Posts
j11ajs.....cheers buddy for that.....[:)]

Sem....cheers mate....this is exactely what i`m trying to get to the bottom of.......someone has got some duff info from somewhere......causing me to question myself.....[*-)]

Loved your old car.........was my inspiration.....mike (umrelt) owns it now yeah?...I also live in Bournemouth so see it around a fair bit.........[H]

cheers again guys...

Nick

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Yes, 19" ET30 will be fine.  MIK VW, henrytse, Martyn and RS Golf have had them fitted with no problems AFAIK.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
How much are halfords selling the 19" CH for ATM? Everyone keeps saying they have a good deal on with alloys?
Halfords regularly do a 20% sale with 6 months interest free credit on alloys wheels. And if your really crafty like me you can talk then into another 20% off.

Saving wise you could be looking at between ?200 and ?600 [:D]

1 - 20 of 34 Posts