Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Why the "oh dear"? I can't see the problem apart from advertising them as Anni wheels.
This may spell the end of the "Exclusive" look the Ch's have, because up until now.....there was NOTHING like them on the market, and now there is an "affordable" version......you will see them on chav cars everywhere! [:'(]

·
Registered
175 Posts
So what if someone wants to market replicas, I don't see anyone complain about replica Santas in fact most people seem to be keen to save money by buying them, The replica CHs are not exact so clearly anyone can tell they are replicas has the Snob/insecurity factor on this forum been let loose again, some people may not have or want to spend the money on genuine  CHs but still wish to achieve a similar look. I have genuine CHs but that's my choice if someone is happy with replicas and the cost savings that are associated good on them

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
So what if someone wants to market replicas, I don't see anyone complain about replica Santas in fact most people seem to be keen to save money by buying them, The replica CHs are not exact so clearly anyone can tell they are replicas has the Snob/insecurity factor on this forum been let loose again, some people may not have or want to spend the money on genuine CHs but still wish to achieve a similar look. I have genuine CHs but that's my choice if someone is happy with replicas and the cost savings that are associated good on them
Exactly my thoughts. They look decent enough quality in the picture. How many people on here are driving round with RS4 Replicas? Quite a lot by my reckoning. Just think how chuffed the "genuine" RS4 drivers felt when they started seeing their wheels on a common car like a Golf (and let's face it, it's one of the most popular choices of wheel for a Golf). I've not heard anyone complaining about people driving round with LM style wheels (eg. Rial Daytona Race - they're fairly similar to LM's), R32 Replica Wheels (another that's gaining in popularity) or RS6 replicas.

Not everyone can afford BBS. Yes I understand they are the daddy, are probably better made and have the badge that most people approve of and I'd probably go for the genuine ones, but just because there are replicas it doesn't mean they are going to appear on chav's cars. How would some of you lot like to be thought of as a "Chav" by the RS4 owners just because you have replica wheels?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Yeah, I agree with TIW30 and Golfgirlf too, ok they are copies, but from the picture they look ok - cant tell the quality from a picture though. But the thing is the look is the same, and not everyone can afford genuine BBS, so if you have genuine BBS, then you still have exclusivity, and you know you have a really good quality made wheel sticking you to the road.

And those that know will be able to see the difference anyway.

And echoing Golfgirls comments - its not like nobody on here has reps of something on too.

It seems having anything that costs under a grand gets branded chav these days.....

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
This may spell the end of the "Exclusive" look the Ch's have, because up until now.....there was NOTHING like them on the market, and now there is an "affordable" version......you will see them on chav cars everywhere! [:'(]
I'd never disrespect anyone for not being able to afford something. Ignoring exclusivity issues though, what would concern me most is quality. Original wheels will have had very large sums of money invested in research, development and testing to ensure they are of top quality, and also have the right technical approvals. If a copy has known origins and can also boast those approvals, great. I worked and saved hard to buy my original wheels and if their quality is better than a replica (as I would expect for the money) and that saves myself or someone else getting killed or injured then it's money well spent in my opinion. Safety was a higher priority than looks when I chose my wheels.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I'd love a set of BBS rims but they are just too expensive, I spent near 1k on my RS4 Reps when they first came out, now they are vry common but I am happy with them, no way that I could have afforded the real deal!!

At the end of the day with any product people will always try and make a cheaper version, it is flattering to have your product copied but on the other side of the coin you loose your exclusive look!!

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Replicas are ok, I don't have a problem with them (owned RS4 and RS6 reps in the past) but the 'Racing Sport' lettering on these CH copies is just down right cheap and sad IMO.

Wheel would be fine without the lettering though.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Whilst were on the subject, could someone reccomend a decent refurb place in Kent/ Essex/ Sussex (down south, you get the idea!)

IMO theres nothing wrong with replicas. Its down to personal choice. If someone wants to spend more on wheels and get the genuine ones then fair play. If it makes them feel better and they can afford it, why not.

Replicas are there for people that dont care quite as much or dont have enough cash to buy the genuine ones, I think its good that they have the option of copying those people with more money. At the end of the day people are always gonna feel better knowing they have genuine wheels even if they have been copied.

I have just bought Genuine Audi wheels over Reps, but then thats my choice. (& they were cheap!)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.