Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right need some advise .....

About a month ago i was doing the re-set ecu thingie , ie switch ingnition on for 5 mins and then start car , but i got distracted and was on for a good 20+ mins and ya guessed it my battery was dead so was pushed started

cheers peeps ya know who ya are .....[:D]

anyway since then its died a couple fo times ie left interor light on over the weekend , dont ask why i didnt notice it , anyway got it started and had to drive about 200 miles it seemed ok ....

today was in garage havin balancing and tracking done and went to start it and ya guessed it it was dead so got it started got home and thought i would take it off and give it a good charge up

now my question is , it appears to be a sealed battery but has a breather cell ie one thats not sealed , i unsrewed that and looked inside , now it looks low

can this be topped up ?

or

am i best leaving it as it is ?

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
How old is the battery ?

They only last about 5 years.

Also hot weather kills them believe it or not, more so than the cold.

Probably time to buy a new one I'd say if it's 5+ years old, can't remember how old your car is ? Think it's an 02 ???

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cheers for that guys .....[:D]

so not worth wasting time on mine then

il get a new battery next week then as it sounds like mines on its last legs [:(]

·
Registered
569 Posts
Get a new battery . Just got one for my 4Mo ?52 .. Five year warranty ...... it wil almost Defo be your battery , and if you don't get a new one it will put more stress on your alternator , and the rectifier could fail .

When you put a flat battery on charge it should read a high ampage ( 2 to 4 amps ) and gradualy get lower as it charges .... if you have no amps going through the battery it is Knackerd .......... Get A New One :)

An old battery will somtimes power lights , wipers etc ... cos these are powered more from the VOLTS of the battery ............ BUT to have the Power to turn the engine over and start the engine , you need AMPS !! ...... NEW BATTERY :)

CHEERS .

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I got a Varta from my local autofactors for ?40. It replaced the faulty moura (or simular) that was only on the car for a month !. Make sure you get a good named one, and keep the receipt.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
the varta website lists the battery for your model and also your local
wholesaler.... it is the way to go Fiama wanted ?190 for a new battery
for my old mans ferrari varta wanted ?50....

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Batteries are meant to be changed every 3 years, but depending on how you treat them they will last longer, mines the origional battery 6 years old and no problems with it but it will get changed just before winter hits.

Ive had good experiances with Banner batteries. Heavy duty , they put them on Chryslers and Mercs i think . but v.good and cheap!

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When you put a flat battery on charge it should read a high ampage ( 2 to 4 amps ) and gradualy get lower as it charges .... if you have no amps going through the battery it is Knackerd .......... Get A New One :)
when i put it on charge it hardly moved the needle it my read out say

0 1-2 low 3-4 med - 5-6 high

it showed about 1

seemed ok for a couple of days ie journey so far since i put on charge

put battery on sunday morning drove to ipswich 56 miles total drove,

left parked for about 3 hours

was ok when stating but a little slow on turn over then drove home 56 miles seemed ok

monday morning didnt turn car over as fast when starting but started drove to work 15 miles

sat for 9 hours started ok drove home 15 miles

went round to shop to get new battery , but got them to test battery

THEY SAID IT WAS OK WHEN THEY TESTED IT ??????????

so didnt buy new battery

went home 2miles

left standing for 4 hours ....started car but .turned car over very slow

drove 3 miles parked up for 15 mins

started car no probs turned over fine

car now sitting out side

seems strange as they said battery was ok as they could of just said yer ya need a new one

now thinking i should of just bought one ......

what do you think ???????

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
If in doubt then change it! Sounds like your battery is charging but best to check its charge rate. How old you say your battery is? Is it the proper rating for car etc....

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yer its chargeing ok ,

but i think it may be past it now ie 6 years old

its the orginal battery fitted to the car

·
Registered
569 Posts
Get a new one ! The hotter the weather the better the battery will perform , when this heat wave is over you will have probs . If it is slow turning over it will be the battery and as soon as the cooler weather arrives it will fail suddenly . It will gradually lose it's ability to charge .. like i said a good battery when flat should take more AMPS through it . You might think it is OK cos all electrics work , but these are run on Volts ... you need AMPS to turn the engine over .

Sealed batteries should NEVER be topped up , even if you can get the top off .. some new batteries now soak up all the acid so you don't actually see a level . The one i have fitted at the mo is sealed and has a clear veiw point on top which changes colour ( Green / Amber / Red ) determining the condition of the battery . It also puts out more AMPS than the standard battery .. turns the engine over easily , but sill has the same charge rate .

Cheers .

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
No battery has ever lasted me more than 3.5 to 4 yrs and dont give much warning, probably because i do a high mileage maybe. One sign is that they can get hot when they are failing after a run.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
One sign is that they can get hot when they are failing after a run.
Hot .....i could of cooked an egg on it .....

il be getting one on the way home today .....

the only reason i didnt buy one yestarday was the bloke in the shop said mine was ok ....

looks like he was wrong

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
If it is a genuine battery, if you look on top of one of the terminals it will tell you which number week it was built and the year....

·
Registered
227 Posts
Sounds exactly like the problems i was having with mine!!

Just picked a Bosch one up from Euro car parts ?40. Sound as a pound now :)

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
got a new battery today ....

was passing past where i use to live

so went to my mates car Accessory shop and picked up an Exide Battery

Cars now starting better than ever [:D]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts