Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to stay living at home for a few more years, so Im gonna re-decoreate and re-vamp my room.

Step 1 of improving the AV set up is adding a few speakers to my TV.
I've got 4 Sony speakers from a hi-fi that are doing nothing - Two are
the big standard big ones and the other two are 'surround sound' ones
that I could never be bothered to get working - Should they be
compatible with my TV?

Im sure Im gonna end up asking loads of Qs on this subject, so apologies in advance!

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
What TV have you got and what are you aiming to achieve, just improve on the quality or actually get some proper surround?

Have a look at some all-in-one A/V packages which include DVD player, usually integrated with surround decoder and amplifier and speakers. Sony's DAV range based on cool-running and low-distortion S-Master full digital amplification has good reviews for price/performance if you don't want to go nuts spending loads on separates (which will give better performance but modern all-in-one systems are getting good enough to be sufficient for most people, so long as you steer clear of the bargain basement stuff).

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got a Sony 28" widescreen thing - I just thought that the speakers
I already have might just connect straight up and offer something
slightly better to begin with?

The only connections I can see on the TV are the Red, Yellow &
Whits ones in the little flap (I put my PS2 in them), the headphone
socket, then there's a red one and a white one at the back that look
lonely!

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
The fronts are standard audio and composite inputs (get an RGB SCART cable for the PS2, world of difference in picture quality - but check which of the SCART(s) are RGB capable).

Those at the rear will be line level audio outputs, not nearly enough to drive loudspeakers, you need amplification. This is where it gets tricky because the TV will "only" output straight stereo. If that's all you want, fine.

Also, on Sony TVs you tend to have to disable the internal speakers before anything will come out of the line outputs.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
as shiuming wrote you'd be better off going for one fo the all-in-one setups available at the mo. he's right in that sony are great bang for buck in that arena.

you'll be able to get full dolby digital, and maybe even DTS decoding (although its personal preference as to which is better, to have the option is nice)

what are you looking to spend?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks shiuming & nick for the replies!

Im not really sure on budget - Im getting cheeky now, but any chance of some links?

Im not out to break the bank, but it really depends on what Id get for my money ...

·
Registered
829 Posts
I've installed both the Denon DHT 500SD and DHT550SD at mate's places - the 550 is definite worth the extra ?? but the 500 is none too shabby for a system of it's type.

I'd recommend either one depending on budget.

Allan

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
I'd go for an AV amp for ultimate control and room for future expansion.

It'll provide for inputs from your DVD / CD / VCR / Playstation / MD or Cassestte deck / I-Pod and or PC or Laptop.

They also provide for switching the video signal and sound signal at the same time if you wire them up correctly. The TV screen output is switched by the amp.

As for DVD sound input, I favour a digital input to the amp rather than analogue but not the optical type, use the single phono type (get a high quality cable though) as it needs less de-coding by the amp.

If you have a PC with a surround sound card as well, games will come alive.

Using an AV amp also means you can use more or less any speakers.

Richer Sounds always have deals going on.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
well that would be ultimate solution but he sounded like he was on a budget.

A full separates system would be better but that can get pricey...

My marantz A/V receiver was ?200 (and that was reduced cos it was end of the line)

my speakers cost about ?500 (and 4 out of 6 were second hand off ebay)

my dvd player was ?200

and my cables are worth about ?100

thats why he may not be looking at that solution

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
If i was you I'd spend my money on a serious AV amp like a Yamaha one
that I have which cost about ?600 and buy a set of 5.1 speakers for
now. Then you can add bits later on like a good dvd player, DVD
recorder, MD platyr etc etc...

Sonny

·
Registered
894 Posts
If i was you I'd spend my money on a serious AV amp like a Yamaha one that I have which cost about ?600 and buy a set of 5.1 speakers for now. Then you can add bits later on like a good dvd player, DVD recorder, MD platyr etc etc...

Sonny
TBH I get the impression that this is just for a bedroom setup and seperates would be a bit overkill, stick to the Denon stuff I recommended earlier.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
i started out with separates but fairly cheaply and only with stereo sound orignally

i had ?100 kenwood receiver, and ?100 pair of Tannoy speakers

that was when i was 18, this year turned 22 and went for a marantz amp and completed the set of tannoy speakers

but if you want 5.1 from the very start and it is only in your bedroom then definately stick with an all in one for a few years first, i wished they'd been such a big thing when i started out

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
well after an exhaustive search for the manual...which got me nowhere

all i can say for definate is that the sony website says it has 1 audio input, now as this thing has DVD/CD/Tuner all built in then i would say yes you can probably hook your ipod up. basically its got one auxiliary source, which you can use for whatever you like

1 - 19 of 19 Posts