Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a set of 15" steels to get banded, does anyone know how much I can have them widened by so I'm just clear inside the wheel arch?

·
Fast or low and slow, that is the question.
4,607 Posts
15" on a mk4??

I think most of the time they are widened to 8j fronts and 9j rears for the staggered look, however is depends on what the et is on the wheels before hand.

·
Super Moderator
50,234 Posts
Banded steels wer banned from public road use some years back for VERY good reasons.Most were made by people who didn't give a damn about the quality and had very poor quality welding meaning they leaked and had to be undersealed on the inside of the rim across the join to help to hold air for more than a day at a time
Most of them didn't use full thickness welds so could (and did) split in half if you hit the kerb too hard.Is it really worth the risk just to keep up with a five minute styling fad?

Chris.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
15s on a Mk4 is a massive fail you wont be able to pull the wheels of as you would never be able to get your ride height and you would be constantly killing sumps,sills and subframes and you would still have a massive arch gap. Bear in mind a lot of mk2 golfs that have banded steels run 15s.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts