Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just bought a 02 gttdi 150 ,it does'nt have any badge at the back and was wondering which it should have and where i could get it thanks (heard somewhere gttdi 150 where badged gti)

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
You dont need badges!!! Messy... but if you must then go to stealers. They should be able to tell you the correct badge for your car based on your chassis number.[:D]

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've got a 150 pd also and mine came with GTI. Have heard though that it's luck of the draw which badge they put on it when it leaves the factory.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The correct badge is GTI with a red I, Dont badge it GT Tdi whatever you do. Looks really tacky [V]

Part no is 1J0853675AH GQF

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
No, its NOT a GTI.....GT'I' is a reference to a PETROL INJECTION engine!

To badge it as a GTI would just say you are a GTI wannabie, dont do it.....dont be ashamed to admit its a diesel, and a quick one at that.

Dealers sometimes badge these cars as GTI's in an effort to sell more and fool the customer into thinking they are a full diesel GTI. At the best it would be a GT TDI, but not a GTI!!! ITS PETROL!

Its not a GTI, and it would be as incorrect as me badging my 1.8T a TDI.

It should be a fully red 'TDI', or if you were insistant on it being a GT spec, then badge it "GT TDI".

·
Registered
798 Posts
Quote: posted by EstorilBlue on 24/11/2004 11:22:28

No, its NOT a GTI.....GT'I' is a reference to a PETROL INJECTION engine!

To badge it as a GTI would just say you are a GTI wannabie, dont do it.....dont be ashamed to admit its a diesel, and a quick one at that.

Dealers sometimes badge these cars as GTI's in an effort to sell more and fool the customer into thinking they are a full diesel GTI. At the best it would be a GT TDI, but not a GTI!!! ITS PETROL!

Its not a GTI, and it would be as incorrect as me badging my 1.8T a TDI.

It should be a fully red 'TDI', or if you were insistant on it being a GT spec, then badge it "GT TDI".

150pd can come badged as

GTI

TDI

GTI , neither is incorrect badging

1.8T can come badged as GTI too, comments about gti wannabe are totally unfounded, the diesel is the quicker car.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Tis' true that some cars are differently badged. My 1.8T was badged GTI but my mate Viperpsych's 1.8T was badged just a GTI (no red)

Pot luck. Easier just to take them off and keep 'em guessing i say!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
My 1.8T is a GTI. You cannot buy a 1.8T that isnt a GTI, regardless of what the rear badge says, they are all GTI's.

Just face the facts: The Original GTI reffered to a PETROL INJECTION engine. VW have NEVER released a diesel GTI. Im not questioning that it has a GT spec, but it doesnt have a petrol engine, therefore cannot be badged a GTI. If anything the best it could be is a GT TDI, which I think suits the model perfectly.

If anything its VW's fault for making the badging so variable, but if you really think about what I am saying, and what the GTI name stood for when it was first made, then you know that you can never truly have a Diesel GTI. FACT.

As for the GTI "wannabe" comments, if the DIESEL GTI doesnt exsist, badging it as a GTI is making it something its not. Hence Wannabe.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Just got off the phone with VW's Uk marketing department, claiming to be doing a University essay (always works),and asked them the question:

"Have VW ever released a Diesel GTI?"

"No, its a petrol engine only".

Fact.

For Ref: I spoke to Martin Houser.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The brochure states the model as being 'GTI' with a 2.0petrol and

1.9 diesel 130pd, and also the '150 GTI' being 1.8t and 1.9 diesel 150pd.

150pds were badged TDI all red on the continent and uk dealers

were supposed to change it to GTI red I. some dont bother that is

why you see different badges.

Its the same with the 2.0 or GTI (silver I) badges you see

on the 2.0 petrol model. 2.0 on continent and GTI in the uk.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Quote: posted by EstorilBlue on 24/11/2004 12:03:28

Just got off the phone with VW's Uk marketing department, claiming to be doing a University essay (always works),and asked them the question:

"

Have VW ever released a Diesel GTI?"

Fact.

Do you believe everything that your VW dealer tells you too ? People

that work in vw customer services are muppets that know nothing about

cars.

I wouldn't get too hung up the 'GTI' dream, the 1.8T is a slug

in standard guise and is barely deserving of GTI badge anyway

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Quote: posted by spencert on 24/11/2004 12:18:09

Quote: posted by EstorilBlue on 24/11/2004 12:03:28

"

Have VW ever released a Diesel GTI?"

Fact.

I wouldn't get too hung up the 'GTI' dream, the 1.8T is a slug

in standard guise and is barely deserving of GTI badge anyway

HARSH!

It was quick for its day back in 2000. It will out run most standard things on the road.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Lets sort this one out! REF: EVO Mag issue 48/49 or something where they were reviewing the 150 GTTDi PD. I remember reading that VW decided to rebadge this as GTi because it was indeed every bit a GTi albeit it is diesel. Its still as quick and has identical spec, has more torque etc and also they made 2 versions of the GTi Anniversary remember - the petrol and diesel verisons and they were both badged GTi.........

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
The anni is a perfect example that they did do a diesel GTI

my local stealers was trying to sell me a 150pd GTI when i was buying the astra

was full GTI spec and had a GT(red)I on the rear

·
Registered
164 Posts
Mine came badged GTi (Red I) with no Golf badge to the back left! I've put one of those american spec 20th anniversary GTI badges on with the rabbit coz I figured it looked different! Also fited an anniversary roof spoiler coz it looks much better than the standard votex spoiler that VW charge a fortune to fit and spray! Where abouts you from in Norn Iron dood? Probably passed you in my travels as well as many others on here! Make it a policy to flash next time you see a fellow member!

·
Registered
26 Posts
How come all Anniversaries were badged GTI whether petrol or diesel? The only way to tell the difference is to look at the exhaust- 90mm tailpipe is petrol, hidden pipes with no valance cutout- diesel.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Go for an all red TDI badge.

I am sure i saw a different font available from the VW Vortex boys that looks cool.......not tacky or crappy.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts