Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has a MK4 150 bhp turdo desiel. Can you explain the badge colour shceme.

The badge he has the TDI as follows

T in Silver & the D & I in RED.

Can anyone explin waht this means and the differences ???

Heres hoping

Glyn

·
Super Moderator
3,497 Posts
There is no accurate explanation.

When the cars arrived at the dealers they often came without any badges on. The dealers had loose badges and stuck them on however they wanted. Having said that there does seem to be some consistency in what was slapped on and I'm sure some the oil burning members will be along soon to tell you what it is. But you still can't go on what the badge says.

·
Registered
881 Posts
The badges don't really mean anything mate, i know a few people with 1.8T's for instance, mine has GTI (all silver) one has 1.8T (1.8 is silver, T is red) And the other one has nothing, just says GOLF on the left with no GTI or anything! yet all 3 are 2000 (X-reg) 1.8T's!

As said above the dealer's just put whatever badges they had at the time!

·
Registered
530 Posts
you've just opened a can of worms. lol

This topic has been discussed a lot and as dibs350 wrote the dealers just put whatever badges they have, onto the car.

Noel

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
You know those fridge magnet letters you can get so that kids can make words on the fridge out of them. Well the dealers never grew up and treat the rear of mkivs like a fridge. Anything goes.

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
We're not really having this thread again are we?? [:O]

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
That's what I thought, and what I've said before. Please, please, please someone put this as a sticky at the top of the car buying section.

There may be a chance then that people see it as they don't seem to be searching for the info.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
FFS LOCK THIS CRAP.

A 150bhp was the only car that never officially had it's badge changed through the 3 phases of the MK4. Same as the Sharan 150bhp badge.

ALL RED T, D AND I - your friend may have a 150 but the badge is from various engines ranging from 100 - 130 depending on the year.

/end thread.

Baz

·
Super Moderator
3,497 Posts
FFS LOCK THIS CRAP.

A 150bhp was the only car that never officially had it's badge changed through the 3 phases of the MK4. Same as the Sharan 150bhp badge.

ALL RED T, D AND I - your friend may have a 150 but the badge is from various engines ranging from 100 - 130 depending on the year.

/end thread.

Baz
Did you mean to say "Welcome to the forum, new member with only 3 posts. Try the search facility, it's really rather good."?[:p]

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
FFS LOCK THIS CRAP.

/end thread.

Baz
Did you mean to say "Welcome to the forum, new member with only 3 posts. Try the search facility, it's really rather good."?[:p]
LOL

something like that. But the comment wasn't really aimed at the OP. It was more aimed at the long list of clueless replys I was expecting to follow of people guessing what the badges are.

Baz

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
only ones with 3 wheels, one of which had to be a ronal teddy bear, and they also have a 25 spoke steering wheel with a spinning center, and a blue arm rest which folded only back the way. They also had 17bhp and the O on the old was red and the I in GIT was yellow, Reverse gear was 3rd as a special feature and the 3rd gear was activated by a foot pedal on the top shelf in the fridge in the boot. They also had a plastic engine and ran on diet coke and wham bars. They also came with an optional extra of a rain roof, it's just a sunroof turned upside down. The trim on the inside was made from banana skin and old parcel tape. The seats were wicker baskets set on upturned blue plant pots and had a 16 point harness all strapped to the A pillar on the passengers side.

And a miniature grandfather clock was stuck to the airbag panel on the passengers side (cause it was a special anniversary, super D duper, edition sponsored by werthers originals), and the arbag was at crotch height because in the event of a crash the 16 point harnesses wrench both the driver and passenger down to the footwell on the passengers side (clever thinking).

Baz

·
Registered
68 Posts
hi mate i bought a gttdi130 and i was told if the TD is in red its a 130 if it TDI in red its a 150 or if you look in the boot at the data badge it will tell you the kw then convert it or look at the front splitter if you have three cut outs 1 in the middle and 1 at each side its a 150 thats what i was told how right it is though im not sure. if you have the main dealer address give them a ring with you chassi number and thay should be able to tell you

have fun

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Mods - please put one of these sticky.......

It would save stuff like this...

i was told if the TD is in red its a 130 if it TDI in red its a 150 or if you look in the boot at the data badge it will tell you the kw then convert it or look at the front splitter if you have three cut outs 1 in the middle and 1 at each side its a 150 thats what i was told how right it is though im not sure. if you have the main dealer address give them a ring with you chassi number and thay should be able to tell you
Golfgttdi - welcome to the forum and thanks for your post, but please do have a look round at what's been posted already - remember every time you don't search a kitten dies...... :)

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
hi mate i bought a gttdi130 and i was told if the TD is in red its a 130 if it TDI in red its a 150 or if you look in the boot at the data badge it will tell you the kw then convert it or look at the front splitter if you have three cut outs 1 in the middle and 1 at each side its a 150 thats what i was told how right it is though im not sure. if you have the main dealer address give them a ring with you chassi number and thay should be able to tell you

have fun
Red DI can be 100bhp, 110bhp, 115bhp or 130bhp depending on the year.

Baz

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
LOL Baz, thanks for that!

Bottom line surely is that, because the dealers have no real rules, and anyway the letters are so easy to swap, do not assume that they mean anything.

Valances/splitters and/or trim can be changed, so don't trust those either!

A better guide is the boot/service book sticker. Make sure they match - they could be doctored too. The only 100% sure way is to check the chassis number through a dealer.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts