Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I have a 2000 4motion 3 door and have a bad water leak.

The water smells v fresh so i have decided it is not from the ground as it would be dirty etc.

This means it must be rainwater. Now, there are no tell tale sign off leaks nor drips, but it makes a big puddle of water in the passenger side rear footwell ONLY!

Has anybody suffered from this or know what the problem may be?

Strange how its one area of the car which is affected.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Shawzy.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
First thing to check is your pollen filter, I've just cured the same leak becuase some muppet during the cars service had snapped part of the pollen filter cover off.? Incase you dont know the cover prevents water from seeping into the filter, inturn through the vents and into the car (passenger footwell)
If your unsure where it is do a quick search there'll be loads of stuff come back as its very common.?
Secondley check the passenger doorseal but you'd probably see signs of water on the trim if it was that.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers for that.

I did a search and found a few items.

What was the solution to yours then?

I have just unscrewd that bit on the windscreen scuttle (4 screws) and revealed the filter.

There was no additional cover, only the one i unscrewd with 4 screws, is that ok?

The filter felt slightly moist. not dripping wet though.

I havent got the time right now but when i do what should i look for? just damage to anything?

I can see what people mean about it being a bitch to get back in. managed it though, its obvious when it isnt done correctly!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I too have this problem. Water gets into the rear drivers footwell ONLY.

I did some searching on here and on vortex. Turns out its comming in through the carrier that holds all the window winding mechanism. I recently removed this to repair my window regulater clips. To prove it was comming through this area i placed some paper just under the door trim near the door light. Then i sprayed the door with water for a few minutes.

End result is the paper was wet and showed exactly where the water was getting in. This rules out a bad door seal, which is what i originally thought it was.

I havent gotten round to fixing it yet but i will double chek all the bolts are tight on the carrier then for good measure i will go around the whole thing with sealant. Fingers crossed that will cure it.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I have the same problem too....but water seems to be getting in by the front drivers footwell first.

Last time it happened pretty sure it was the sunroof channels blocked...had them unblocked and it seemed to fix the problem for a while. But now the water is back.

Think i'll check the pollen filter

Water leaks and VW's go together hand in hand [um]

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I never had this trouble with my beetle!!!!!!!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I had a look at the pollen filter today and it dint look damaged or anything missing, but i would know if anything was missing as i have never had a golf before!! May be worth buying a haynes manual or something to see what parts should be there.

Well i havnt seen any water dripping in from anywhere, this is my problem.

Thanks for suggestions guys, i will have a look into wot u said and let u know. prob try this weekend to see if i can cure it.

Anybody else with anything to add? its driving me nuts!! serious puddle in the footwell at all times!! bloody rainy manchester.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ive got the same problem, water in the rear passenger side foot well! the thing that's really bothering me though is that its only wet between the carpet and the floor mat, the top of the mat isn't wet! I don't know where to start!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ive had similar problems but in the drivers side. do a search in the mk4 forums an alot of good advice comes up. Quite a common one is the drain holes in the sunroof being blocked or the pollen filter case cracked or not fitter correctly. hope this helps [Y]

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As above, i highly recommend checking the sun roof drain holes.

I had a massive puddle in the rear passenger footwell. I poured water down both drain holes. drivers side took the water. passengers didnt and sent the water backwards and somewhere else!! i just cleaned it out and it started to drain.

Before you attempt taking out/wrecking your scuttle and pollen filter check the sunroof (if you have one)

Problem solved.

thanks guys :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
How many drain holes are there on the sunroof? I've found two, one at each front corner of the sunroof, but I know there are four drainage pipes, does each pipe have its own drainage hole?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm also getting this problem but i dont have a sunroof. I've been getting it in both rear footwells now, initially just the drivers side and a i can usually see a trickle of water coming up over the drivers door sill and trickling into the rear footwell when i get in the car. Ive also noted it only really happens when my car is parked up facing up hill on an incline. All this has led me to think its coming from the door rather than any of the other areas people have been considering. I thought it was cos of the doing the LED mod initially and knackering some seal opening the door panel.

As yet i havent figured out what to do with it and how to sort it out undfortunatley, is this info useful to any1 in suggesting how to sort it?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yours sounds like the windows if you ask me. if the seal on the inside of the door goes the water stops trickling down the window, through your door and out the bottom to the outside, it finds its way inside.

do a search and you will find pics showing you more bout this problem.

as for the sunroof; yes there are 2 drain holes. if you fill a coke bottle up and pour a little down and it takes it, no prob. if like mine the water goes backwards thats your prob. unblock the hole.

·
Registered
924 Posts
so does that mean the seal need replacing? how much will that be and is it the inside one or the out seal. is it the ones that runs along the window

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Puddles back again!

I did mess with the drain hole last time i washed my car, so im gonna put a bike brake cable down and see if theres any blockages i didnt pick up on.

As for the window mate, im not entirely sure. if you do a search on the form for window leak it comes up with a link to a handy step by step guide. there is some sort of inner seal in your door but irequires the door card being removed. worth doing if it solves your problem, but its hard to pinpoint the leaks im finding. bloody golfs!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would just like to add that for the benefit of people with this problem it isnt sufficient to just unblock the piping.

When i put a bicycle brake cable down the pipe it did make it better. When i poured water down the drain holes it trickled out the bottom.

You need to remove the drain plug from the car, clean it out as it will have loads of smeg in it, then reattach it to the pipe again.

This time the water easily flowed out. I was quite shocked. This has definately solved the leak problem 100%

Mereley treating the pipe just gives it a little more chance of the water escaping put mine was still backing up on heavy downpours and causing a leak.

Hope this helps people.

·
Registered
101 Posts
yours sounds like the windows if you ask me. if the seal on the inside of the door goes the water stops trickling down the window, through your door and out the bottom to the outside, it finds its way inside.

do a search and you will find pics showing you more bout this problem.

as for the sunroof; yes there are 2 drain holes. if you fill a coke bottle up and pour a little down and it takes it, no prob. if like mine the water goes backwards thats your prob. unblock the hole.
the water never trickles down the inside of the window... so is it the silver inner door casing that needs to be resealed properly at the bottom of the door?the slightest incline and mine start dripping water into the footwell past the sill on either side that is highest.also when u open the door it is wet all along the under side of the door card.i sold my last golf because of the sunroof problem...and because i didnt like the colour green anymore!!!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts