Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
..........bit of an update on things, that's all.

The car's been great - in fact, better than great.

It's been a while since the original map was done, and it achieved 188bhp vs 400Nm (295Lb.ft) on the day and the comparative uplift from stock was very healthy too.

Since then, the car's done about 10k more miles and i've had a clutch/flywheel replaced and the vacuum control block also replaced....so, i'm having them fettle the map if required.

Posted Image

I'm expecting no more bhp or Lb.ft, but may be looking to change to shape of the curves a little.

Oh, and i'm apparently gonna be used as a guinea-pig for a new product.........which was nice!

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Nice one Jon. You'll be going to their temporary premises then while the HQ is extended. Hopefully some of the previous occupant's luck will rub off on you - it's where the Bentley EXP Speed 8 Le Mans cars were built[;)]

I wonder whether the torque can be maintained for longer at a peak level. Curves for my old 8v engine have a flatter peak torque from 2-4k.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice one Jon. You'll be going to their temporary premises then while the HQ is extended. Hopefully some of the previous occupant's luck will rub off on you - it's where the Bentley EXP Speed 8 Le Mans cars were built[;)]

I wonder whether the torque can be maintained for longer at a peak level. Curves for my old 8v engine have a flatter peak torque from 2-4k.
Yeah, it's something to hope for........but look at the power figures...and the shape of the curve....very petrol-esque...

That's why my car pulls fairly solidly to the red line......hold 3/4 gas to 3000rpm then floor it and it just pulls!

I can't be more positive about the job they've done on the map so far - drivability is supreme.......no hint of lairyness at the rubber.

Not ever have i had any noticable soot on the rear of the car either........quite a different story to many remaps.

I'm excited about the new product and am sure it will be a great benefit to all those yet to be mapped.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
So Jon,  do you have a new plot to compare too?  Is the SPS tuning available across the range or just for the tractors? 

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Jon, maybe you can help me...does your car make a "woooooo" sound, starting at about 1200rpm ? Mine does since re-mapping last week - I called in at Superchips this morning to ask if its normal but they had a RR Vogue and a 120d being worked on so I couldn't be bothered to wait. The car seems good - doesn't feel like 180+bhp IMO but I have no idea as i wasn't given any figures[*-)]

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
As mentioned in the other thread I recommend you get the intake connection to the turbo checked and the other intake pipework like intercooler connection - the increased boost has probably dislodged something. 

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
superchips say that they don't touch the pipework - best just to go to the stealers then ?
It is not that Superchips personel disconnected anything, it is the fact that the increased boost can dislodge a pipe that was fixed in place before. You may be able to save yourself some hassle and money by taking a quick peek around the engine bay.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Folks

Just thought i'd do an update on this thread - seeing as i started it !!

Well, I was due there at 1pm, and a very good mate dropped in to see me just before I was about to leave, so I got way-layed in getting away.
So, being late, I had to boot it......the car was feeling OK but I think i'd just gotten used to the power.......something just hadn't been right about the car since it'd been into the dealer some time back......the car was a little lacking in sparkle.

I then realised I needed some motion lotion - the tank was on fumes; so I stopped at the first forecourt and got fleeced ?20 for less than 20 litres of BP Ultimate......and I added some of the magic Millers too.
I set off and gave the car a proper good hiding.......expecting the BPUD and Millers to do it's stuff........it didn't !

So the car was rolled into the workshops and the ECU removed, the original map was restroed in the same way the remap was first added - on the bench, on a superb jig.

That was completed and the ECU re-installed..........
Then, came the new bit - the SPS programming.

It's not a new thing at all - most Superchips dealers have the hardware (the interface adapter) - and they just use a laptop as the workhorse.
The EDC16 code (for the TDi) is, however, very new indeed.........in fact - my car was apparently the first 'customer' car to be mapped with the code in this way........woo-hoo!

It was very quick indeed.......even though the map file is large - something like a megabyte or so.
Having completed that, it was back over to the rolling road to get it tested again.

The car was run three times, and this time I stood behind the car, outside - I have never done that before and was surprised at just how fruity that exhaust note really is !!

After the three runs it was found to be within a gnat's todger of the original figures and hence assumed the map was fine and as before.
Even though the car is considered to only smoke a little - and that's at FULL chat.........it was agreed that we'd leave the map alone, as drivability was priority over peak bhp.......and the car's so easy to drive, I didn't want to spoil that at all.

Job done and I was on my way - happy that it was as good as I could want it.........but that was all about to change......

........I knew how the car was performing on the way down to s/c's HQ, as i'd spanked it all the way down to Buckingham after leaving late.......so how come it was feeling weird?

By "weird", I mean.........snappier and with more push.....
The curves were about the same.......aah, but the original curves were done a fair while back, and weren't representative of any recent power output.

So, I decided it was psychological and left it at that.......

Today, at every opportunity, i've been testing the car......trying to catch it out - to see if it really is better, or it's just my imagination.....and I can conclude that for whatever reason, the car's plain and simple kicking ass!!!

Yeah - strange but true.......I know that the SPS method codes the map slightly differently, but I can't see that making a jot of difference.
For whatever the reason it's sure perkier, and i'm just well-happy!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Good to hear that Foxy. Any idea of when the SPS will be available at all the regional dealers? I was toying with the idea of swapping in for an 330d sport but this might hold my interest for another year as I dont really want to swap the Golf but just losing interest. Also, if they can now do the tuning via the port, why not release it like the Bluefin? That was an excellent product for Fords and allowed you to add and remove the map at will. Handy if your dealer decides to flash your ecu at service time.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Sounds great Foxy, Does this mean you may not be selling her after all ?

Can they remap the 2.0T via the SPS method ?

I am trying very hard to resist having my car remapped until the New Year but after reading threads like this it becomes hard to resist, now if someone would just buy my Miltek system I would have no excuse for waiting [;)]

·
Registered
554 Posts
throw in a GTi rear valance then....[:p][:p]
I've already dropped the price to ?300, would cost ?469 new and only used for 6/8 weeks - GTI valance is @ ?40 looks gorgeous, sounds superb - come on you know you want to......[;)]

·
Registered
554 Posts
I know what you are saying, my pocket is still in pain from an earlier than planned GTi purchase so I can't justify the remap until the exhaust is sold, oh well just have to wait [:(]

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, the car's still no different today, and i'm using 'regular' gas with a shot of Millers at present.

Had one of our members over from Leicester to sample my Miltek (decat and single silencer)....he's had Superchip remap just recently and wanted to see how the Miltek sounded.

We drove around a bit to find some clear roads and then gave the car some hammer.

He was impressed with the fruity exhaust note - not intrusive.

It's tricky to tell as a passanger but he also reckoned my car picked-up quicker than his - having a stock exhaust, but otherwise very similar vehicles.

I'm beginning to think I oughta keep this pocket rocket after all !!!! LOL

Will feedback what Superchips say about the car's renewed enthusiasm.......

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You have the resonated (ie quiter) exhaust dont you? Is that the twin tip or the quad exit?
Rob.....negatory good buddy........I have the de-cat front pipe with straight-thru system to the rear silencer, culminating with twin tailpipes........

http://www.millteksport.com/media.filelist.cfm?mediatype=3&VariantID=139

Notice the two pics of the blue Mk5 on the Milltek site? That's actually my very own car !!

(I don't have those wheels any more though!)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well, the car's still no different today, and i'm using 'regular' gas with a shot of Millers at present.

Had one of our members over from Leicester to sample my Miltek (decat and single silencer)....he's had Superchip remap just recently and wanted to see how the Miltek sounded.

We drove around a bit to find some clear roads and then gave the car some hammer.

He was impressed with the fruity exhaust note - not intrusive.

It's tricky to tell as a passanger but he also reckoned my car picked-up quicker than his - having a stock exhaust, but otherwise very similar vehicles.

I'm beginning to think I oughta keep this pocket rocket after all !!!! LOL

Will feedback what Superchips say about the car's renewed enthusiasm.......
Thanks for the 'test drive' yesterday Foxy! Exhaust has definitely got an edge to it that you don't get with a stock system or the resonated Milltek system. It has a raw quality to it under power - a real growl. But to be fair, not enough to notice when you're just cruising around.

Ride quality is a little sharper than the standard sports setup thanks to the Eibach springs. Judging from the rev counter, yours did seem to rev a little freerer and pulled a little harder, but as you say, it's difficult to tell for sure without actually driving the car. Superchips put mine at 180bhp / 277 lb/ft a few months back and now it's got a few more miles on it and only uses BP Ultimate Unleaded, it definitely has more poke than back then. What is is putting out now and just how much the exhaust system would make to the driveability is the big question?!

One thing is for sure, if you decide not to keep the 'pocket rocket' and you're reading this and looking to get a new motor, Foxy's is a very tasty, unique example - you could do a whole lot worse than parting with your money for his one-off TDI. (That'll be a tenner for that plug please Foxy!).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts